Waiting for Roon Server problem

Since the latest release I have begun regularly having playback issues with the error message, Waiting for Roon Server.

After re-booting Roon and the iMac, Roon plays fine for a period of time (15 mins to sn hour) before halting playback while the server is re-connecting and starts playing again. It then plays for a few minutes before stopping again with the same message. The frequency of stoppage appears to increase until I reboot everything, but the same cycle continues.

This occurs both when playing on the host iMac, as well as when using Roon Remote on an iPad thru other speakers, amplifier and DAC in a different room. It also occurs playing Roon on my iPhone. Finally, the interruptions occur when using HQPlayer and without.

The frequency of stoppage has become so bothersome, I avoid listening to music at all. Please help! I have had Roon 5-6 years and never had problems this severe.

System
Ethernet throughout system
2017 iMac hosting Roon Server
Simaudio Moon 280D DAC
Innuos Zenith SE bridge
SOTM switch; ultraRegen switch
Paul Hynes power
Audio Research tube amp

Bruce

You’re probably not going to like this suggestion, but personally, I would test by simplifying your network. Replace the SOTM switch with a simple unmanaged switch and remove the ultraRegen switch and see what effect that has on your issue.

One other thing to try would be to playback through a Zone setup on your iMac itself. If the issue disappears, then that would point to it being an issue with your network.

I appreciate you reaching out to help, and it’s not that I don’t like your ideas, but the problem occurs when I’m playing Roon thru the iMac’s speakers without ever going through any of the switches, bridge, DAC, etc. Those devices are all in a completely different room/zone. For both reasons I don’t see how they would have any affect on roon not playing on the iMac where Roon Server is located.

If there’s something I’m overlooking, please let me know.

Thank you

Bruce

Ah, OK, I missed that you said that the issue occurs on the iMac as well as the other zones. Apologies.

What is the spec of your iMac (hardware and OS)?

I think we’re going to have to wait until your issue reaches the head of the Support team’s queue and they can pull logs from your Roon Server for further investigation.

No worries. 2017 iMac. Latest Ventura software.
I’m going to see what happens if I shut down all other programs. Thx for the help. I’ll keep you posted on any test results while I make my way up the support queue.

How about when just using HQPlayer? Fire up HQPlayer client and play some music keeping Roon out of the playback chain.

Will see. Need to see if its a processing speed issue first. Thx.

Today I listened to roon after shutting down all other apps/programs on the iMac host. I did not listen via the iMac built-in speakers, but instead was in my upstairs listening room. I use ethernet to network all devices.

Everything was working great for 3 1/2 hours when I experienced the first “roon has lost control of the server” message. Over the next 20 minutes it occurred every few minutes after hitting the Play button to reconnect roon. It was so persistent I had to quit listening.

So, I’m still looking for help. Thank you.

This may be off the mark, but have you looked at the Energy Saver settings on your iMac? Reason I’m asking is that Apple updates sometimes “helpfully” change these to a more energy-efficient configuration, which is fine for interactive use but not for a server that has to be always on. Here’s how I set up my Mac Mini M1 server (for HQPlayer, my Roon servers are on Linux):

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 7.04.48 PM

Thx for the tip. I take it the blue settings are “on”?

I’ll see if there is something similar on my iMac.

Love easy-to-implement-and-test suggestions like this!

Bruce

Yes, blue is “on”.

Made a few Energy Saver iMac adjustments. Let me know if you see anything else here that might help.

I have made changes to energy saving as suggested, but I continue to get “Waiting for Roon Server” interruptions on the iMac when both playing music using the computer’s speakers AND navigating around roon with and without music

It occurred this morning again on my iMac where roon server is located. When I started navigating around roon without music this morning - I always leave the iMac and roon open - the error occurred while trying to navigate to a different artist multiple times. I finally shut down roon and then the iMac and rebooted. I have done the reboots on several occasions so know this is not a remedy, simply a temporary fix.

Hope I can get roon support help asap. Thank you.

Hey @Bruce_Orr,

How many active internet connections do you currently have running with your iMac? If possible, please test out restricting it to one ethernet connection and see if you experience the same issue. Make sure there is only one active ethernet connection.

If you do, please share the specific date, time, and track playing when it occurs. Thanks! :+1:

Another thing to test - try running your system without any airplay devices and let me know how it goes.

Lastly, which router are you using?

Thanks for reaching out, and thanks in advance for your patience.

Not sure I know if there’s an easy way for me to determine the answer to your question by looking at settings, but…I have on ethernet cable. The computer itself is connected to 2 external storage drives.

I did just realize that wifi was also on, so I’ve now turned that off.

Ethernet runs from the ATT router, and to various other devices in the system change.

I feel like there must be more you are asking?

Bruce

Hey @Bruce_Orr,

If you head to your Mac System Settings>Networking what do you see in terms of your network connection?

If you only see one active ethernet connection, go ahead and reproduce the issue and share the date, time and track name.

Let me know if you’re able to test this out as well. Thanks!

Hello Benjamin

I am still having issues with the roon losing control of the server. This is happening when playing roon (with or without HQP) on the host iMac and thru the computer’s speakers. I believe it would also happen if played thru the zone with DAC and remote speakers.

I have already made suggested adjustments to Energy Saving opportunities, turned off wifi (which was unnecessary because the iMac and all other system devices are networked with ethernet), and Airplay is not used with the iMac.

The iMac is from 2017 running most recent ufaye to the old Ventura software.

Any new thoughts? Thank you.

Hi @Bruce_Orr,

Thanks for writing in and providing an update! Sorry to hear your issues persist. :-1:

I was able to review a fresh diagnostic report from your Roon Server, and see a pattern of connection issues when attempting to playback tracks from Tidal. Do you experience any issues when only playing tracks from your local library?