Vinyl vs CD Sales

Luckily? Do you think facts are dangerous too?

Just rip them and cache them in the cloud. Extreme weather is becoming more likely.

That was the main reason the CDs had such a success: the absence of the tape/record additional noise was perceived by the many as a better sound. Also, another perception related advantage, in a very large prices range ($50 to $1000 for example) all the cd players sound the same. Fast forward one or two years after their apparition and people started to realize the artificial soundā€¦

Marvel? :slight_smile:

I still have my Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck in my attic, it was the Rolls Royce of premium cassette decks in itā€™s day (and probably still is). But I have absolutely no desire to put it back in useā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

That means all DACs sound the same. Iā€™ll let audiophiles respond to that.

There was a context there and the idea was not how one or other cd player sounds.

1 Like

I never liked the Nak decks as machines, but Iā€™m more a r2r guy and once I realized that no matter how much Iā€™ll try no cassette is going to sound like the reel tape, I just settle for some more ā€œexoticā€ (computerized operations, stuff like that :slight_smile: ) decks, though the NAKā€™s automatic azimuth qualifies for that but I had no use for it since I only had my own recorded cassettes (and always on the same deck).

Enjoying well done engineering can be as fun as enjoying a better sound. Anyway, I never had a Dragon, CR-7 I believe was my apex from NAKā€™s world, and as far as i remember it was a fantastic good sounding deck (but still a far cry from a good r2r).

Pardon the off topic intermission.

Small bands, I have read, are using cassettes to promote themselves.

1 Like

Lots of small run limited edition cassette sales available on Bandcamp, always makes me chuckle.
But I am always happy for userā€™s to pick their own media, so while not for me, welcome back cassette tapes

1 Like

Not sure how the sound of a CD is more artificial than a vinyl record or a cassette tape or wax cylinder. Theyā€™re all artificial methods of capturing the sound of a live musical performance. Digital recording is no worse than vinyl except it has a much wider dynamic range and no surface noise. I can demonstrate by recording a vinyl album from my turntable to my computer. The resulting playback is indistinguishable from the original album complete with ticks and pops. I guarantee, if you didnā€™t know it was digital you wouldnā€™t be able to tell. Iā€™ve done this many times with my own collection and Iā€™m convinced digital recording is more than adequate to reproduce a so called analog sound. I suspect any deficiencies you may hear are the result of poor mastering not the medium.

2 Likes

Very common of late as it is pretty easy and relatively affordable to make a small run of decent quality cassette tapes.

One of our lrs promotes some local bands this way and sells their tapes in his shop and I have bought a few and they are not bad at all quality wise.

In all honesty I could not care less what media anyone favours, enjoys etc.
As long as they are enjoying music thatā€™s what counts!

So less criticism and more doing!

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Not sure why sell physical media on Bandcamp when you can sell digital. Anybody should be able to make a digital recording at least as good as a cassette.

I find it a bit strange when artists sell ā€œLimited Editionā€ vinyl but the CD version is often available in much smaller quantities. To my way of thinking, the media with less manufactured will be more sort after by collectors as there are less of them.
I often see this on Bandcamp so happy to buy the CD to put it away in the archive/collection. Donā€™t even need to open them up as you usually get a downloaded copy (sometimes hi-res) so no need to rip them either.

1 Like

Agree and itā€™s not for me either, but for a big fan you get the digital as well at no extra cost, so I can see that teenage me would probably have loved it and bought loads of vinyl and cassettes

Yes I think this is about collectibles, and with sometimes only 100 to 500 being made I think it is for the True fans who want something that they can look at as well

1 Like

I bought vinyl until the early 90s. CDs were sooo expensive, I mean Ā£16.50 for a Beatles album! Then CDs began come down in price and I bought a fewā€¦then out came the iPod and iTunes.

Somehow buying an album or a track on iTunes only gave initial satisfaction, I wanted something physical too. I started to buy some properly remastered CDs of my old vinyl and got a decent system to play them on. iTunes music started to sound thin and cheap.

Then I discovered Roon and Kef LS50 wireless speakers. I buy CDs and rip them to my Nucleus which sits on a house ethernet network. I buy both new and used CDs and just rip them straightaway. I quite often pull out a jewel case and check out the stuff on there too in addition to the excellent stuff provided by Roon.

Whilst streaming CD quality files is appealing I remain happy with my growing collection of CDs, a cheap hobby enhanced by commitment to Roon.

1 Like

Yeah, I have them all on LP, tape, CD, CD remastered, Apple USB thingy, special anniversary remaster, Giles Martin special remaster, and so it goes on. Tell me itā€™s not about marketing (and my gullibility)ā€¦

3 Likes

You can send it my way thenā€‹:grin::grin:
Shame to see it just collecting dust.