Very slow performance, specially on loading "Overview" and "Discover

Same for me since yesterday; loading time 30:seconds and dropputs accuring. Strange…

Hi All,

Is there any change in behavior if you try to use our latest build (Build 610 - release yesterday)?

No.
30s to load discovery
Overview seems to be faster, 4 seconds (but only tried once, I have to oberserve the next days)

Initially It’s been quicker for me today since updating. More time with it will be needed though to judge it properly.

@noris Unfortunately not…same problems as before…

Hi everyone,

We are aware of some cases where these pages can load a bit slowly. We have some ideas about how we are going to resolve this, but we can’t promise any timeframes just yet. We’ll be sure to keep everyone in the loop as we have more information available.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have read in another thread that having Plex installed on the same server can have an influence on that?
Is this true? And what can be done, besides removing Plex?

I don’t have Plex installed and both those pages described above are painfully slow on my Sonic transporter i9 roon server… They are that way on the nucleus plus I had, and the maxed out Mac mini. So I think it’s a Roon software issue with how it handles big library‘s and multiple streaming services. Let’s hope they can fix it and/or Find another way to use the software without going back to those pages regularly. I know some on this forum don’t ever use those pages but I’ve just kind of gotten used to those particularly as I add new albums on new music Friday etc.

1 Like

Yep. Major problems with slowness.

I moved on to Audirvana today. Nothing but problems.

I don’t think so , will continue to use roon , next year I will not renew . What is the point having paid annual fee for year and for month time slowness problem exists. Features are changed and one can not go back . Instead of roon one should use odl style radio it is still reliable. Considering to move to volumio .

I’m not sure what happened with the last update but Roon has become very slow .

I have very fast internet gigabit speeds.

I really hope this doesnt continue and its with Tidal primarily.

I had the same issue since 6 months or more. The overview page on my mac load in 1-3s, and the “discover” page on my iphone is painfully slow, with loading around 10 to 30s ! No update had fix this, this is getting super annoying

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I don’t know what you experienced, but I think (after one day) that the latest release has fixed the issue!

Unfortunatly no. Discover already takes >30s to load.
And the reload problem if you browse through discover after using overview still also already exists.

No not at all. Slow as a tortoise here especially from boot up.

No update on this issue? It’s been like one year or so… And it is annoying as f*** :confused:

3 Likes

Note I’ve edited this post to correct the difference between Overview and Discover page issues that I noted in my following post.

In my case I’ve found three issues that seem to impact these two pages in Roon. For the Overview page the main issue appears to be when streaming services are enabled, it has to wait for some extra API calls that are relatively slow. For the Discover page I found the CPU config and image cache on the core made more of an improvement.

I got some improvement by tweaking the image cache size. Although it appears in a common section of the Roon Settings pages, it seems to per device. I tried larger cache size on my iOS devices however it made things worse, then i settled back on around 128MB on iPad and iPhone and 256MB on 2 desktops. I didn’t spend too much time trying to find good sizes here, others may have better suggested sizes.

Next I re-enabled Hyperthreading and SpeedStep/Turbo for the CPU via the BIOS on the core server (7th gen i7 with 8GB memory and NVMe main drive) which added some responsiveness back to all pages in Roon, not just these two pages.

These 2 tweaks seem to be what has improved the Discover page performance.

Lastly and most significantly for the Overview page, I found from the Roon server logs that there are a 3 API calls that take many seconds overall sometimes much longer. They appear to relate to streaming services functionality, in my case Tidal. The calls appears to be to a Tidal related API on a Roon cloud based API endpoint, ie not an API call to a Tidal endpoint, and they only appear in the logs when viewing the Overview page.

For example in this example the Overview page took about 4 seconds to render, which is relatively quick in my case

01/22 15:36:24 Trace: [tidal/http] GET https://api.tidal.com/v1/featured/recommended/playlists?countryCode=NZ&offset=0&limit=30 => Success
01/22 15:36:25 Debug: [easyhttp] [5790] GET to https://tidal.roonlabs.net/1/featured/top/albums?offset=0&count=30&c=tidal-nz returned after 853 ms, status code: 304
01/22 15:36:25 Debug: [easyhttp] [5789] GET to https://tidal.roonlabs.net/1/featured/new/albums?offset=0&count=30&c=tidal-nz returned after 872 ms, status code: 304
01/22 15:36:25 Debug: [easyhttp] [5791] POST to https://discover.roonlabs.net/1/profiles/<profile-id>/albums/newv2?count=400&c=tidal-nz returned after 1129 ms, status code: 200

If I temporarily disable Tidal integration, the Overview and Discover pages are super fast. Re-enable Tidal, back to slow.

In my case this will be in part down to the size of my library, about 1000 albums across local server and Tidal, however that would seem strange for these two pages as they shouldn’t need to query the whole library.

I think this is much more likely to be slow in my case because I’m in New Zealand and the nearest Roon API and Tidal API servers are likely in the US.

That contrasts to the geolocation specific servers that Tidal and Roon use when actually streaming Tidal content, ie when streaming the domain names being used all resolve to content IP addresses here in New Zealand and there is little if no delay starting Tidal streams.

FWIW I’m on a 100Mb/s down 20Mb/s link with about 11ms latency to my ISP, which is consistently fast for most things, so I don’t think that is related to the issue in this case, ie the issue is at least in part due to the physical distance of New Zealand from the rest of the planet.

Part of the performance issue for these API calls could also be at the cloud based Roon endpoints.

Before these tweaks, I used to get response times 8+seconds from desktop Roon client for the Overview or Discover pages, and much more than than on iPad or iPhone, somewhere around 10-20 seconds. With the core server cpu changes and the image cache tweaks, the desktop client is down to around 3-4 seconds most of the time, but its not consistent, and is sometimes a lot slower, say 2-3 times slower. iPad or iPhone, its more like 8+ seconds most of the time and sometimes a lot slower.

When I turn off Tidal temporarily, its not quite instantaneous, but say around 1s on desktop and maybe 1-2 seconds on iPad.

So the biggest culprit, in my case at least, appears to be the way the Roon UI for the Overview page behaves when you have a streaming service enabled, and it has to wait for some remote Roon API calls which are relatively slow.

Just following up on my last post, I’ve had a chance to look into the Discovery page behaviour, and I’ve found it doesn’t make any remote API calls like the Overview page does, and it is now mostly fast for me from the Windows Roon client and iOS remote client. In hindsight this probably got faster with my Core cpu changes and image cache changes.

The remote just talks to the core, so if core has delays at getting this info, the app will. I have noticed that searches and going into albums has some incredibly slow responses as times a few others have to, Roon will hang for 20+ secs I have had merely a minute sometimes, during this time Roon is happily streaming music from Qobuz yet can’t retrieve this info. Then when it returns all is back to normal and fast. Look in logs and you can see a big delay in it returning search.