Vodafone Germany w/ ISP-Supplied Modem/Router (Fritz!Box or Touchstone): Ongoing Discussion

Sometimes it’s necessary to call the Vodafone hotline several times until you find someone who is willing or able to help. When I was moving to another place I was in contact with this place of horror (technical hotline) every second day for weeks. Unbelievable how clueless these people are. At the end I was getting a call back by someone, who obviously knew everything, solved everything and clicked a check box to make my homebox for free (unlimited).

1 Like

@Butz
Silly question, did you reboot everything, modem, router, switches, core and phone?

I appreciate your sophistication, but can you elaborate why you think I ask a silly question?

Axel meant that he is asking a silly question, because often this was the first thing tried, anyway. It’s an expression meant to put the silliness on the questioner, so that the person who is asked does not feel silly for not having tried this.

3 Likes

OK, thank you for clarifying and sorry for overreacting- being stressed with open port hassles . Have rebooted router but not yet Roon core and phone and will get around to do that

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification Suedkiez :slightly_smiling_face:

@Butz
Please excuse my misleading expression.
If the reboot doesn’t help, is there a firewall somewhere that you can try deactivating?

3 Likes

Sorry about the misunderstanding - mea culpa. Your suggestions proved right: after I restarted Roon Core ARC became available and has been stable since. Would be interesting to know how the error message reads to suggest “restart Roon Core“.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:
It’s like a panacea.
Good to hear it worked.

1 Like

Several calls later I was able to convince the support hotline of Vodafone to provide me with dual stack! So far so good, but I am in NRW and it seems that the Vodafone station is not able to offer me the bridge mode setting. I spend hours in the VF forum and did not find a real solutions. So I am stuck with the double NAT issue, because I run my internal network on a FritzBox that is connected to the Vodafone Station

The only idea I have to solve it is to buy my own Fritz!Box Cable Modem and get rid of the Vodafone station to avoid the double NAT issue.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Kind regards
Tom

The 6690 Cable is the top model you should get and many people use it with VF.

2 Likes

“Good things come to those who wait” or better, to those who act :wink:

I had some discussions with the Vodafone support until I could convince them to release “Dual Stack” for my account. However, using a Vodafone Station and a FritzBox 7490 were still a barrier. As old Unitymedia Customer (NRW) I am not able to use the bridge mode on the Vodafone Station (strange, but a proof that the Vodafone network still makes a difference between legacy Vodafone customers and former Unitymedia customer). So, I invested 200ish € for a FritzBox Cable 6690 and canned the Vodafone Station and the Fritz!Box 7490.

The result:

Summary: It’s possible, but it takes time and money (for the new box)

3 Likes

I fully agree, Sven!

Hi @Wolfgang_Ahrens,

Regarding the post you’re bumping, rest assured Roon is making progress on an out-of-the-box solution for users with IPv6 public addresses, like the Vodafone customers on this forum. In the interest of averting rumors, I won’t give specifics, but internal testing has yielded positive results so far.

Ideally, we’ll soon have ARC in a position to automatically configure port forwarding, even for users with major-market CG-NAT situations.

5 Likes

it makes me very happy to read this, thank you for the update. Looking forward to your solutions

Hold it back for a year or two please, so that my Vodafone ordeal was not for nothing :joy:

I should add that my FRITZ!box is rented and my private VF contract allows for 500 Mbit download, Fritz OS 7.29.

Thank you so much, Connor, for swift and positive reply. Meanwhile I called the Vodafone service number (northern Germany), explained the problem and asked for a public permanent IPv4. It took 10 minutes and I got it. :blush: I just had to confirm the contractual change by email, which took another 5 minutes and I was done!

Then I rebooted my room core nucleus and my FRITZ!Box 6591 and now it works! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks to all the others in this forum who helped with their useful advice! :heart_eyes:

Best,
Wolfgang.

3 Likes

+1 on that issue!

I guess I will just wait for an Update…I just found myself in the same situation: Vodafone cable (in Germany, NRW) with DS Lite Tunnel and ARC does not work…

Many thanks to the Roon-Team for all your efforts on this (and on other) topics. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

I am with Vodafone Germany too.
Roon Arc is not working yet.
Hope for an update.

2 Likes