Vibration control? Fact or fiction?

I’ve done exactly the same, all of the very lightweight boxes keep moving so the doorstops offer some stability. I’m “outed” now so probably will get a pile of negativity fired at me :wink:

3 Likes

I’m told that McIntosh now sells a heavier LB100 box you can put those lightweight boxes into. No need to resort to doorstops!

1 Like

Yep, the cleverly named LB200, a mere snip at $1500.

1 Like

A bit of a misnomer, possibly, lightweight & $1500…mercifully it’s only available in the States…
:kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

12 lbs. How much do these doorstops weigh?

I have several doorstops on my pi endpoints for similar reasons. They are just too light and cables pull them this way and that if not held down with a weight. They don’t change a thing audio wise why on earth would they. Isolation stuff works for Turntables where you need to minimise vibrations for obvious reasons and it does help with speakers to some degree, but other electronics not in my experience it’s just nonsense.

4 Likes

Blu tak works for me to keep light weight items in position

1 Like

Have you tried any? If not, why just only hearsay? Give it a try before jumping to conclusion.

2 Likes

Or museum wax.

[Moderated] The pucks did absolutely nothing for either my amplifier or my DAC, at least certainly nothing audible. Being a minimalist I found them to also be a nuisance. But, since that is merely my opinion, I referred the OP to the far more knowledgeable people at ASR. See what the RME people recommend—they are quite helpful.

Those tiny panels under those massive windows sure look pretty. Swoon.

I use blu-tak to “lock” a 38kg subwoofer to the floor (as recommended by REL)…

Hearsay? Hearsay is “information received from other people which cannot be substantiated”, which isn’t the case for most of the info on ASR.

Or accept that there’s no logical explanation as to how they can possibly make a difference for most pieces of gear, so give them a miss.

2 Likes

Vibrations, unusual sounds, the unexplained. We could be talking about ghosts and poltergeists. All this audio-foolery is nothing but folklore. There will always be believers and… those who logically justify their premise or conclusion.

2 Likes

My Esoteric N-05XD Streamer DAC is prebuilt with their patented footers. And there are many other brands of DAC and amplifiers which are designed with special isolation footers. The footers are not just to prevent noises or vibration generated by the components (eg. Toroidal Transformer) but also vibrations from external getting into the components. If you can feel the ground rumbling then there is vibration.

Then again, I will hear and feel more effects on source such as CD player.

I always figured they added things like “isolation footers” in a desperate attempt to justify their outrageous prices. Unless they’re really badly built, a little vibration now and again isn’t going to alter electronics with no moving parts.

But if you believe that marketing stuff, maybe you should also invest in a set of third-party footers, just to make sure.

1 Like

Not having this conversation to argue with you or anyone. Just stating my experience. And yes, I used Isoacoustics Gaia footers on my speakers. Definitely make a difference. You are, of course, free to stick to your beliefs. As long as you are enjoying your set, that’s good enough. And I’m not advocating or trying to convince anyone to buy or use isolation products.

2 Likes

I’m looking at the Stereophile review of the Technics SU-G700M2. “The 7mm-thick aluminum used in the front panel is said to improve vibration damping.” Careful man, Ken Micallef. He doesn’t say that it does; he just says that he heard someone say that.

1 Like

I thought nihilists believed in nothing.

2 Likes

My first thought was FunTack! I remember my mom sticking everything everywhere with FunTack. :joy::rofl::joy:

I like the idea of museum wax better. :+1:t2:

1 Like