Waiting for the Great Leap Forward

DIrac or even TEQ intergrating!as add-on of couse,happy to pay extra.

I know, right? Iā€™m ok with all of those ideas, except the Google bit (though my love of lazy convenience struggles with my sense of privacy). Iā€™ve actually suggested the upcoming-shows feature - the data is in Roon already, it just needs to be better accessible. The lyrics idea I got from listening to radioparadise.com. Their playlists are like that, sometimes very subtle. Best Halloween playlists ever!

Ive already brought a case I am hoping that someone will crack the motherboard used in the NUC and I can buy one without having to buy a case as I have a better case than the one they are going to use and even though it is bigger it does not matter where it sites as I will have it in another room and access over the network

Agree totally with Paul_Bulter, Roon is still very far fron where the ultimate music experience needs to be. I would expect the following:

1. Much better search and selection of genre. Not everyone out there is into current pop. Jazz and classical search is severely deficient in my opinion plus dozens of other genres.

2. Random radio play only selects from your own library. It should search the music world at large to introduce you to new things like Pandora does.

3. Higher quality. - while Roon is good it is still a long way off from my best vinyl playback quality.

The list could go on but for those who are satisfied with this, all I can say is your standards are way too low.

1 Like

I donā€™t see how you can blame Roon for not matching your vinyl system. Roon just delivers your digital files to your endpoint which may or may not match your vinyl. If you listen to MQA files you will be getting the studio master. The rest is down to an individual set up.
Iā€™ve had Sooloos and Iā€™ve now got Roon. I never noticed any sound quality differences. If I want better, its my system Iā€™ll have to upgrade and not Roon. Chris

1 Like

True, I was thinking about higher quality digital in general. There is still a lot of low rez stuff out there. I know this is not Roonā€™s fault Just the fact that many ears donā€™t seem to hear the difference so the music industry keeps pushing the same old crap. Many of the top DAC vendors arenā€™t buying the MQA hype. I havenā€™t heard the ā€œfully unfoldedā€ version so I canā€™t comment.

PS, I would add ā€¦
4) the ability to have multiple level tags and more sophisticated search capabilities. e.g. I would like to tag my Jazz vs Blues but then within each have sub categories for ā€œKansas city bluesā€ or ā€œPost Bopā€ in Jazz etc.

There is still an awful lot Roon could do without even thinking hard but perhaps that will be left to the next great music software to come along.

You should take a listen. The MQA stuff sounds lovely to me. I play it on my Bluesound Pulse 2.

Please donā€™t turn this thread in another MQA thread, we have enough of these

1 Like

(Last week I did consider posting an MQA amnesty topic. No more discussion or mentions of MQA until if/when the feature comes out in Roon. But I decided not only would it be pointless, it would add yet another mention of MQA. It seems for some it has to be injected into literally every conversation).

1 Like

Isnt this just a few clicks away? Under album view use focus genre and then if you click the small arrow next to the main genre you can select a huge number of sub genres and view just those.

Or just type post pop into search and it will come up with anything tagged with the post pop genre.

If you donā€™t like Roonā€™s categorization then there is always the genre mapping feature.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Genres

What more are you looking for here?

I canā€™t find what you are talking about. When I click the focus button it gives me some data in my listening history and a colored wheel graphic by my genres. I donā€™t see any arrows for sub genres. Can you give me some screen shots?

Just click on the colored wheel or the list of genres and you will get another pop up window that you can select genres or sub genres from.

Oh OK, found it. This reminds me of those video games where you have to just click on lots of things to see what might happen. They could make it a little more obvious.

Try clicking on the years graphic as well - fun for all the familyā€¦

Are you intentionally trying to make this an accidental discovery experience or is it just that the millennial developers who create this stuff have an entirely different paradigm for software interaction than the rest of us?

2 Likes

I donā€™t work for Roon, I just read the manual and enjoy playing around with the UI. I am also 68, and hardly a millennialā€¦ :grinning:

2 Likes

I appreciate your dedication and persistence (and also your help in using this :)). I guess I have little patience for reading manuals and playing with UIā€™s. I just want it to do what I want when I want it to - typical pain in the ass customer I guess.(age 62).

User interface design, thereā€™s a whole new topic. Has there ever been a 100% intuitive interface design? A book perhaps, but then its useability is dependent on the language it is written in. Your expectation of how something should work will differ from the originator or any other human because we all see and use things differently, particularly when it comes to software. In Microsoft Word there is a phenomenal amount of functionality, however most people donā€™t use a fraction of it. I donā€™t hold a pen the same way as you do, but we can both write, though your handwriting, spelling and grandma is most likely better than mine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure your grandma is a fine woman. :wink:

2 Likes