What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Sorry. Colour me confused. I don’t think the Ruark MR1 Mk2s have line-level RCA inputs. They have bluetooth, optical (up to 24/192) and a 3.5mm “aux” input.

Like most contemporary active speakers, they use DSP to tune the response for their drivers. So it really doesn’t matter what DAC you hook up to that 3.5mm jack. The signal is going to go through ADC→DSP→internal DAC.

In any case, I would take the 3.5mm jack as a sign that the designers really aren’t expecting you to use the analogue input. They probably used the cheapest ADC chip they could find. Instead, I’d go for something like the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro and use the optical input.

Or I’d look at a different speaker…

Apparently not - I recall that someone else on the forum asked Ruark about this and apparently they said that the analogue in does not go through DSP.

As it is though, I’ve opted for a refurbished Chromecast Audio which will allow both, measures reasonably and is cheaper than any RPi solution.

Here are the various DACs connected to my Roon Core

Holo Audio Spring KTE with x208 card - spl Phonitor E

Allo Katana player - Geshelli Archel 2 pro

iPhone with Dragonfly red

Emotiva XMC-1 through USB (Raspberry Pi)

Chromecast - Marantz NR1509

1 Like

That’s an odd way to phrase things. It sorta implies that the digital inputs do go through DSP.

The claimed frequency response, “55 Hz – 20 kHz ± 3 dB,” is pretty remarkable for speakers that small, without DSP.

@Matthew_Philpot. Thinking of getting a Orchid. Are you still liking your Pagoda? Did you have any difficulty have Roon recognize your MHDT? I’m not sure it’s room tested?

Recently added Hiby R5 DAP to my arsenal of Roon DACs. Shame I can’t get it’s full potential via the Android OS but it still sounds mighty fine.

Main setup: DAC in the Oppo UDP-205 disc player.
Headphone setup: Chord Hugo2 fed by a laptop with Roon bridge installed.

1 Like

I use a Lumin X1. It is phenomenal.

2 Likes

Hi @Scott_Houston, I own a Rotel RC-1590 too. I am pretty sure its DAC chip is an AKM AK4495. I use the integrated DAC as well. As digital transport, I use a DigiOne (RPi 3B+ + Allo DigiOne +RoPieee) when I want play music with no DSP at all, at its native rate, whatever it is. I appreciate too its near instantaneous response to my interactions at the Roon Control.

For DSD128 upsampled playing, I use a Up GWS01 device (Intel Celeron) with Signalyst’s NAA image and HQPlayer Embedded as DSP engine. It plays DSD128 natively (not DoP). I also own a USBridge device (with Allo DietPi) that I barely use. It can also play native DSD128, both as a NAA (from HQPlayer Embedded upsampled) or as a RoonBridge (Roon Core DSP engine upsampled).

With my old Pioneer LX-75 AVR, I use a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro (RPi 3B + HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro + RoPieee) attached optically to S/PDIF port.

Finally, for my ancient Sony integrated amplifier from the 90s, I built up an Allo Piano 2.1 DAC (Allo Sparky + Allo Kali reclocker + Allo Piano DAC + WiFi module). It brought it again to life.

1 Like

Copland DAC215

Just added a Chord Qutest to the office headphone system today. Colorful device. Runs through a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC (preamp) to an ampsandsound Kenzie. This month I completed a total revamp of the office headphone system.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qutest/

Had to switch around interconnects, since my Cardas were acting like antennas. Ended up putting in Morrows and joyfully the broadcast interference stopped.

Updated list of all my Roon DAC’s.
Uniti Atom, Bluesound Node 2, Squeezebox Radio, Chromecast Audio, Hiby R5, Dragonfly Cobalt, Dragonfly Red, Ifi Nano iDSD BL, HifiBerry Amp+, HifiBerry Amp2, and two currently out of commission, HifiBerry DAC+ ADC and JustBoom DAC+ and Dragonfly Black ( use it on my work pc)

1 Like

miniDSP SHD DAC AK4490EQ/ADC AK5574/DSP Dirac Live 2.0/streamer, running as Roon endpoint. Works without a glitch and sounds great. USD 1150 or USD 1200 with UMIK microphone.

1 Like

Benchmark DAC3 DX using the AES connection.

2 Likes

Right now I’m feeding into a Schiit Modi 3 from my iMac, but that’ll soon be upgraded to a Bifrost 2 when it arrives early next week.

No problems with Roon recognizing either or what bitrates they support. I still have both, though now the Audial S4 has replaced both for the foreseeable future.

Even though the TDA1541 chip is limited to 16 bits, it is the best my system has ever sounded (so far I can remember). It leaves me a little torn though, to be honest. As an engineer, I 100% believe in the principles that all well engineered dacs should sound the same, but my ears tell me different.

Anyways, if 24-bit depth is a requirement for you, then the balanced pagoda is legendary as long as you don’t use the standard tubes.

1 Like

ROCK (Intel NUC i5) --> RoPieee (Pi 4) --> RME ADI-2 DAC FS --> Denon AH-D9200

The RME EQ is used so it (Heavy Metal) sounds the way I want it to. ,/

Roon Rock
Meridian 818v3
Meridian DSP8000SE (upgraded)
Connected using ethernet and Meridian speakerlink
Sounds incredible with any material and spectacular with MQA…

2 Likes

Intel NUC i5 (Roon Core running 2 paths - 1049k taps convolution filters) >> Oppo 205 (via USB) >> Naim Supernait 2 >> Sonus Faber Toy Towers

@Matthew_Philpot. Thanks. Any particular tube that you favored in the Orchid?