We should be allowed to participate in a beta program

Tried everything but no, it does not work for me, neither on iPad nor on Win10.
Cannot scroll below the „Artist influences“ section …

EDIT: Only works with Qobuz/Tidal, so not with me …

They have done this already its for those who got the preview. Those who got into that are now beta testers going forward. They did not give enough time between setting this up and this release, so little could get changed that was flagged but we did flag alot This will change as we now have access to beta at any time they release one.

Normally you can register for Qobuz, without subscribing for a streaming plan. That is, if Qobuz is availble in the country you are living in.

Except for palying music of course, you should be able to benefit from all Qobuz information through Roon, also this one.

Dirk

1 Like

Thanks for confirming what I said before. Roon does not have a professional beta testing strategy.

1 Like

What makes you think the beta program didn’t catch any of these bugs? Releasing with known issues is a fairly common practice. Usually they are qualified as ‘no show stoppers’, but that’s clearly in the eye of the beholder :wink:

Well, be happy - we are all part of the Betatesting team :wink:

Beta testers are for sure something roon would be having, and those chosen would have the capability to cope with issues that often a beta will ultimately inflict, like corrupted databases and lost settings etc that program like roon would possibly have over a full development cycle.

Not everyone wants this kind drama in their live’s but we should respect those who have put in the time and effort to help roon get their releases out. I’m sure it’s not for the average joe. I remember being on Windows 95 beta team many years ago and a lot got broken before it got fixed.

No amount of beta testing will catch everything, but roon has done a great job getting such a challenging UX out and I’m sure even if it slipped out a few moments too soon that they will tweak things as they always have to tie up any lose ends.

And props too to the moderators that try to keep everyone here in the right places and joining and splitting threads to keep everything relevant. That’s a job I couldn’t cope with :relaxed:

1 Like

I totally agree, but crashing when system is running on a different locale and an entire setup section missing on such a boutique system as Windows 10, is hardly a little thing, that was overseen.
Roon is selling worldwide - so testing different language setups is really very important. Plus it has been 14 or so months… As I wrote before, it is totally undersatndable if small bugs creep in.

1 Like

I cant write Bug reports as quickly as I discover new ones… These Roonies should have stayed behind closed doors another 3–4 months to ripen their product first.

this is getting seriously embarrassing. The intentions are good, but the execution is just totally shameful.

3 Likes

Lol the only reason why we can find one for David Bowie, is because it’s literally one of the only ones that’s there. They don’t have any for Michael Jackson or other more ultra famous artists because it was done for 1.8 update promotions.

Inviting us 48 business hours before releasing to show us what terrible bugs we’re stuck with is more insulting than helpful to anyone. The bigger issue is that all of these bugs could ship without Roon QA being aware of them.

1 Like

I completely agree I don’t think any of this was caused by bad intentions. They tried to do what they thought everyone would enjoy but sadly it didn’t turn out to be the case, I don’t understand some of the people who say “I’m leaving Roon” when what happened with this update wasn’t even close to bad enough to consider parting from Roon.

2 Likes

It’s not, but the reality is that when you completely gut tagging, you’ve created hours of problems for each user that relies on that feature. And that’s just one feature. Bookmarks based on tags broken. This uprooted dozens of hours of user work for their own Roon library, and now we’re stuck waiting on fixes that may never come. Re-learning how to deal with the terrible tagging UI (like removing tags) isn’t an acceptable outcome. Where were the user studies? Where was the feedback from ANY USER THAT THIS WAS AN IMPROVEMENT OR EVEN ON PAR?!

It’s not bad intentions, but Roon is slow to fix non-crashing bugs, and it makes me worried some of these poorly thought out limitations simply can’t be fixed in any reasonable timeframe.

4 Likes

I find MJ and plenty others „In their Prime“, even Dead Kennedys (!), but no Prince or Elvis, so I guess Roon is building them while we write here.

I’ll stop worrying for today and will just listen to some good music now…

1 Like

Interesting, they must be

I assume you’re using Tidal? None of those are present for any artists in my library. They didn’t market that all of that new UI (besides the overall theme) is only for streaming users. It’s completely deceptive marketing and makes me sick.

2 Likes

Agreed on a more comprehensive/open beta program. I saw a roon employee state recently that “beta testers had to be managed” or something to that effect, he was insinuating that more tester= more work which is why the beta program has been kept so small.

Roon needs to reconsider how they are approaching this.

Still love roon!

2 Likes

Yes, I use Tidal and Qobuz. It seems like this „extra“ content is only available for users that have accounts of one of these services. Which is a bummer for all who don’t, I agree. It was not clear in the communication that these features are not seen if you don’t stream.

It‘s also a missed opportunity - for Roon, but also for Tidal and Qobuz. Why not grant any user access to that data - some may choose to subscribe to a streaming service once they realise, that listening to any of that content could be just one click away…

2 Likes

I think you may find you are!

.sjb

2 Likes

Ohhhhhh that makes so much sense, if you disable Tidal then it doesn’t pop up but if you enable it, everything comes up! That’s so stupid it should work for everyone offline without a subscription. I usually disable and enable my Tidal HIFI account a lot on Roon so that sucks.