Vodafone Germany w/ ISP-Supplied Modem/Router (Fritz!Box or Touchstone): Ongoing Discussion

well aware of roon have been using it since Aug 2015 :slight_smile:

Great. You appear new to the forum. Mods are pretty reasonable here, and regular trust level members have the ability to make some thread modifications. That’s how discourse works.

As a long term Roon forum member and user myself, you can look for help from the forum, seek invdividual assistance from specific expert members or seek (AT) support assistance if you truly need it.

Cheers ----Robert

Vodafone Germany - I made one telephone call through the service hotline. I argued that there is a need for VPN to a server. No problem they changed my DS-Lite Account in iPv4 Account. No other changes, no extra cost. 30 Minutes it works with Roon ARC.

2 Likes

I exchanged my Vodafone provided Router to a new Router (Fritzbox 6690), that i bought myself.
Unfortunately Roon Arc still isn`t working for me.

This is the diagnostic data:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“95.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.178.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

I guess i have to wait till Roon provides a solution for people like me. Im not that keen on changing my Vodafone contract to a professionell one, and i also dont want to waste time arguing with a support person, to make him change my IP.

Oh well…

1 Like

Hello Jens,

Same for me. I use the official Vodafone cablemodem and have attached a FritzBox 7590 for my internal network. I decided, as well to wait until Roon provides a different setup. It is difficult to get a static IP and the business tariff is not available for the generic user. I had some discussion with the Vodafone support guys concerning this matter. I use qobuz and Apple Music in my car or on the road in the meantime.

Viele Grüße aus Krefeld
Tom

It is. Just takes a change of contract. You don’t need a business. Note that there are the contracts labeled “Business” like Red Business Internet 300 Cable, and there are large business accounts for if you are an actual large business. These are not the same. The former are available to any consumer as well. (The only difference to consumer accounts is the public IP and a slightly increased service level. Price is very similar)

1 Like

Good to hear, but I got the information from a Vodafone support clerk. I will give it another try

I just made the switch to the Red Business 300 Internet Cable with the additional option of public IP (5 euros. starting with the 500 Mbit it’s included), and on the Vodafone forums it’s a common recommendation by moderators, to get a public address for sure.

In a residential contract they may give you a public address if you ask nicely, or they may not, it depends. And if they do they can always take it away because the contract does not cover it.

1 Like

Unfortunately the prices aren’t always “very similar”. The “Business” variant can be much more expensive, although Vodafone pricing is somewhat intransparent and varies a lot. (You may already know this – I’m posting to encourage other people to check before switching and also so that Roon staff are motivated to keep working on the underlying problem. :wink: )

In my case the switch from Home 500 to Business 500 would mean paying 22 euros more per month. The only benefits would be the public IP address and (allegedly) better support.

It may depend on your old contract if you happened to have a particularly cheap one, but the website says

• Home 500 Cable for 44.99 incl. VAT, the first 6 months for 19.99.
  • Business 500 Cable for 44.90 w/o VAT (53.43 with VAT) but the first 6 months are free

As an existing customer (in Berlin, currently paying 44.99 incl. tax) the best price offered to me for the Business 500 package is 59.90 + tax = 71.28 euros. If I try to change packages online it’s even worse (77.23).

I’ll have another look when I return from (Roonless) holiday, but based on my experience so far it seems fairly typical of the way Vodafone does business. :exploding_head:

I am also on Berlin and am paying the price that’s quoted on the website. I just switched 3 weeks or so ago

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try calling them when I have time to spare, but right now the only way I can see the price you quote is by pretending not to be an existing customer. Otherwise it’s this:

@Ian_MH
FYI, it looks like it’s still valid.

Weird. I had called them as well to switch both my mobile and my cable to Business, and I got the full rebates as per the website. No setup fee, first 6 months rebate down to zero euros, and the permanent 10 eur Gigakombi rebate for the mobile + cable combination package. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ian_MH Though maybe it’s relevant that my old contracts had already run beyond the 24 months lock-in period.

You can always threaten to switch to another provider as soon as you can if they aren’t accommodating.

1 Like

Thank you both. :slight_smile:
@Axel_Lesch It looks as though adding the static IP address is only an option for slower “Business” packages. If that’s the case then switching to Business is the way to go. That’s something to tackle on a day when I have time and patience for the phone call, as there really doesn’t seem to be a way to achieve this online.

With Business Cable (I don’t know about DSL), the public IP is an additional option in the 100 and 300 Mbps contracts (5 Euro plus 19% VAT). However, you have a contractual right to this option (while you don’t in Home contracts).

With 500 Mbps and faster it’s included without needing to exercise the option.

That is on the cheaper end. In the US, going to a business account with a static IP at the same speed would be over a $200 usd a month increase over my current residential plan.

Good news:
Just called Vodafone to change my account into an iP4 one- no hassles, I now have Dual Stack with ip4 Adress. No extra cost, since my contract allows 1000Mbits/s download.
Bad news:
Port forwarding still doesn’t work.
Error code:
{connectivity": {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect EHOSTUNREACH 176.aaa.bbb.ccc:55002, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“176.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.178.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"; s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">\n<s:Body>\n<s:Fault>\ns:Client\nUPnPError\n\n<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">\n606\nUnknown Error Code\n\n\n</s:Fault>\n</s:Body>\n</s:Envelope>”}
Hope someone can make sense of that one.