Volume keeps getting set to 80 [ was issue with community built RHEOS extension ]

Roon Core Machine

Rock 7i7

Networking Gear & Setup Details

N/a

Connected Audio Devices

Any

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

@support On restart of Roon server it set all audio devices to 80 volume. Tried this a number of times and it resets then back to this volume on some of the zones but not all even after setting them lower again. Had to reboot due to ARC hanging my core and noticed since all my zones have been set to 80% when I have come to them since especially if powers on or Roon is in control of the zone and itā€™s not been usedā€¦

I just turned on my FiiO M11 and it almost deafened me. It seems to be ignoring Roon volume limits. This is dangerous and could damage someoneā€™s hearing and or kit.

Tried this a few times after setting audio back and some zones are setting it back to 80. Done thjs 3 times to test its random zones each time. One in control in current controller at reboot stays as it was but others get set to 80. Ones I donā€™t use Roon but the My Harmony extension are ok. This is also affecting Chromecast and Sonia devices and Roon Bridges with hats.

2 Likes

I can confirm that I also had two occurrences where the volume of my NAD M10 V2 was set to the far right of the volume slider.
After this I set volume limits, including a comfort setting. I later experienced a similar behavior with volume being at the far right of the slider, past the comfort level.

1 Like

@moderators be good to get notice of this to support asap please before it causes some very angry customerā€™s.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming Sven. This isnā€™t good.

Hi @Simon_Arnold3, @SvenM

Weā€™re obviously investigating your report, but development has asked for a little more narrative clarity to help illuminate our dive into logs.

Youā€™ve reproduced three times with three separate Zones, all after a Core restart - I assume you initiated playback from the Play Now button on the Kathryn Williams album in the screenshots?

Can you please confirm the phone with which this occurs is on iOS 16.5.1? Are you able to reproduce if you have an iOS Roon Remote on an earlier iOS release?

Obviously test at your discretion and perhaps with speakers disconnected, but is this increase 100% reproducible for both of you in Roon Remote after a RoonServer restart?

Yes I was using my phone as remote as I usually do. But when first I noticed the 80% volume it was on my office rig on Friday morning, day after reboot and I think I was using macOS remote but memory hazy. Used same phone for all on Sunday. I donā€™t have Lock Screen control active at all so we can rule that out. My phone is on 16.5.1 I have no other iOS device to try. I will try using my windows remote after reboot and see if it does it there. Itā€™s not pressing play that changes it itā€™s like this before it.

1 Like

@connor same on windows it also didnā€™t change all of them, my chromecast zone stayed as it was as did my headphone pi station in my office. Sonos set high as was my bedroom pi rig with hat and main office pi rig powering speakers with hat. So this is across remotes and not iOS only I am afraid. I have not turned on my DAP but assume it might be the same.

1 Like

Hi @connor

The two occurrences where I experienced the issue did not involve a mobile device. In both cases I started playback from my MacBook acting as a Roon Remote. The MacBook is currently running MacOS Ventura 13.5

The two times I experienced the issue were when starting playback after the MacBook had not been used overnight. If memory serves correct, I had performed a restart of the Roon Server the night before.

Earlier tonight I tried to restart of the Roon Server but I was not able to repeat the issue.
Iā€™ve stopped playback for today and restarted the Roon Server once more in an effort to reproduce the issue tomorrow morning.

Iā€™ll keep you updated with any new information I may have.

So far not much luck in reproducing the issue on my side. Last night after shutting stopping playback, I restarted by Roon Server and left the MacBook as I alway do. When waking the computer this morning, all zones were at the exact audio level I left them the night before. Iā€™ll keep trying various scenarios and post when I have something meaningful.

Hi @SvenM,

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted if you encounter this again.

Hi @Simon_Arnold3,

These are helpful details. The team is hoping for a specific timestamp for when you notice the volume change. If you notice it while initiating playback, can you provide the name of the queued track?

Are either of you using any Roon Extensions from third parties on Github, etc?

1 Like

Hi @connor,

Thank you for following up.
Yes I am using 2 Roon Extensions. I am using ā€œRHEOSā€ as well as ā€œRandom Radioā€.

I did a little digging in my backups and was able to locate a Roon Server log from the 2nd time that the volume change occurred. Although Iā€™m certainly no expert in analysing the Roon Server logs there are some entries that appear to confirm my experience:

07/29 20:19:19 Info: Starting RoonServer v2.0 (build 1299) production on linuxx64
07/29 20:19:19 Info: Local time is 07/29/2023 20:19:19, UTC time is 07/29/2023 18:19:19
07/29 20:19:19 Trace: [roondns] loaded 29 last-known-good entries
07/29 20:19:41 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] SENT [5]{"request":"subscribe_controls","controller_id":"e3b639fd-fd4b-48ca-a33d-8ee3bc3a7ac3"}
07/29 20:19:41 Trace: [dspengine] loaded DSP config {"version":3,"items":[{"type":"bs2b","enabled":false},{"type":"parametric_equalizer","enabled":false},{"type":"audeze_presets","enabled":false}],"headroom_adjustment":{"type":"headroom_adjustment","enable_clipping_indicator":true},"sample_rate_conversion":{"type":"sample_rate_conversion","sample_rate_conversion_mode":"none"}}
07/29 20:19:41 Trace: [transport/audeze] picking preset lowlatency 
07/29 20:19:41 Trace: [transport/audeze] picked null preset!
07/29 20:19:41 Trace: [zone Bureau (Roon)] Loading from /data/RoonServer/Database/Core/b2ad08410e2c4f0793476d06065f72ea/transport/zone_16015609ff4c9a7c7bdd9759572ad76b6d5d.db
07/29 20:19:41 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] GOT [3] {"status":"Success"}
07/29 20:19:41 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] GOT [5] {"controls":{"volume":{"mute":false,"type":"db","step":1.0,"max":-30.0,"info":{},"min":-70.0,"value":-50},"source":{"value":"standby","info":{}}},"status":"Success","action":"Changed"}
07/29 20:19:42 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] SENT [7]{"request":"update_volume","value":0}
07/29 20:19:42 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] GOT [7] {"status":"Success"}
07/29 20:19:42 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] GOT [5] {"controls":{"volume":{"mute":false,"type":"db","step":1.0,"max":-30.0,"info":{},"min":-70.0,"value":0},"source":{"value":"standby","info":{}}},"status":"Success","action":"Changed"}
07/29 20:19:43 Trace: [roonapi] [apiclient 192.168.50.18:34728] GOT com.roonlabs.transport:2/change_volume {"output_id":"17015609ff4c9a7c7bdd9759572ad76b6d5d","how":"absolute","value":80}
07/29 20:19:43 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] SENT [8]{"request":"update_volume","value":-30}
07/29 20:19:43 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] GOT [8] {"status":"Success"}
07/29 20:19:43 Trace: [NAD M10v2 @ 192.168.50.106:32805] [raatclient] GOT [5] {"controls":{"volume":{"mute":false,"type":"db","step":1.0,"max":-30.0,"info":{},"min":-70.0,"value":-30},"source":{"value":"standby","info":{}}},"status":"Success","action":"Changed"}

192.168.50.18 is the local IP address of the RHEOS extension.
I donā€™t know if this helpful, but if needed, I can upload the full log file to a location of your choice.

I already said in my previous two posts it sets the zone volume on reboot it has nothing to do with pressing play. Select zone its at 80 if I check the volume before playing. I am using 3rd party extensions as I was before the last update and had no issues. I use deep harmony and RHEOS, roon extension manager and Ropiees display extension. But neither zones using the deep harmony or RHEOs extensions are controlled by Roons device volume control, the extension allows then to be mapped to use external volume by IR on the amplification devices and are not affected by this issue at all. Only ones controlled by Roons device volume are affected in my case and only one uses the Ropieee display extension.

Edit:
Ok. Just disabled all extensions and on reboot all zones returned at orginal volume. Started to enable extensions one by one and it looks to be RHEOS casuing it. No idea as to why as its not controlling any of these zones at all. It has a max safe volume setting which happens to be 80 so corresponds to whats happening but why on zones its not even active is a mystery. will reach out to the developer.

@connor thanks for bringing up the idea of extensions as this is the problem bizzarely.

@peter_richardson i think you need to look at your extension as its causing volume issues with non RHEOS zones. You max volume setting is affecting every roon zone that are not using RHEOS. You need to fix this asap please. I have lowered it to 25 to stop this in my setup as I control volume using Deep Harmony, likely not possible for @SvenM

1 Like

Thanks for sharing - Iā€™ll take a look and get out a fix if I can se how this is occurring.

2 Likes

@peter_richardson adding on some additional information that may or may not be helpful and/or related:

• I have the impression that Airplay zones are not affected
  • My NAD M10 V2 is setup with volume in db rather than %. This is likely why my volume was going to max (0) rather than 80.
  • Strangely enough Roon always reports the volume on my RHEOS (Marantz SR6015) a 0 prior to startup, although the actual volume on the Marantz is different. As soon I a change the volume using Roon, the volume is shown correctly for the remainder of the listening session.

My volume does not work well tend to set it to 0 which is why I use Deep Harmony instead as it bypasses Roons control and uses IR direct to amp.

In my experience it is setting Sonos, Chromecast and Roon bridges and Roon Ready zones to 80. Anything using Deep Harmony to control volume via IR was unaffected.

Why itā€™s affecting all zones is very odd as I had rebooted on previous version of Roon and this did not happen, api bug or did something change.

Thank you both for the additional information. As you may be aware , Ive been working on the volume control issues reported to date (volume creep and volume shown as 0 for AVR/Amplifiers), The setting to 100 was something I had only experience once with fixed groups and had added a max safe volume that was meant to only control them as the create a virtual player that may not have had ROON safety levels set,

Itā€™s not at all clear why this may be affecting non-HEOS players and other RAAT zones (or even why this was observed once on fixed a fixed group). I am making some adjustments to the code to try to further prevent this and also adding specific logging to see what the state is when this may occur.

The decibel control is an useful observation and I need to see how this could d be related and ensure this could not interfere.

CrystalGipsy - I realize you have a fairly complex set up, based on your various devices and itā€™s great that you are trying this out. but realize you were hoping for a set it and forget it implementation (which will be when we get this out of beta status). Iā€™m going to add a default that switches off the more experimental ā€œfixed groupsā€ and ā€œAVRā€ control features so that they can only be enabled by those wishing to explore and help with their development. (Their isnā€™t an easy way to have a stable and development version on ROON extension manager) If you are willing to help investigate further, a down load of the log files from extension manager would be very helpful after you observe the problem. In addition could you confirm that the affected outputs are named differently from any of the HEOS players and that no ā€˜fixedā€™ groups have been in use and the effected players were not grouped in any other way?

Thanks for your patience - I will try to get this out over the weekend.

Peter

I use RHEOS on my Marantz amp only nothing else so no idea what the fixed groups is. Everything is set to defaults except for metadata. I would not say my setup is complicated itā€™s just one HEOS device, I only use My Harmony because of the issues with your extensions volume control in Roon. Doing this has prevented this system from this volume bug. Yes I have other zones that are made up of various protocols but when I have used LMS2UPnP before itā€™s never caused problems with other zones. Itā€™s an odd one as to how itā€™s doing this.

I am sure you will get to bottom of it.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.