What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Meridian Explorer 2 runs off the USB on my QNAP TVS 471. That’s a cheap ish zone.

I wouldn’t call that QNAP cheap exactly… :wink:

2 Likes

Ahhh yes, but this is an add on bonus now I have it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

How do you find the Denon ? And what speaker do you use with them ?

The Denon is a very good integrated amp, the best I ever had.
I use it with a pair of KEF R900.

You can try Phison Audio PD2 DAC + PREAMP , not cheap at 6000 but very worthwhile , also Rockna Wavedream R2R DAC a bit more costly but for Audiophile demanding usage it’s worth.
PD2 soon is 512 ready and I2s as well.

Bryston BDA-3

RAKK DAC mkIV

I just picked up a Meridian Explorer 2 as the winter offer from Meridian was so tempting. (£129.00) Five year warranty if you register and a three month Tidal Trial. (Which I can’t use as I already have Tidal) (Nope, I’m not a dealer. That’s just a heads up)
With my QNAP USB it’s plug and play and on Windows 10 when I finally got the latest drivers installed after uninstalling the older ones it sounds bloody Marvelous.
The few MQA tracks I have are a revelation even through these modest Denon Headphones.
(Not the greatest computer expert on the forum lol)
Chris

@rbm Rene, you’ve been around here for a while, do you perhaps know if there are any plans to have the Chord Mojo “Roon Tested”?

Are there additional advantages to a “Roon Tested” DAC, other than having it visually show up in the right bottom of your screen? I searched the forum, but all I could find was this:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-tested-audio-hardware-formerly-roon-certified/1742

@danny says on June 15: “One big bonus feature for certification, is that in the future, we’ll have some bonus features, like MQA hi-res playback, for certified devices.” Guessing from the replies, this is still in the works.

Apogee Groove -> Audeze LCD-XC

Just purchased a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100 with £50 price reduction. I needed some extra connections and was finding the Dragonfly a little too warm sounding. What a remarkable little device this is. Currently playing some lively Ravel with Quartetto Italiano and it sounds neutral, detailed and less veiled. Very pleased I made the plunge. Have a good Christmas everyone and crossing fingers the 1.3 is a great Christmas present.Hint hint Santa!

No advantages, other than it’s guaranteed to work and the mixed blessing of a custom icon… :wink:

The viability of MQA software decoding is still shrouded in in the same mysteries as at the beginning of the year. If it will ever be allowed, Roon is geared up to deliver.

For the Mojo, I can’t think of any special needs: all functionality is available in Roon and works flawlessly.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, Rene. I thought so, but wasn’t sure and was just curious. I think I can live without the custom icon :wink:

I guess technically my Meridian DSP speakers are the DACs. And I’ve got a couple of IQAudio DigiAmps too.

2 Likes

Devialet D1000 PRO in the UK and Devialet D120 in Spain

Gryphon Kalliope. Connected via USB to dedicated audio PC Win 8.1 64bit with ROON core and JPLAY ASIO in Kernel Streaming mode. Controled via iOS. Works great!

Brand new (literally arrived today) Wyred4Sound DAC2v2 (with the new ESS chipset) connected to a Raspberry Pi 3.

After only 2 hours playing with it… this is a beast :smiley:

1 Like
  1. Another vote for the Exasound e22 DAC
  2. Also tried using my Devialet 220 Expert pro (as DAC as well as pre/amp)
  3. Meridian explorer 2

I have a Primare DAC 30.

1 Like