What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

MSB Analogue DAc

1 Like

So I take it that you were streaming long before Roon was even a thing. I made the switch to Roon from LMS in December 2018 after using LMS for over 11 years. Can’t say I’ve missed LMS one tiny bit.

1 Like

I switched over from LMS to Roon about 6 months ago. Never looked back.

Yes, i was an early adopter of computer audio, playing aiff files from iTunes via a usb-spdf converter into a MusicalFidelity CDPre 24.

My first squeezbox was just a Boom for the kitchen. Added a duet into the CDPre, then eventually moved to the transporter. Kids got a Radio. At one point i had two transporters, two Touches, two Radios, and two Booms in various parts of the house.

I love roon too, but it’s much more resource intensive than LMS, and i find roon playlists/radio…suboptimal.

At the time I switched over to Roon I had seven Squeezebox devices located throughout my house. I’ve replaced three of them with Roon Ready devices plus I now have the ability to use my Google Chromecasts as Roon endpoints and displays.

I agree that Roon is more resource intensive than LMS but if one has the right hardware, aka over speced and over built, then Roon works better than LMS and provides a much richer user experience. And yes, Roon Radio needs work, especially if one is not listening to popular music, since Roon Radio seems to know as much about jazz as the average music listener (hint: absolutely nada).

1 Like

Roon Rock wireless to Auralic Aries Mini with Teddy Pardo PSU and a Naim DC1 coax cable to a Naim Supernait (with internal DAC). Sounds super but the same albums played on my Naim CD5 CD player are noticeable better. I will be looking to move to an external DAC for the Supernait at some point. Thx for all the replies people have posted it is useful to see what people have.

1 Like

Auralic Vega G2 streamer/DAC

I replaced my PS Audio DirectStream DAC a couple of months ago by an Auralic Vega G2. Mainly because of Bridge II: a lot of pops and clicks during PCM/DSD transitions and during DSD playback. For some months, after an “upgrade”, I also “enjoyed” a very annoying fade-in feature.

Audio chain: Streacom FC5 silent server > Auralic Vega G2 > Krell S-550i > Magnepan 3.7i

New to Roon and for now just using Roon Core for W10 --> Naim ND5 XS2 with a mix of locally stored CD rips, Qobuz and Tidal for the majority of my listening. No DSP’s and I think I only have one or two DSD albums. Absolutely adore the ND5 XS2 - simply brilliant and the best bit of hifi I have ever bought.

A bit of listening via wireless buds / iPhone combo as well and Apple TV when working out in the garage.

Have ordered a Mini PC to act as a Core server though as it will take tiny sips of power compared to my workstation so I won’t feel so guilty leaving it on all the time :slight_smile:

You nailed it. Very funny indeed. :grinning:

2 Likes

Intel NUC/ROCK -> DCs Network Bridge -> DAD AX24.

1 Like

Zen Mk3 feeding Devialet 250 Pro and Bluesound Powernode 21, both by wired ethernet. Moved on from multiple components a long time ago.

2 Likes

Same here, big fan of Devialet!

2 Likes

Swapped out my DACs: Now in the lineup:

Wyred4Sound DAC-2v2se 10th anniversary (Main)
Benchmark Media DAC-3 HGC (Main)
PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC preamp (Office)
Schiit Bifrost 1 4399 (Office)
Arcam Sonlink (Bedroom/Sonos)

Processor: Anthem MRX720 (Main)

The new Topping E30. Measurements here.

I’ve just been eyeing that up for my office - looks really good. How are you finding it? Have you tried it with an RPi/RoPieee ?

In the main listening room: Mytek Brooklyn+ with Sonore ultraRendu
Thorough the rest of the house: multiple Sonos, One’s, Five’s and Amp’s

1 Like

It’s plugged into an RPi, via USB (and replaces a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro which I expect I will repurpose).

Sounds great.

But, to be honest, there was nothing wrong with the sound of the DAC+ Pro.

The only annoyance is that, since the RPi stays on 24/7, the E30 never goes into Standby mode.

It’s possible, at the commandline, to cut power to the USB port that the DAC is plugged into. That causes the E30 to do what you’d expect: go into Standby after a minute. But RoonBridge doesn’t seem to like that. I haven’t really explored the issue much further. So, for now, the E30 is also on 24/7.

Next task is to decide whether I prefer the AK4493’s reconstruction filters or Roon’s upsampling filters.

1 Like

Thanks @Jacques_Distler - the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro was actually where I started in my thoughts and then wondered about dipping my toes in the Topping line after all their excellent measured results. Tbh though, for the intended application (Ruark MR1 Mk2 speakers) I doubt I’d hear the difference.

Helpful to hear your comments re. standby mode - have fun trying out the filters :smiley:

Currently using a Oppo 105. Thinking of upgrading to a Chord Qutest or maybe a Schitt Bitfrost. Wondering if it’s enough of a “upgrade “.?

Just upgraded from Bifrost v1 with multibit to Bifrost 2. $699.99

3 Likes