Weird discrepancies between iPhone and mac app (album count, album filter behavior)

Roon Core Machine

core on Late 2012 Mac Mini

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

60,000 tracks according to mac, not sure according to phone
4648 Albums according to mac app
4398 Albums according to iPhone app

Description of Issue

Number of albums differs when looking at mac vs phone. Using focus, I tried to see if it was specifically Tidal, Roon or local files that were different, but they ALL differ. I’ll try to get granular to see if there are albums that appear on mac app that don’t appear on phone…

And album filter… if I filter albums for the word “can’t” on my mac, I get seven results. On the phone, I get ZERO results. I’m guessing this is some kind of oddity with the apostrophe character on the iphone?

Oddly enough, if I search for “don’t” I get 15 results on the mac, and ONE on the phone. The album it finds is a local album, but a DOWNLOADED album, not a rip.

I’m uncertain why you’re seeing different album counts, but I do get a similar result using “can’t” as the filter. However, eliminating the apostrophe gives identical results.

yeah, that’s why i’m wondering if there’s something weird with the apostrophe character that differs between the two platforms

good to know omitting the apostrophe in the search still finds words like “can’t” and “won’t” etc…

Wish i could explain the discrepancies in the album count tho

Hey @terzinator,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

I wanted to follow up on this thread to see if you’re still running into this discrepancy on the latest arc update?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

hey thanks. It’s not anything critical, and certainly not something that prevents me from enjoying roon! Just an oddity.

Yeah, still a different album count on phone vs mac app, and I am running 1133 on all platforms.

mac shows 4662 albums
phone shoes 4413 albums

Testing with some focus filters…

Smallest subset is Tidal Library. 514 on computer, 474 on phone. So I thought I’d try to find one on the computer that wasn’t on the phone, which I did. I looked at the album, which I happen to have in both my Qobuz and Tidal libraries.

So, on the computer, I removed the album from my Tidal favorites, and the number changed on the computer, but the number on the phone stayed the same. So, somehow there are albums seen from the computer iteration of roon, but are simply not in my library when viewed on the phone.

Stumped.

and maybe this isn’t what you mean, but it’s not ARC i’m even looking at. Just plain old roon from inside my network. From what I can tell, ARC doesn’t show album counts, right?

Hey @terzinator,

Thanks for the info!

Do you have Show Hidden Tracks And Albums enabled in Settings > General? Is there any change if you enable this?

One other thing to note is that when an album is no longer available to stream in TIDAL or Qobuz, this album will not appear in Roon at all. Sometimes the album will still appear in your collection (but you’ll be unable to play it). This can account for a difference in numbers in many cases.

Additionally, Roon > TIDAL/Qobuz > Favorite Albums is a list directly from TIDAL/Qobuz of the albums you’ve explicitly marked as a favorite. In your Roon library, this can vary.

You might have edited an album, for example, and split up the tracks into multiple albums since that is something you can do in Roon. Also, when you favorite a track in TIDAL/Qobuz it does not show up under “Favorite Albums”. In Roon, we create an album for that track. Even if it’s just a single track from an album, you’ll be able to navigate to that album the track is a part of in your Roon library.

I hope this helps to clarify things!

YES. That was it. THANK YOU!

It was enabled on the instance of roon on my laptop, but not enabled on my phone. Now they match. I will check other devices to see what’s what.

Interesting, I would have assumed these settings are global, and not linked to a specific roon instance/remote, etc… (Like if you set it, it affects the account, not just the device. But I suppose, one user in the household might prefer a particular setting that you don’t, so the device controls it.)

Are all settings/preferences this way? Device vs account-based? Or just some? Is there a list of which behave which way?

2 Likes

Hey @terzinator,

That is excellent news! Glad to hear that was the missing piece.

In regards to your follow-up question, there are a few settings that apply to the account as a whole. Those include services, setup, backups.

On the other end, you can customize the majority of roon settings to the specific device you are running roon on! :+1:

Happy listening :notes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.