What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Main: Auralic Vega
Office: Marantz HD-DAC1
Garage: Apple Airport,
Family Room: Apple TV
Roon server is a Mac Mini
Not using HQ Player

PCM:
QNAP NAS over 1Gbps Ethernet->MacMini/Roon Server>-USB/Gustard U10>-AES-EBU/Bladelius Embla Classic->XLR/Karan KA S270->Yamaha NS-1000M
DSD:
QNAP NAS over 1Gbps Ethernet->MacMini/Roon Server>-USB/S.M.S.L M8->RCA/Bladelius Embla Classic->XLR/Karan KA S270->Yamaha NS-1000M

So the DACs used are these:
PCM through Emblas DACs: Burr Brown PCM1792 or a Wolfson of some kind. Selectable in software like upsampling selections.
DSD through the SMSL M8: ESS Sabre 9018K2M

Meridian 861v4 with ID40

Hegel HD30

1 Like

Desktop - iFi iDSD Micro

TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC

Bargain tactic, well made, sounds ace

Hegel H160 integrated

1 Like

Roon->HQPlayer->Sonicorbiter SE naa->Chord 2cute

1 Like

Roon (Macbook Pro)->PiCorePlayer (Squeezelite)->Audioengine D1->Denon AVR-1912 (Pure Direct)

I use a Squeezebox Touch as an endpoint with EDO attached to an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 Dac. Sounds terrific.

Mac mini OSX -> Roon Server -> HQPlayer -> DSD128 -> Teac UD-501.

I use a PS Audio Sprout integrated system. Sounds great.

1 Like

Mac Mini, via USB to AMR CD-777

PS Audio Sprout via USB from Mac Mini running Roon Server.

1 Like

Mac Mini Roon Core to an LH Labs Geek Out 1000 (Main HIFI. Yeah, I know.)

iMac Remote to an Oppo HA-2 (Headphones)

2 Apple TVs and Airport Express scattered through the house.

This thread is very helpful. Good to know what others are using.

I’m not certain which direction to go regarding a DAC driving my HIFI. Waiting to hear the MQA results and may decide on a Brooklyn DAC/ Definitely has to have DSD capability because I think the HQP up-sampling may help improve the sound of the 80’s CDs in my library.

I’m in a similar position and also taking a hard look at the Brooklyn. The T+A DAC 8 DSD also looks promising, if on the pricey side. I just heard today that Resonessence is supposed to be introducing a new DAC (the Veritas) at AXPONA, so maybe that’ll be worth a look. Ideally, I’d like something that can do at least DSD256 and play nicely with HQPlayer and, I think, a Sonore microRendu. Not in a particular rush, since I’m pretty happy with what I’m getting from Roon, HQP and my current DAC.

1 Like

My setup:

Shared Network Drive > Macbook Pro Running Roon > WIFI > Pi2 HifiBerry+ running squeezlite > coax > NAD D3020 > Triangle Esprit Titus EZ

in short, a NAD D3020

1 Like

Mac Mini (Late 2014) OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
SMSL M8 DAC (Sabre 9018) xCore Audio USB 2.0
Roon Version 1.1 (build 102) stable (64bit)
:grin:

Roon UI (iPad Air 2 and MacBook Pro) -> Roon Server (Mac Mini) -> Meridian MS200 -> Meridian DSP5200SE

M2Tech Young DSD with Van Der Graaf power supply.