Was Anyone Hoping that CD Ripping Would Be the Next Feature Enhancement?

I thought this worked on rock installs? So not just nucleus, anyone with an el cheapo NUC?

Yes, it is in ROCK. The trickle-down effect at work…

Since the Nucleus is creating the files, it seem crazy to suggest that it can not write metadata at the same time.

Shouldn’t it write the basic metadata to the file like any other ripping app would?

It doesn’t need to - and if you ever want to move away from Roon, then export those album files. The metadata will be written then.

Sorry, but to me this doesn’t make any sense at all. Roon’s idea to leave files untouched is great. But once you start ripping with Roon there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t write any basic meta data at the get go. In your example it would not matter if Roon would write during rip or after export.

Hi all,
have you noticed that there is already an extension for ripping CDs, including AccurateRip and getting (basic) metadata?

3 Likes

I don’t think you can install extensions on the Nucleus or Rock setups…

@Speed_Racer

You’re right, but it would be possible to install this extension on another machine connected to the network (a roon endpoint, for example). At least this would be an approach for people who value AccurateRip and tagging.

The extension wouldnt work for me on my NAS when I tried it so gave up. Really don’t get all the fuss about accuarip it’s really not that necessary and is just audiophile paranoia if you ask me. For the small amount of discs I have that have had a bad rip since I started and that counts iTunes 10 years ago I can count on one hand.

1 Like

I was speculating that tag writing could come later with an update of the Roon app. Could well be that Roonlabs didn’t want to duplicate a functionality into the Roon OS which already exists in the Roon app – but will make use of it later. Who knows, maybe a Roon app update is imminent? :sunglasses:

Ok I see your point about this being more about hardware product parity.

Still, with the undercurrent of frustration among some in the user base that Roon seems to deliberately avoid, or at least has long neglected, basic inter-operability with organizational schemes like custom tags and folders, ripping FLACs with no metadata seems tone deaf.

That is mitigated by export. But you still have to have Roon functioning to do so. I just wish Roon would do the good stuff without reinforcing its closed silo aspects. Would it have been that hard to add artist, album, track and genre tags?

Exactly.

10 chars.

This sounds a little bit tin foil hat to me frankly. If you really need to tag your files there are plenty of ways to do it. If you are ripping direct to what is intended to be an appliance, like Nucleus, presumably you don’t care that much so long as it works once it’s done?

If and when you extract your files from the Nucleus they have basic tags applied which can be enriched once outside of the device in a tool of your choice.

4 Likes

Personally I really can’t understand peoples reactions.
I don’t give a hoot about classical box sets or modifying Roons internet radio, but if updates happen in these areas or any other part I don’t use, I won’t moan about it because I did not get what I wanted in the update. All new features are welcome in my view. Not all are likely that simple either.

4 Likes

You’re the lucky one.

Not wishing to be rude, find a big classical set on Tidal and try to maneuver your way around it.

Then think of the poor souls who have this as their primary music source, you will see why we moan a bit.

Alfred Brendel 114 CDs completely un-indexed :smiling_imp:

Unfortunately I’m not at home to suggest an example.

1 Like

How can you compare it to Tidal. It’s a streaming service that someones done that manual hardwork already or the studio provides the metatdata. It’s like looking at someone else’s curated library. Does any other music software handle it any better for CD box sets? I know people using Naims Uniti Core have the same issues. I don’t think this is a Roon only problem is it? Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like classical causes problems across the board.

A post was split to a new topic: Alfred Brendel 114 CDs completely un-indexed

Yes sorry forgot the real name.

If you don’t care about a function, that is fine with me. But if I care, it’s no transgression to state my case. Roon is a great piece of software that adds a lot to enjoying music.

But, Roon seems almost deliberately non- compliant with pre-existing curating schemes, whether embedded custom metatags or organization by folders. It feels like a lock you in strategy, and I’m not for that.

Ripping without metadata reinforces that perception.

I don’t mind that Roon spent the resources to do it. I just think it’s tone deaf to roll out yet another way that your effort is locked only into Roon. Export or not. You have to have Roon to export too.

I know all the self-appointed defenders will come out and say then just don’t use it. But I’m a paying customer and it is perfectly fair to comment on the product’s closed silo design philosophy.

Ah OK, cue the self-appointed defender, i.e. me, to roll out the alternative viewpoint. And that is, yes Roon has a silo - its object-based model is far richer than anything else out there at the moment. The ID3 metadata model is two-dimensional in comparison with what Roon offers.

And yes, if you use Roon for your collection and listening experience, you will get something that other products don’t match. It’s not for everyone, that’s clear. But if Roon goes down in flames, or I ever tire of it and want to go back to a two-dimensional music player, I know I can do that. I’m not painted into a corner that I can’t get out of.