Vibration control? Fact or fiction?

As an engineer, I call bullsh1t on all this vibration stuff unless you can back it up with measurements. Without an empirical and mathematical framework, how is anything designed? How do I determine if the PCB in the component needs 6 mounting features or 4? Should the feet be compliant or rigid, etc.

We have instruments that can measure to the ppm levels for vibration, and also electrical signals. They are relatively cheap to rent or borrow. This should be a super easy thing to test out, but yet nobody selling pucks, or cones, or dots, or whatever seems to do any of that due diligence. As such I refuse to take it seriously.

Sheldon

12 Likes

They made some logical sense under turntables. I have them under my TT2 and mscaler cause they look cool.

4 Likes

Country System:

SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers

Pass Labs XP-20 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps

ARC REF2SE Phono

SME 20/2 table SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI

Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt

Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge, Klaudio RCM

Roon Nucleus+

Lumin X-1 Network Music Streamer

Skywire balanced IC’s, Teo liquid speaker cables

3 dedicated AC lines

Shunyata Everest, Omega XC, and

various other Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC’s throughout.

Stillpoints under everything.

City System:

Ayre KX-R Twenty Pre

Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks

Esoteric K-03 SACD Player

Roon Nucleus+

Lumin X-1 Network Music Steamer

Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers

Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR

Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC’s throughout

Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

10 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck:

You should post it here, where more people would admire it.

Nice rug, BTW. :laughing:

Just wondering how how your highly resolving system was built if measurements don’t reveal anything.

3 Likes

Electronics design would just be banging rocks together if measurements never reveal anything. I can assure you, they are critical to properly functioning everything.

The relationship between musical enjoyment and realism and measurements is not well known, but measurements to produce accurate reproduction is VERY well known and has been for a long time.

Sheldon

5 Likes

The number one question that comes to mind: are you 100% sure we have the right equipment at hand to measure the alleged impact vibrations have on sound quality? Are we sure we can measure all relevant variables regarding this matter?
It’s just like the good old speaker cable discussion. Claims that speaker cables have no effect on sound because measurements have “shown” there is no scientific differences are flawed at best imho. Comparing a silver cable to a copper cable in my set was very obvious. It’s for this reason I tend to focus on my ears instead of instrumental measurements.

Not trying to change the subject, I just think it’s a perfect example that we should be mindful regarding 1-dimensional measurements vs something as complex as the human hearing combined with human perception and emotional envolvement.

maybe not to asses the impact on musical perception. But certainly to see if a metal cone under my preamp is doing anything to the electrical signal or the vibration of parts of the structure. Modal analysis and signal measurement are mature fields. The efficacy of these things should be easy to judge. After all this is to improve or reduce vibrations, right?

Sheldon

Trying to pick those apart or neutralise some of these is the aim of an “empirical” approach to some degree? I’m willing to question whether the measurements are adequate if blind listening tests indicate audible differences. Sighted tests give a free pass for perception and emotion to muddy the picture IMHO. For differences “too subtle” to be detected in blind tests I’m in the “then I don’t care” camp. FWIW audible differences in speaker wire wouldn’t surprise me but I suspect it’d be measurable as well. My dislike of speaker wire is one reason I prefer active speakers :wink:

It really tied the room together.

3 Likes

Very nice!

I think these or the 350.8 are my next amp upgrade. I leaning towards 350.8 for the space savings.

Nice marmot, too.

But I am a nihilist. I care about nothing. Other than poking logical holes in audiophile fantasies.

AJ

2 Likes

To me it’s to improve the overall sound quality. I know that my Isoacoustics Orea dampers reduce vibrations really well. It’s measurable by just laying your hand on the equipment. What is more interesting is the audible result; better focussing. It’s particularly well audible with good quality recorded vocals.

1 Like

The Dude was wrong. From an appropriate website -

A Youtube of the event -

And then there’s this -

3 Likes

I’m too busy to read all this. But blasting through parts was fun. Loved “Measurements will never reveal anything”. Gee, I’m an experimental neurobiologist (includes auditory perception btw) who runs a substantial lab. All those years, all those pubs. All those measurements. I must really have it wrong…

Cheers,

12 Likes

Good to hear you’ve learned the error of your ways :rofl:

3 Likes

I think we need two factor authentication to reply to topics :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m curious. Does this hold true for anything other than “sufficiently evolved” audio products, or are the some sort of special case that defy the laws of physics?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over isolation pucks because it’s most likely a gimmick devised by dealers. When considering this sort of thing ask the people on Audio Science Review who are very level headed and knowledgeable. I doubt that RME recommends them. They didn’t recommend all those exotic power supplies either. You have a wonderful DAC—keep it simple and enjoy it.

1 Like

Christ I put a doorstop on top to stop cables moving around and look what it’s caused.

:upside_down_face:

11 Likes