We want your ideas for Playlists!

Ability to export / share playlists with other Roon users, please.

3 Likes

After selecting some Tracks and pressing the + , it would help me if instead of just “Add to a playlist” there is also “Add to the last playlist edited”. When I am putting together a big playlist with selected tracks from multiple albums, it is tedious to repeatedly search for the same playlist name from a big list.
Just a suggestion.

2 Likes

Hallo Brian, hallo everybody, i am joining this interesting issue.
My idea would be to offer an easy option for displaying playlists the same way as “albums” are displayed, i.e. cover display with a certain sort order. This could be managed easily and should not be a huge programming issue, isn’t it?
So, ideally, I should be able to create a playlist from a “Focus” setting and let it be displayed exactly as the focus-setting is displayed. If possible, it would be nice, to be able to select the cover of the playlist out of one of the albums within the playlist

Regarding your “mockup of a work-in-progress playlists design”: I would not be happy with this, as I would like to see the covers of each album. I guess it depends if you want to built a special playlist with single titles (“summer party songs”) or a playlist with special albums (e.g. “all 192/24 Albums”, or “Classical piano music”). I the first case, you select each track and push it into a playlist. In the second case, you take several albums or even a “Focus” selection and make a playlist out of it.
If you succeed in doing this, ROON users will have another awesome feature which is still missing in JRIVER!! (I am a disappointed JRIver-User and very happy with ROON!!)
René

[quote=“Graeme_Allan, post:60, topic:8358”]
I’d also, when clicking on a track, be able to export the whole album it belongs to to a playlist - not just the song.
[/quote].
Graeme, in Album view, once you have selected a track, a bar is displayed “1 Selection” and a down arrow icon is ajacent. This gives the option to “Select All”. You can then add to a Playlist via the “+” button.
Jeff

1 Like

Am I the only one who misses the Spotify way of allowing users to publish a playlist? I find it a fantastic way to discover new music.
As I find playlists are Tidals weakest feature (when was the last addition of a classical playlist?) I would love Roon to allow users with Tidal subscriptions to publish and share playlists that can be copied to your library for editing and building on.

1 Like

However playlists are improved/implemented in Roon, please for the love of everything and my sanity
please please please make the ‘add to queue’ function work in the same way between adding from history, library and playlists.

I have just spent 15 minutes creating my perfect queue out of a variety of sources including playlists
low and behold, 2435 tracks with entire playlists added multiple times in amongst other tracks added singley.

I know that this is my fault in reality as it does say on the screen ‘play from track whatever’ but it’s a fundamental UX mistake to make ostensibly the same function work differently, particularly when they are going to be used at the same time and in the same context.

Please just make playlists add single tracks to queue!!

now back to the music

3 Likes

I’d like to see playlists of albums, as I pointed out here: :grinning:

2 Likes

I agree with Raymond_Klein_Robben
“Provide an option to flag ‘offline’ music on a playlist. I see no option in Roon adding music to my iPhone e.g. I need to use iTunes for that still.”
This is currently done on other s/w where it also plays from whats on Ipad/Ipone/other devices.

However dont have to add to the main Roon Database but a seperate section “From This Device - <iphone/ipad/androis>” this will play directly from these devices.

1 Like

A playlist is A MIXTAPE. Don’t overthink it and please don’t ruin it. It’s for a drive or a party or makin’ out. The more we can make 'em like this the better (except for the crappy quality):

PS: Also, pls. make it possible to search and destroy duplicate tracks in a (long) playlist
 Sonos doesn’t do this and it’s
 kind of a drag.

6 Likes

Awesome Image, I miss those days :sweat_smile:

I’d like to suggest that some attention is placed on the user experience of managing items on the playlist. Specifically, being able to add the contents of one playlist to another, especially cool would be to have a “master” playlist with different sources (local and Tidal). For instance, I might find a Tidal playlist that is a great start to a better, more personalized playlist—I’d like to be able to add the Tidal playlist to Roon and then add in my own (local) songs. I would also like to see UI features such as multiple track selection (CRTL and SHIFT-click selection). Thanks!

1 Like

Wrt playlists of albums: I’m away from my system, but can’t you do that today?
In the Album browser, select multiple albums (ctrl-click or the equivalent touch), and then you can Play all those albums. I would imagine the + button would also add them to a playlist? Granted, if you add multiple albums you probably don’t get them in the desired order

Have a look at the thread I started, it’s about the community aspect.

Imagine a friend needs some new music and you give him a bunch of CDs saying “These are the most important 70’s Rock albums, listen to them and tell me what you think”.
It’s basically that.

Would love to see lists of albums that other users come up with, or maybe even community generated mega lists where everybody can add albums.

1 Like

I think more community features in Roon all round would be great. Its actually a great community of people passionate about music/hifi, but they can only interact on the forum - opening up options for things like playlist and suggestions - follow what other people are listening to, maybe ‘friend’ people from the forums to share music suggestions etc, would be a great way to harness all this community spirit and knowledge.

Please can you post a link to it @music

2 Likes

Here it is:

The only thing missing in Roon (for me) is a good smart playlist option. For example: only play songs that have not been played before. Or only play sonds where there is 12" in the name and that have been played before. etc. You should check Itunes for it.

1 Like
  1. Show track artist in play list not album artist (I see “Various Artist” on all tracks that came from an VA album, but tracks have correct artist tags)
  2. Possibility to sort playlists by clicking on the column headers (helps to find duplicates)
  3. Duplicate detection on inserting (like in Spotify a warning should appear, if I want to add a track, that is allready in the playlist)

There is a lot more that can be done to enhance the experience with playlists, but that are the most important things for me.

1 Like

As someone who is still using iTunes for library management, or at least adding new music and tweaking file metadata, I am still centred on the iTunes playlists. Now, with iTunes import these playlists do import to Roon, static to static and smart to static from what I can tell.

The question is, and I don’t know the answer - is this bidrectional sync or one-way iTunes > Roon. If there was a way to get some kind of bidirectional sync of playlists that would be really nice, so you could add a file to a static playlist in Roon and it would appear in that playlist in iTunes.

Equally, if iTunes smart playlists were imported as a “formula” into Roon that Roon then calulated itself to determine the tracks associated with that smart playlist, that would be nice too.

Here’s an idea for playlists that just popped up in my head, that would make a lot of sense for how I use Roon:

Ability to group external playlists to Roon playlists

I don’t mean import songs from iTunes or Tidal playlists to Roon playlists, because that’s already possible. What would be very useful is the ability to add playlists from various sources together in a Roon playlist, which would continue to update when songs are added to the source playlists. They could show up as folders that could be expanded inside the Roon playlist, or as a separate section above. Or maybe even simpler, just as a folder in which you’d put your global playlists and maybe some Roon playlists and just play from the parent folder to include them all.

For example, I have a lot of old playlists in iTunes, quite a few newer ones in Spotify and some very recent ones in Tidal. It gets confusing very quickly: “where did I put the song?”

If I could group my hip-hop playlists from iTunes and Tidal to a Roon playlist that would continue to update as I add new songs in either Roon or in any of the sources, then that would be very useful.

1 Like

Maybe I’m not looking well, but I can’t Find a way to delete a single track in my playlist. It would be nice to have this ability.

Another thing is that when i take a look inside a playlist and go back I always found myself at the first page of the playlists. I would rather see the page where my last playlist was found. This is especially useful when you have a lot of playlists.

Smart lists will be great and also the ability to share playlists with others.
Last thing is the ability To play playlists offline on my iPhone, like Tidal can. I use this in my car.