What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Would love to know how you like this in your main system.

Mytek Brooklyn Dac+ in the living room and Wyred4Sound 2v2 dac in the office.

Sorry, Rene, I’ve been having trouble keeping up with Roon forum activity lately and managed to miss this until just now.

I ended up using the Cubox-sanctioned version of Debian and installed the current version of Roon Bridge on top of that. The Cubox is connected to a DragonFly Red with up-to-date firmware. I’m pleased (and amazed) that I was able to do this successfully, but I find I’m having the same problem with Debian/Roon Bridge as I was when I was using Sonore’s Sonicorbiter software, so now I’m thinking it’s some kind of hardware issue.

At irregular intervals, I get very noticeable, seconds-long bursts of of distortion — The best way I can describe how it sounds is that it makes a piano sound like a harpsichord with a fuzz pedal attached. I’m not 100% certain how to diagnose the cause, but it could be something internal to the Cubox, or it could be that the Cubox is really sensitive to my Eero Pro routers.

I don’t have this kind of problem with my DigiOne Player, which is also in fairly close proximity to an Eero Pro, so right now, I’m thinking I may address this by getting an Allo USBridge setup and giving up on the Cubox.

As always, I’m open to alternative solutions.

1 Like

Mac Mini HDMI to Classe SSP-800. Smooth.

2 Likes

+1. I ordered one and it arrives Wednesday :wink:

Now three days since replacing Nuprime IDA-16 with Yggdrasil, Freya and Vidar combo. Have ordered AES cables to connect Yggi to Aries and Freya. Really delighted so far as noticeably better each day. Looking forward to the next month or two.

Was that you that ordered the last one on Amazon? :exploding_head:

MD

Yes it was. Lol I was going to order from Music Direct but Amazon is just so easy

1 Like

Metrum Acoustics Adagio DAC and preamplifier.
Cranesong HEDD 192
RME ADI-2 PRO

SOTM sms-200, OPPO UDP-203 as Roon endpoint. Also Cubox-i NAA with HQPlayer.

So far 90% of my Roon listening is to my Chord Mojo attached to either my laptop or my iPad. Works really well, especially with my new LCD-X cans.

1 Like

All you out there who use a Schiit Audio Yggy, should know that there is now an update that adds a new Analog 2 board. The upgrade is $550…which you could have had early this AM for no price increase to the standard Yggy. But now it’s $100 more for people who order a new Yggy…

Here’s another one! :smile:

Hmmm… Sounds more like a (weird) USB/kernel related incompatibility than a network issue to me. I’ve had a few DACs attached to a Cubox (iFi nano & micro, Chord Mojo, Explorer 2 and now the S2 – no problems with either of them though.

What version Cubox is the SOSE? (It’s usually printed at the bottom, but not sure if that’s also true for Sonore’s version).

You ought to be proud! :smiley:

Hi Rene,

What are the problems with the 4 kernel? As the Cubox is supported by ArchLinux it’s something that me be doable with RoPieee…

Thanks,

1 Like

In the Armbian distribution SPDIF is missing the 88.2 and 176.4 rates (was also a known problem in the legacy 3.14 kernel for a while) and USB is not 100% stable (hot plugging is flaky, Explorer 2 was not always seen at cold boot). The latest and greatest Armbian (4.14.6) is not booting on the i1/i2 Cuboxes either – it is running great on a 4Pro with the S2 though – could be device/driver-specific rather than kernel?

I’ve been planning to try ArchLinuxArm, but have not yet come around to try it (I tend to use Debian for everything ;-)). Ropieee on the Cubox has a nice ring to it though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only thing it says on the bottom is “D063B400BC80” and “5V, 2A”. Don’t know if this aids in identification. AFAIK, Sonore hasn’t ever revealed the specific model Cubox.

What does

cat /proc/cpuinfo

say?

processor	    : 0
model name    	: ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	    : 3.00
Features	    : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpd32 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	    : 0x2
CPU part    	: 0xc09
CPU revision	: 10

processor    	: 1
model name  	: ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	    : 3.00
Features	    : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpd32 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	    : 0x2
CPU part   	    : 0xc09
CPU revision	: 10

Hardware	    : Freescale i.MX6 Quad/DualLite (Device Tree)
Revision	    : 0000
Serial		    : 0000000000000000

Looks like an i2 to me.

Thanks for that. I’m all for RopPieee if @spockfish is up for it. Happy to help test it, since at this point, mostly what the CuBox with the DragonFly Red does is annoy me.