Volume going to max using Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

HP laptop FTS 5 GG3 / Intel I-5 6200 / 8G ram / Windows Pro 10 / Roon 1.7 build 505
Samsung SM-T720 Galaxy Tab S5E Snapdragon 670 / Android 9 / Roon 1.7 build 505
Currently at 11,489 tracks

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Spectrum Cable supplied Motorola modem (model unknown) 100 mbs speed tested / TP-Link AC1750 Archer C7 Router / Linksys SE3008 switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NAD C388 ethernet connection / Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E Wi-Fi

Description Of Issue

With newish (6 months old) Samsung tablet experiencing Intermittent locking up of app. Also constantly losing main display of info so only bottom play bar is displayed, making it necessary to close app and restart. Biggest issue is when using app volume control around 60-70% and releasing finger sent it to max volume twice within a week, blowing one of my new B&W 702 S2 speakers. This occurred around 30 days ago, and have been using NAD remote control for volume since then.

Hi @Steven_Salmacia,

Have you tried using Roon since the update to Roon 1.7? There were some changes to this area of the Android app so it would be good to know if you’re still seeing the same behavior since the update. If you do see this issue can you make a note of the time it occurs? We can then enable diagnostics and take a look.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I’ve been using new version on a daily basis as well as most recent update. It did the same behavior last night (12/4) at 9:46 PST. A friend told me I could limit max volume level in the software and now have it limited to 75, so no more blown speakers this occurrence.
Also, what’s up with the app constantly going blank and locking up on my device?

Best,
Steve

Hi @Steven_Salmacia,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Is this only happening on Android? Are you experiencing this on other remotes?

Yes, the only problems we’re having are on our Android devices ( both the same as listed in our system specs).

Hi @Steven_Salmacia,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I’m hoping you can try rebooting both your Core machine and Android device. Once you’ve done this, launch Roon on the Android device and let us know once you’ve done so.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan
Have closed and reopened both main computer and Android device. I assume you’d like Android app left open all the time going forward?
Thanks for your diligence on this!

Hi @Steven_Salmacia,

I just wanted to update you and let you know that the diagnostics report did come in now. It’s been passed along to the team and I’ll be sure to reach out with their feedback as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan

Just wanted to let you know it went to full volume again on 12/14 @ 10:26 PM.

Best,
Steve

Hi @Steven_Salmacia,

Just to confirm, when this happens, is it going to 100% or to the volume limit that you set? Can you share a screenshot of the volume limit settings that you have set?

The team is trying to reproduce this issue but so far we have not been able to. If possible, could you record a video of this behavior occurring and share it with us so we can better understand how we might be able to see this occur in our QA labs?

Thanks1

I am thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e. May I know if there are any outstanding issues. Thank you

Hello again

Don’t know how to do screenshot, but min level on my output (NAD C388) is set to 0, max is set to 75. Not possible to do video as no way to know when it’s going to happen. As described previously, when releasing finger from volume slider above 60 it occasionally goes to max (now limited to 75) by itself.
Also, screen continues to go blank except for playbar and lock up.

Best,
Steve

Hi David

Yes, we’ve been having problems with volume slider going to max by itself (had to limit volume on my output device to save further damage to speakers). Also, screen keeps going blank except for bottom playbar and locking up.

Best,
Steve

1 Like

Thank you Steve. I have been using a friend’s S5e and no problems so far after a day. I have volume setting on FIXED and use the volume control on my pre-amp. I also find the audio sounds better by not using the Roon volume controls. Have you tried this? Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.