What am I missing here

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 laptop - fully spec’d i7 core with 32GB RAM - dedicated only for Roon

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Hard wired ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB to Intona USB isolator to Metrum Adagio DAC for 2 channel listening

Description Of Issue

I am really trying hard to like Roon, but what am I missing here…
Have decent collection of 1300 Albums in my library along with TIDAL subscription. Every time I play music through Discover or Featured Artists or heck even Roon radio, I see that the playback songs are always repeating for the same artists. Songs maybe different from Albums but it’s more or less the same handful of 8-10 artists. I need more variety than that and should TIDAL not help with opening up the sea of opportunities here. Get the feeling Roon mostly looks at local library and does not dig deep inside TIDAL.

On the other hand - when I use standalone TIDAL web player and I have the ‘Auto Play’ turned on - it will play super relevant songs from various different artists yet keeping the genre intact even after the album or playlist finish playing. The music experience is far diverse and satisfying. Far better job than Roon.

What am I missing here folks - please provide some tips where I can make Roon better. I just don’t want to see the same metadata of artists on my screen - get’s tiring :slight_smile:

Thanks,

I am not sure this is a support post.

But, it might help if you give an example of the song that you use to start Roon Radio and a specific listing of the songs returned.

Oh I am sorry if this is not a support related inquiry. Example would be if I click on pop genre - it will play George Michael and a few other artists like Tears for Fear, Elton John and a couple more - but will keep repeating different songs from the same artists. Why would it not play more artist variety? Is that something I can ‘train’ Roon to do?

Hi @Ghulam_Rahmatullah,

Can you share some specific examples here so we can take a look? I’m hoping you can include the following for each example:

• A screenshot of the content you’re starting Roon Radio from
  • Screenshots of the Queue showing some of the repeated artist picks

Thanks!

Hi Dylan -
Thank you for offering to help me. One example is; I started by going to ‘Discover’ tab on the software and clicked on ‘Epic’ label genre. Clicked on Shuffle and it started by playing song by Bad English and then repeated 3 songs by Gloria Estefan. When I click on Queue it only shows the next song in the queue only. After playing a song by Cheap Trick it played 3 back to back songs by George Michael. Does Roon mostly pick/prefer albums that are in my library? I have noticed the same behaviors when I pick Genre option from the software menu.

Add images

Hi Dylan - to help your research I have a lot of songs and playlists from Pakistani singers on my Tidal playlist, but only one in Roon library (on purpose). When I go to Genre in Roon and click on International - it loops that one song in my library and plays it back to back non-stop. I was hoping that it would recognize the genre and pick similar songs from Tidal vast library and keep me entertained. Tidal native app does that flawlessly.
Thank you again for your help. I just want to be able to use Roon player more effectively.

I think that some confusion is that Roon Radio and Shuffle are not the same thing. Roon Radio will take the last song played and then use Roon’s Valence AI to find like songs and play them from your library AND the vast library of Tidal or Qobuz if you subscribe to them.

However, Shuffle is limited to your library. The tracks are chosen randomly withing the whole of selected focus being shuffled. Example, if you have 4 albums on the Epic label in your library, and you choose to shuffle by the Epic label, then it will randomly select songs only from those 4 albums.

Discover is specifically for discovering thing in your library.

Okay thanks - then it confirms my theory that Roon Shuffle and Discover genre only plays using what’s in your library. Roon Radio pulls from your library and TIDAL. This makes me conclude that Roon software end value is no more than a clean GUI and to play/sort songs in your personal library. TIDAL - when using the web player does a better job (in my opinion) playing Radio (if you have autoplay turned on) using better AI software as it gives you more variety and artist spread. I don’t care much about what’s in my library as one tends to get tired of listening to the same songs. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you much for the help.

Use Roon Radio. That is what is comparable to Tidal’s offering. And, I think, does a much better job than Tidal for me.

Try this, play just the Gloria Estefan song and have Roon Radio enabled. It should start picking music outside of your library from Tidal.

Hi Daniel,
this now makes sense and yes Roon Radio does a better job in presenting a variety of artists and songs from TIDAL. I only wished the Genre in Roon would be more vast in it’s options and dig in TIDAL or Qobuz library rather than limiting to personal library. Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.