Weird Behavior after changes

I used to have my music and Roon Core on an internal SSD on a SonicTransporter i9. I moved the music onto my Synology NAS and all went well. Then I moved the core onto my M1 Mac Studio. Again all seemed to go well. All the storage paths were correct and the number of files in each looked correct and it said actively watching. But now when I add a new CD or download it doesn’t show up on the recently added screen. I wait quite a while and then go in and force a scan of the relevent storage path and it will show up. Also if I move a directory the move isn’t reflected right away. These sorts of things used to be reflected fairly quickly but not any more. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks!

Hi @John_Swanson_Swanson,

This is because file system changes are not being reported to Roon by the Synology NAS.

It’s down to the SMB implementation on the NAS.

Other than setting up a periodic force rescan on Roon there’s little that can be mitigate it whilst still using the Synology.

PS I use Windows 11 and a QNAP NAS and that combination works, so it is solvable but it’s outside of Roon’s scope.

PPS An option for you could be to attach a local drive to the Mac watched by Roon and then sync those files to the NAS as an independent backup.

The NAS force rescan thing is the only world I know, and it’s fast and never bothered me. Unless you are adding music 24/7 it’s really not that much of a hassle.

Yeah, not the end of the world. I can live with it. I sent a support ticket to Synology to see what they say. I wish I knew that my Synology NAS was crippled. I would have purchased a different brand. Oh well.

In the past I came across the following post in which it was suggested that a script on the Synology might help address the issue. Never tried it myself though.

Let’s see if i understand your current setup here:
Your Core is on a computer on your network, and in your Roon-Settings-Storage you have added one or more network paths to the Synology NAS shares?

You did notice that there is (by default) a 4h rescan interval in each Storage setting for network paths?

It is nice, if Roon automatically detects new music.

This detection is based on the modification of inodes in a filesystem. This does only works with local filesystems. If you use a network file share, depending on the protocol, you do not get these modifications flagged on the remote device. With SMB it can work, but most of the time it does not.

As @Mikael_Ollars said, have a timed rescan every 4 hours, or initiate a “forced rescan” on your storage after you added new music.

Since I’m doing some dirty tricks with my remote storage, I do use the manual rescan option. That works perfectly.

QNAP does the same thing as I understand it.

On Synology, you can change it if you wish. Instructions are linked from the opening post on A Roon on (Synology) NAS Primer.