What about the ladies? šŸ‘ø

2 Likes

Great recommendation. Do you prefer the MQA to the ā€˜Intentional Online Exclusiveā€™ version? Just curious.

Iā€™ve only got the CD and MQA Versions. Itā€™s just so beautiful a recording.

2 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

C0B059F3-52E0-4B3E-B583-A2516BAE6AD3

1 Like

Two of my favourite Billie Holiday albumsā€¦

Some may say Billie had already passed her zenith in the mid 1950s, but IMO these albums sound incredibly fresh and ā€œtimelessā€ā€¦

Billieā€™s voice sounds amazing on both albums ā€” like sheā€™s right there in front of youā€¦ WOW!

24bit/192kHz

5 Likes

Donā€™t believe those idiotsšŸ˜‰ Do you know these two albums? Look at the ridiculous rating and review of the last one. I own pretty much each note she recorded and itā€™s one of my favorite albums! As you say, fresh, timeless, and lively (like sheā€™s in front of you).

E78610F3-467E-4C8A-A349-3ECBABDF1E1C
24bit/176.4kHz

RoonShareImage-636461735386734680
24bit/192kHz

3 Likes

Spot on! 1.5 stars? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

She has incredible stage fright, which you can see in how she doesnā€™t really move about the stage. But the instrument is amazing. Someone commented about the recordings lacking nuance. Check out Wicked Game.

1 Like

I just listened to Salvant based on someoneā€™s recommendation and I just do not understand how she could get so many glowing reviews. I had a hard time listening to her songs until the end. How could she be compared to Sarah Vaughan, for example, is just mind boggling.

Hi @anon49565150,

sheā€™s undoubtedly VERY different from Sarah Vaughan. Such comparisons are always misleading and hardly ever make sense IMO. Itā€™s okay if you donā€™t like McLorin Salvant. Lots of people do. Iā€™m one of them. De gustibusā€¦

(From the jazz piano thread I know that in other cases our musical tastes can be quite similarā€¦ :grinning:)

Its ok if you like her too, but it makes me question my tastes as all reviews are so enthusiastic !

Never mind the reviews. Trust YOUR taste. Thatā€™s always the best thing to do. Donā€™t let the critics/reviewers tell you what to think, let alone FEEL.

6 Likes

Wise words indeedā€¦

1 Like

I think McLorin Salvantā€™s interpretation of the song ā€œNododyā€ in the YouTube clip you posted is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. A fantastic artist. But as you said: De gustibus non est disputandum.

3 Likes

6 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/MU0BanX.png

You have gotta love these two, saw them live last night and they have got something special. Harmonies to die for and a really ballsy attitude.

5 Likes