What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Wyred4Sound MS Music Server/Ripper/Streamer > COS Engineering D2V

Just bought the new AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, paid €299,-.
Test setup : core i5 Rock,Schiit Wyrd,DragonFly Cobalt,Gato DIA400S,KEF R900.

1 Like

Nice toy. :sunglasses:
I’m currently using a Meridian Explorer² when I’m on the move.
Would be nice to be able to compare it to the Dragonfly Cobalt.

I also have an explorer2, but the dragonfly is the better sounding dac.

1 Like

Just got Dragonfly Cobalt oh my this is an amazing dac for its size and cost and sounds to me better than the Mojo I just tried out. I don’t know how they do it in such a small container, it’s smaller then the black and red and they are not exactly huge.

2 Likes

Two systems-
1- Roon/MacBook Pro (SSD)> Chord MScaler> Chord DAVE> Audeze LCD4/ LCDX
2- Roon/MacBook Pro> Sonoma M1
System 1 has Moon Audio Black Dragon USB/BNC cables. Both systems incorporate VoVox power cables and an Equi=Tech 1.5 RQ for power stabilization, conditioning and balancing. Both systems have definitely taken my listening experience to a whole new level.

I’ve had a Grandinote Volta for about a year. Recently I’ve had its software updated with Roon bridge. Very happy with it’s speed, tonality and blackness. I’ve mated it up with a Grandinote Shinai integrated amplifier. After throwing money at hifi for 30 years I’ve finally reached endgame for me.

1 Like

Main system: Bryston BDA-3 DAC direct from Roon Nucleus using a 1 meter Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable.

Secondary system: Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital using a 1.5 meter Shunyata Venom USB cable to my desktop PC (connected via network to the Nucleus).

No HqPlayer on either system.

‘Bit the bullet’ and changed my Chord Hugo TT, for a TT2.
Nucleus => USB => TT2

3 Likes

:+1: Nice!

1 Like

And? :slight_smile: holding breath, waiting for feedback

Well, on limited listening, it seems to improve on TT1.
The resolving power of this thing is amazing! It’s clearer and there’s a greater ‘insight’ into the music.
On first listening/first impressions it sounds a little ‘brighter’ than TT1, but on further listening I don’t think it is? But the TT1 definitely produces a ‘darker’, softer sound. I think it’s to do with the TT2 being more ‘etched’, compared to the more rounded sound of TT1.
It has taken some getting used to. My system is very analytical, and the TT1’s softer (some would say less precise) sound complimented it very well, to produce a laid-back relaxing sound. The TT2 is more ‘in your face’. Thrilling? Absolutely. But also more unforgiving is some respects.
It hasn’t been the simple ‘change-out’ improvement I was expecting TBH. Yes, TT2 is better, but also comes with caveats. I would advise listening in your own system before changing.

4 Likes

An honest answer. That is why I keep going back to my TT from my Hugo 2 for any extended listening. What a great hobby!

1 Like

It is. Apart for the health of your wallet! :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Appreciate your words Martin! I do like most of Chords creations but i took my TT to a friend a few days ago. We listened for a couple of hours to his Cutest and then switched to my TT. While the Qutest is highly resolving and very nimble, i really liked the muscular dynamics and blackness of the TT. Seems similar to your experience with the TTs!

3 Likes

New toy arrived today!
Topping NX4 DSD

I am seriously impressed by it’s capabilities and sound. This will make a perfect companion to the lappy and phone, while travelling.
Miniscule, powerful and versatile!

Have already tried DSD512 upsampling when using it as an USB DAC! And DSD256/PCM768 when used as a Roon endpoint along with my iPad 2018. Sounds great, very stable and no fussing!
All for the price of a dinner out for one person in Sweden, amazing!

7 Likes

Hi Mikael,

this toy looks verry nice. I think, I’ll gett also one :grinning:
What I don’t know is, how to connect this littel DAC to my iPad (iPad Air). Do I need special cabels to run it?

Hi @StereJo, you need the Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter, other than that all that you need is included in the box.

I actually had the chance to compare the NX4 to the Audioquest Cobalt yesterday. When the source was my MacBook Pro 2017 there was hardly any discernible difference between them, other than the NX4’s redundant power resources. When i used my iPad/iPhone as source the NX4 trounced the Cobalt, there was no competition at all…
The Cobalt was returned today… :wink:

1 Like

Many Thanks :sunglasses:

Audio GD 1032 is the DAC I use and very good it is :slight_smile: