Volume limits ignored when device is reconnected

Roon Core Machine

Intel(R) Core™ i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz. Ubuntu server. Build 935.

Connected Audio Devices

THX Onyx DAC/Amp

Description of Issue

The device has an internal amplifier so it is configured to use “Device volume”. The volume limit is set to max 20:

If the device is reconnected it will output the max volume of the device regardless of the limit that is set. The volume slide bar shows 20 as max but it is set to 100. The +/- changes the volume in a range over the max (20), but clicking the slider itself sets it to 20.

I expect portable devices like these to get replugged quite often and this issue risks damaging sensitive headphones. This problem has persisted across software updates (still an issue in build 935, macOS).

Hey @Linus,

Welcome to Community, we’re happy to have you! We’re sorry to see that it was an issue that prompted your visit. My apologies for the delayed response and for your wait.

I’m sorry to hear that you were having issues with Volume limits on your headphone DAC.
This doesn’t appear to be a Roon problem, I’ll address why in a moment. What you’re experiencing is likely due to how UAC2 volume implementation is being handled on the device itself.

A. Roon does not change the volume of the device unless the user explicitly uses the volume slider or buttons.

B. The Roon volume limit prevents the Roon controls from setting the volume over a certain value, but it cannot prevent the device from changing its own volume.

C. You may be able to avoid this by using DSP volume instead of device volume. See last paragraph in this article and please give this a try:

Please let us know if this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.