Walkthrough : Roon in a Docker container on Synology DSM 7

I don’t. As I understand it, both approaches are viable.

Nothing dumb about it!

I upgraded to DSM 7 first. After that I removed the (by then) incompatible Roon Package installation I had running in DSM 6. After that I followed the instructions above for the docker installation.

In DSM 6 I had no dockers running.

Hi, I’ve a problem adding the music shares after the DSM and Docker installs. I was able to successfully restore the backup, and can access external streaming services, but not my NAS based music. So ROON is running fine, but no local data.

My music is in a share called /volume2/music, but whether I add that to the docker volume list or try through ROON , I can’t get it to work.

Incidentally after the restore I ended up with 4 separate entries on the container tab. I deleted all but one.

Thanks in advance

Hi, Ian.

Sorry you’re having trouble getting things working. Per the walkthrough, you need to first map the folder into the container from within your Docker container settings and then, once you have Roon up and running, you need to choose that folder from within Roon.

I’m wondering if perhaps you haven’t done both of these at the same time since you write that you can’t get it to work whether you try one or the other.

If you’ve already done both, it might help for you to post screen captures of your mappings in Docker and your library settings in Roon.

Hope we can figure this out!

Hi Greg,

No worries, it’s great you managed to get something working. Yes I tried the mapping via the container, but even I selected the directory via the container view it didn’t seem to be recognised. In the terms of the mapping is there a particular form it should be entered, eg /volume/music.

Oh, and from within ROON, how would the folders be added?

Actually, ignore me. I found the music folder listed amongst the list of container folders. All is well

Glad to hear it!

Although, the restore didn’t work, as the drive mapping in the backup wasn’t recognised by the new version. My original ROON used the ip/volume/folder, for folder identification, which didn’t match that within the container. I rescanned my albums, and given I’ve only 500 it matters little.

So, than that all seems well, and in fact because I stream most music these days, having a local folder structure will in time become less important.

It made me realise how infrequently I play old albums too !

Now to try and understand DSM 7 !

I run several applications on docker and of course, all of them are running under the main directory called /docker.

Given that I want to move my Roon database on an SSD but want to keep the remaining docker applications on the HDDs, is there a way to point just my Roon docker installation to the SSD, in a name other than “docker”?

Hi, @Nikos_Katagas.

You can store your app, data, and backup folders on whatever volume you like. When you go through the setup process illustrated in the first post, you’ll “map” each of these physical directories into the docker container’s logical view.

This means that you don’t need to put the Roon docker container itself (the OS image) onto the SSD (though there may be a way to do that). Instead, just put the data folder there and map it into the container. Doing it this way will get you the database-on-SSD performance that you’re looking for.

Hope this helps.

Hi @gTunes , you’re quite right; the package seems to be quite agnostic of the actual directory locations. I mapped the /data and /app directories on my SSD and kept the backup directory on the HDD and it works just fine!

Thank you for your time and answer.

By the way, the reason I tried the docker implementation for Roon was because the beta DSM 7.0 package hangs all the time. The docker image however seems to be perfectly stable. Thank you and of course @Steef_de_Bruijn for your kind contribution!

Glad that worked and thanks for the kind words!

Thank you so very much for this walkthrough. After following your instructions and then rebooting my NAS, my Roon is up and running again. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello all, on my NAS Synology DS1821+ (DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2), i 'm upgrading step by step to DSM 7.
So, first i am use a docker Roon sever instead of Synology package (Thank’s to @gTunes and @Steef_de_Bruijn )
Operation is done, with some interrogation about music files folder … That’s all virtual but music folder is same as before uprgrade. Some interrogation !
Now,il migrate to DSM 7, new comming soon !

update 27/09:
Hi, DSM 7 upgrade done ! Music is playing again from Roon PC/IOS remote. Good Job @gTunes and @Steef_de_Bruijn

last update
'm not sure but i have a database backup issue now. See Roon database backup fail (DSM7 / Docker Roon Core)

Thanks so much for this, I followed your steps and everything went as outlined.

I really really appreciate it, the DSM7 issues with the Synology package were driving me insane.

Especially the Tidal integration which is completely broken for me in the beta RoononNAS was a big issue. Running it on Docker solved it and I could not be more happy,

Just wanted to mention, that this issue on RoonOnNAS should also already been resolved since version “20210727”, if ffmpeg has been supplied in the RoonOnNAS/bin folder.

Thanks for that update!

I just installed as described and the move went off without a hitch! Thanks for this!

Then today I saw this notification from Roon about needing an update. https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/linux-performance-improvements#Whats_happening

Do we need to do anything? If so, what? And just as importantly, how?

Hi everyone, I just got a mail from Roonlabs that annonced some Upcoming Linux Performance Improvements (c.f. https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/linux-performance-improvements)

Is there a way to verify if the latest (2021-10-19) steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver image is eligible for this upcoming update ?