We want your ideas for Playlists!

Thank you for addressing playlist functionality at long last.

It is clear most people use playlists for individual tracks. I, on the other hand, build playlists from albums and then shuffle the list on playback. Adding albums to a playlist is easy. Deleting an album from a playlist is an incredible pain since it must be done track by track. There needs to be a way of deleting an album from a playlist easily, probably from the album view. Now that we have playlists listed in album view back, it should be easy to remove an album from a playlist from album view. I believe I asked for this once before awhile back.

Also it would be great if duplicates could be deleted from a playlist in an automated fashion, rather than track by track manually like it is now. Sometimes I am sloppy enough that I find hundreds of duplicates in a playlist. This should be a user choice rather than pure automation.

1 Like

Have you considered using Tags for labelling your various albums instead? I think that will take you further towards your goals.

1 Like

Yes, but itā€™s not a functional substitute if youā€™re syncing playlists between music playback systems, like I am. And as long as Roon isnā€™t available remotely (ie, outside my network), like Plex, then syncing playlists between music playback systems is imperative.

1 Like

Great point. Continue the logic, and imagine being able to add-to / delete-from playlists using a search/filter-by-attribute feature. That would be awesome! (Also, quite easy to program/create.)

2 Likes

Totally agree Mac.

Is there any news of being able to add our own art to a playlist? Would save me having to have a compilation album taking up space when I have all the songs on other albums

1 Like

The title of the thread should probably be changed as this point.

4 Likes

@mike can hopefully shed some light into this - otherwise itā€™s quite useless to keep this going on for years.

1 Like

Basic information in the playlist itself:

1. similar to when going to an individual album: see if any of the tracks are in other playlists,
  2. see how many times track has been played
  3. see when track last played

ESSENTIAL: rate individual tracks!!! Cā€™mon, Roon! Appleā€™s had this for a decade!!! (OPTION: share ratings with the Roon community!)

Next: Smart playlists:
Example of a great smart playlist I used all the time with iTunes:
5* tracks (rating) in 90ā€™s Pop (genre) not played in last 8 weeks (last played) - 50%
3-4* tracks (rating) in 90ā€™s Pop (genre) not played in last 8 weeks (last played) - 35%
1-2* tracks (rating) in 90ā€™s Pop (genre) not played in last 8 weeks (last played) - 15%
A terrific way to listen to a genre of music I hadnā€™t played in a while, while bringing in tracks that werenā€™t popular for a possible ratings change

2 Likes

They are having a very hard and long time (Iā€™m being polite) to figure out a decent (Iā€™m being polite) boolean logic (or any logic for that matter) using the focusā€¦ Bookmark ā€œPlayed In The Lastā€ month and see what happens after 2 months (just an example).

Expecting smart things (or playlists) itā€™s justā€¦ (Iā€™m being polite).

Since this topic is now 5 years or so old, the only logical explanation is that roon wants all those ideas only to sell theme somewhere else (to Audirvana maybe?)ā€¦ :rofl: :innocent:

4 Likes

Sad to see Roon team is still not answering :frowning:
A large number of paying customers very much are depending on playlists, even if they get neglected for years - or even get worse like in 1.8 when album art on mobile app disappeared etc

1 Like

My major pain is the syncing, I want seamless integration. Roon is great for discovering new music, but when you want to add just a song to a provider playlist, you need to open the provider app, search it there, add it to playlist and go to Roon to sync roon library and hope the sync worked 1st time. Iā€™m sorry, this is just to cumbersome. Roon should be intelligent, it knows whether Iā€™m adding to a provider or roon playlist and they should handle it from there with all the scenario handling. If I for example want to add a local file to a provider playlist, it should lookup the file with the provider and show me an error if it cannot be found and maybe opt to add this to a roon playlist. At home I should be able to do all via Roon and not needing to open the provider app. Please fix this asap, trying to explain to people Roon is great and then explain they have to do 4-5 steps in different apps to add a song to a playlist doesnā€™t sell in 2021. Iā€™m the only Roon user at home because of this. Iā€™m sure this sounds familiar to many and it needs to be fixed or the inability to get Roon adopted by family members will kill this product in the long run.

4 Likes

2 improvements ideas:

1 - adding or deleting songs on playlists is definitely a bad experience currently because not enough obvious.
a vertical 3 dots icon could be inserted at the left of current song photo like this:

( sorry the 3 dots icon is too big, it is just to explain the idea)

clicking the 3 dots icon would give at least 2 options:

• add to playlist
  • delete from playlist
  • maybe other optionsā€¦

2 - once we have duplicated Qobuz or Tidal playlists, we should be able to hide Qobuz or Tidal playlists in roon playlists list, because it makes ugly duplicates.

OR again better ( but maybe more technically difficult) : suppress the duplication feature and make the changes ( adding or deleting a song in a playlist) in roon with direct impact in the streaming service platform (Qobuz or Tidal) .

1 Like

I think there are some good ideas from Spotify, Apple Music regarding playlist management.

1 Like

I think we should be able to share our playlists with friends, and not only the ones on roon, but also with friends that are using streaming platforms like Deezer, Qobuz, Tidal, Spotifyā€¦

this would definitely be a great functionality! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This whole thread seems to be a an idea-grave as there is no interaction or any feedback from Roon since ages.
@brian2 or @kevin should we close this one or take any other more meaningful approach if you are really interested to get the playlist topic going which has been quite abandoned over the years in favor of other areas.

5 Likes

@beka Maybe you can finally provide some feedback into this?

1 Like

How about putting the numbers of each song on the playlist? If you are creating or editing a long playlist, it really helps if the songs are numbered. It is easier to find songs and duplicates of songs that way. This USED to be the way playlists are created, but it went away during the last year.

1 Like

I would like the ability to export a playlist in the order the songs are listed. This would be for local media. It does this already, but places the output in an excel file, the playlist is not in order.

1 Like

Dear all,
I am late to this very populated subject so I apologise if my query has already been addressed.
I manage my music (in the first instance) in Appleā€™s Music app, i.e.: tags, artwork and playlists, and use Roon as the player/interface.
My issue is that while Roon recognizes my several playlists (created in Music), it does not update the content of said playlists.
Is this a Roon issue or am I doing something wrong?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Best regards and all the best for 2022.
Alexander