What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

PS Audio Directstream
LH Labs Vi DAC Tube Signature
Cyrus Lyric 09
Audioquest Dragonfly Black
Encore mDSD
Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center
DIY twistedpear Buffalo 3SE

Mytek Brooklyn + for main listening ( amazing dac!), audiolab m-dac at the puter and a chord mojo with XPD-100. The Mytek is transformative, unbelievably musical.

Rene, are you comparing this with the Meridian Explorer2 that I have seen in your previous photos? If so, as the optician says, “better or worse?”

Terry

Better.

But: I’ve used it exclusively with a good linear PSU, while the Explorer obviously draws power from the USB port. I also only use headphones with the S2. In comparison it’s very clean.

That apart, I would rate MQA about the same. PCM up tp 192 is a bit bit more detailed/lively, upsampling to high rates (PCM768/DSD512) and playing around with filters is fun with this little box.

My main system is all digital (Meridian DSP speakers) – not much use for another DAC there. I use the S2 only for toying around with my headphones a bit.

Roon ROCK on NUC7i5 feeding RAAT through a Netgear GS108 to a SOtM sMS-200 Ultra that is connected via USB to my TAD D1000mkII CD/SACD/DAC player. Working really well no problem what so ever.

Thanks Rene.

Dragonfly Red.

1 Like

Roon installed on a custom AMD Ryzen 7 PC - > RoPieee R PI Roon Bridge - > many DACs… MHDT Lab Atlantis, Oppo Sonica, iFi Micro iDSD BL, iFi Nano iDSD BL, and Allo Boss DAC Hat - > Schiit Freya - > First Watt J2 - > Many transducers.

Roon Core on NUCi7 serves five systems, all with different DACs:
Allo DigiOne > Meridian C61R and 5200SE
another DigiOne > Meridian 568mm and 5000.2
Allo USBridge > iFi nano iDSD BL > Audeze LCD-X
RPi MamboBerry > Russound whole house > Boston Acoustics
Apple MBP > REGEN > Meridian Explorer2 > Audioengine (+ sub)

1. Auralic Vega (first generation <-> will audition a G2 next week…)
  2. Chord Hugo TT

Geek Pulse X fi with Geek LPS over USB. Music is stored on a QNAP NAS.

Edit: Now a nice pair of Backes & Müller BM6 are eagerly working with the audio impulses.

ROCK running on 2013 Dell mini PC > Ethernet > Oppo UDP-205 balanced > PS Audio Stellar preamp balanced > PS Audio S300 amp > Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 in mildly treated listening space.

Using Roon upsampling to PCM192, along with convolution filters. Acoustic treatments and convolution make significants improvements vs. upsampling and other tweaks like cables, etc.

I tried USB direct from ROCK to Oppo - no difference that I can hear in Senn HD-580 headphones worth noting vs. Ethernet. Upsampling to DSD512 is perhaps slightly smoother in the highs but not so much that I’m willing to give up the Roon Ready convenience of Ethernet.

Sounds great to me!

iCore7, Windows 10, 3TB RAID1 NAS, Fritzbox7490

1. Gustard XMOS USB to AES interface connected to Apogee Bigben and a Rosetta 200
  2. IQAudio Digi+ Connected to a Fritz Repeater 1750E (connected to home WLAN) via LAN and to a Behringer SRC2496

ROCK NUC6i3SYH > USB > Audiophilleo > SPDIF > Border Patrol SE DAC > Modwright LS 36.5 > Pass Labs Aleph 2 amps > Shahinian Obelisk Mk2 speakers

1 Like

Interesting speakers…

Dude, err The Dude,

“Let’s remember that any sound in the universe has a polyradial trajectory away from its point of source; not direct, axial”

Is there a sweet-spot with the Shaninian speakers or is the sound the same throughout the room?

Hugo 2, Fostex HP-A8, Sony TA-ZH1ES, and Grace Design M903

Roon Core running on QNAP, Windows 10 PC optical out to Emotiva DC-1 feeding Emotiva Airmotiv 6s’s and various headphones.

A Project Pre Box S2 Digital, USB connected to a Auralic Aries Mini in Roonready mode.

1 Like

How do you get around Roon Ready, I have CXN running on Airplay

Mike