VitOS as Endpoint

I have been using a fanless NUC running AudioLinux as a Roon Bridge with good success for several years. It has been rock solid. Hard to say how it compares sonically to other implementations since it is really the only one I have used.

With this in mind, and having a restless nature, I decided to try VitOS running on a Pi4B. The parts come today but the potential seems great for a total investment of just over $100 USD.

Has anyone here tried VitOS? How did it go?

Thanks!

1 Like

If you are going for Raspberry Pi 4B, Iā€™m afraid you also need a ddc with dual nice clocks inside.

Oops. I misspoke. I should have said Pi functioning as Roon Bridge, not as an endpoint. I will have a DAC attached via USB to the Pi just as I have with my NUC. No need for a DDC.

I have edited my initial post to avoid confusion.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Running VitOS on Pi4b for a good couple months now. Been rock solid thus far.

2 Likes

l replaced an Allo USBridge running DietPi with VitOS Pi4 a week ago. So far, it runs solidly nonstop as a set-and-forget appliance with a touch more clarity and deeper bottom end.

VitOS does not support the outboard Ethernet via USB3 adapter which I used with USBridge, and I feel that the Pi4 USB implementation needs help from my iFi iPurifier3 add-on. Plus, as previously suggested, I do convert USB to the AES my powered speakers need with a Singxer SU-6 DDC.

DietPi offers a whole lot more functionality, such as UPnP and Squeezelite, while VitOS is not configurable by me and hasnā€™t been updated in years. But it sounds good to my ears with my system, even though Iā€™ve seen comments calling it ā€œthinā€ or ā€œflatā€.

Iā€™ll be interested to hear what you, and others, have to sayā€¦

1 Like

why not RoPieee?

1 Like

@mourip , for many of us that tested VitOS when it was originally released (10/16/2020), there has been one update on 12/07/2020. Since VitOS runs the same version of Roon Bridge as many RPiā€™s do, thereā€™s no audible sound quality difference. Why VitOS attempts to convince us that lower latency results in better sound quality is beyond me. But I still have one RPi running VitOS just for fun.
Thereā€™s even a post in this Community on how to install the necessary packages to run VitOS wirelesslyā€¦ which appears to defeat their marketing claims of ā€œmust be hardwiredā€, but hereā€™s the link if youā€™re interested:

Thanks for the tip Neil. I received all of the parts for my setup today. I bought a RPi4B. All went well until I tried to boot it up. I am getting the green ACT light with 8 blinks. 4 long and 4 short. This error seems to be ā€œunsupported board typeā€.

I emailed the Silent Angel web site and within a few minutes got a reply. VitOS does not support the newer 4B board. I guess that makes sense if they have not updated the OS since 2020.

I will probably try the Pi version of AudioLinux or one of the other distros out there. Basically I just want a good sounding ā€œapplianceā€. My Linux skills are nada!

2 Likes

I am biased, but RoPieee is a great choice for an appliance-like experience on Raspberry Pi hardware. RoPieee | Software

@mourip DietPi will give you the most flexibility when it comes to monkeying with settings (my fav). But you canā€™t go wrong with the current version of Ropieee. Harry ten Berge has done a fantastic job of making Ropieee the easiest way to get Bridge running, of all the choices available.

As for flashing the current version of VitOS to an SDCard and booting it for the first time, Iā€™m surprised it doesnā€™t workā€¦ there is another build on GitHub, but the last time I checked, it was the same version as the last release. Best of luck with your RPi.

Downloading Ropieee as I type. Based upon the PDF it looks very straightforward.

1 Like

I had been using VitOS for RPi4 for a number of years with great results. However, Iā€™ve recently switched to AudioLinux for Raspberry Pi 4. Iā€™m equally happy with the sound quality and happy to support a product that is, well, supported.

Silent Angle has abandoned their free VitOS offering, which I think is unfortunate. I would have happily sent them my $69/year instead if they had kept it going. Oh well.

Ironic that Iā€™ve gone the opposite way, but AudioLinux on RPi4 is the new ā€œVitOS.ā€ :slight_smile:

Thanks David. Actually I initially built my RPi based upon your very clear YouTube video. Assembly was a piece of cake. I am now working with Ropieee since the dated VitOS did not work with my board.

Currently the RPi shows up on my Unifi network console but the green light it blinking regularly every couple of seconds. I have not connected a DAC yet so I am hoping that is the what the pattern indicates.

You should be able to access the RoPieee web user interface by opening the address of the RPi in a browser. This will work even with no DAC connected. Failing that, try connecting a display to the HDMI port and rebooting to see whatā€™s going on. Good luck.

@David_Snyder , you (should) be able to download the last build from SourceForge (I just did). The .img matches the last build I downloaded 12/2020.

New download:

Previous downloads:

Is there a new revision of the Pi4B boards? I just checked my most recent bought one with latest VitOS, running without issue.

1 Like

@Ryno_Carstens, and they just announced the Pi 5 preorders for the October 2023 release.

Ropieee is a good option too, provided you donā€™t run into compatibility issues with third party hardware as some of us have with new Ropieee releases. I still run at least one board with Ropieee on WiFi.

Itā€™s your thread and videoā€™s that introduced me to VitOS. AudioLinux has been on my radar, but is it really worth the annual $69 if only using Roon Bridge and none of the other features? Kinda wish they had a trial/demo version to try first before committing.

2 Likes

My last comment on this (no, really!). Iā€™m with David. VitOS is unsupported now, so thereā€™s no future to look for. I boot my VitOS SDCard on occasion for fun, but itā€™s no longer part of my Endpoints. My best.

Yes, I saw. Some here already have early access to the Pi5 boards for review.

1 Like