We want your ideas for Playlists!

I would like a shuffle feature similar to the way JRiver playlist shuffle works. Not just shuffle the order they play in but shuffle they order the songs appear in. I have a long list of favorites I play. To keep it interesting, and not just always pick from the top, I use shuffle to re-order the list. I do this every week or two and try to pick the top 10 then randomly select songs based upon my mood.

I’m a newb to Roon so if this feature already exists, sorry: still learning. One of the first features I looked for.

Hi Dale,

If you send songs to the Queue and then toggle on shuffle in the Queue screen it will reorder the songs in the Queue.

I have an 8 day playlist that someone put up in Tidal. I tell it to play, go to the Queue and shuffle and it’s like a new playlist each time. The first song is always first, but everything else re-orders.

1 Like

Requires me to think about the queue backwards from my usual way. Instead of adding songs to the queue, I would remove the songs from the queue that I don’t want to hear that evening. I can make that work!

Does the Roon playlist automatically remove copies? My favorite playlist is big and find I add songs I really like multiple times (forgetting it’s already in the playlist).

No. You can make a playlist of the same song over and over if you want.

Not really sure what the benefit of that would be (to listen to the same song multiple times).

I like how in Spotify it notifies you when adding a new song to a Playlist if it’s a duplicate.

3 Likes

As already mentioned Album view for Playlists would be great/essential.

I find a list of songs awkward to use unless that list is small.

For example my wife wants to separate some of her own favourite albums into a separate playlist.

My wife has her own user profile setup in Roon so she can favourite the albums that she wishes and then just press the favorite button in the album browse to filter. That said we do tend to tag the albums and then use focus for finer control.

I’ve been thinking about what I’d prefer:

• To have two different categories of playlist for Tracks and Albums.
  • A “smart” feature built into the existing playlists whereby Roon allows one to add to a playlist at album level, which is then displayed in the list as an album amongst any tracks that may also be in that play list.

The former I think is an artificial construct (one might some whole albums and a bunch of individual tracks) so on balance the later would be my preference.

So then the question would once a whole album is added to a playlist, would its selection for play be limited to adding it as a whole to queue, or should there be some way to expand and then select individual tracks from it to add to the queue?

I can think of some ways to achieve the later but for me I think the former is acceptable.

I think my preference would be to keep the structure the same way it is at the moment but have the option within the playlist to toogle the view mode between Artists, Albums, Tracks etc.

If viewing by tracks is selected. The playlist works in the same way as it does at the moment, although it would be nice to have thumbnails of the album artwork.

If Album view is selected it works and is viewed in a similar way to the main album page but with the option to turn individual tracks on or off. (this is great for playlist were you want to thin down large album collections)

This way it keeps the beautiful structure and simplicity of Roon that we all love but gives us the option to customise the playlists in a variety of ways that suit.

I would like multilevel playlists for organizing my albums and tracks (along the lines provided by iTunes. Some Examples:

Hi.Res:Classical:Chamber.Music:Trios
or
Hi.Res:Rock:Grateful.Dead:Working.Man’s.Dead

No pictures, please.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think playlists should be sortable as albums and tracks are. That is to say by track name, artist, album, and date imported. As has been suggested elsewhere, I think there should be a list view option for all lists in Roon, Tracks, Albums, Artist, and Playlists and all of them should be sortable by Track, Album, Artist, and Date Imported. I think this is just basic organization. This would ease adding to playlists, looking for duplicates, and finding what you are looking for. This is not to say that I don’t also like the option for album art views for albums and artists, though I still don’t understand why, when you have album art already in Roon for at least one album by a particular artist, as shown in Album view, that same album art often, but not always, doesn’t show up for that artist in Artist view.

For what it is worth, I make playlists of albums where I like all the tracks and then play that playlist back in random order rather than sequentially which wouldn’t make much sense.

Please add my vote to what crom said. It is pretty useless as-is.

Could you add a favourite (love symbol) on the front overview page so can just click on it and go straight to all my favourites (even have a drop down menu for Tracks, Albums, etc.). At the moment have to go into the main dropdown menu and then go to Library of Tracks, Albums, etc.

Or would it be possible to have the Favourites as a Playlist (surprised that isn’t there already).

[quote=“John_Carrigan, post:135, topic:8358”]
Or would it be possible to have the Favourites as a Playlist (surprised that isn’t there already).
[/quote]Playlists are not dynamic in Roon, but you could save a bookmark (which are dynamic) to do that.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Missing Playlists

A good analogy for some great functionality that could be adopted here is to look at Lightroom from Adobe. Their “collections” allow users to create containers for user-selected photos. A collection may either be a manually dragged-and-dropped selection or a ‘Smart collection’ can be used where images are selected based upon some metadata, eg, date, camera used, keyword of the person in the photo etc.

The differentiation (or similarity even) between a bookmark and a playlist in Roon doesn’t really make sense as demonstrated in the confusion caused above. By all means allow users to bookmark pages to return to - this is really useful. However, collections of tracks to use again and again - even dynamic ones - aren’t bookmarks, they’re collections…or playlists!

3 Likes

Carl

Thanks for that, 1 click and now can go straight to my track favourites :+1:

1 Like

My request is similar to @WKW’s: album view. I’m an album listener and I like to have playlists like for example “Best Albums 2016” of “Summer”. During a listening session, I rarely use playlists, as I sometimes switch continuously. However, when we have guests, I like to have a sequence of albums instead of having to get up and choose another album each time. Think Cuban, or Ethiopian, or jazz or classical, depending on the weather, the guests and the mood.

With the current playlists, when I want to fast forward in my playlist, I have to scroll ridiculously to get to an album. For example, in my playlist “Best Albums 2016”, I have included the Rolling Stones In Mono Box. For this box only, I have to scroll through a few hundred tracks just to get to the next album in my playlist. I think it would be much easier to show the albums, with the possibility of a drop-down menu or something similar for the album tracks.

2 Likes

I find Tidal do this very well. Playlists for all occasions.

Hi Chris, I don’t have a Tidal subscription, but do you mean the Tidal app, or (also) Tidal integrated in Roon?

The Tidal App integrated into Roon is the only way I use Tidal really.
The themed playlists seem to go on forever. (Dinner Parties, Parties, BBQ’s Etc etc) just to many to begin to list. ( Party, Relax, Workout, Love, Focus, Seasonal each with many subsections. In Relax you get ‘Chillot Delux’ or Jazz And Coffee. or Scandanavian Noir to Neo Soul Folktronica. Not forgetting Sleeping on a Bus. It’s endless
You really need to get a free trial to try it out and see for yourself.

1 Like