What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Good choice :+1: is the DSM the latest Katalyst dac?

Yes. It’s the current and last edition Link :sunglasses:

I’m using a MOON 780D v2. Not only does it sound wonderful, so far it’s behaved flawlessly as a roon endpoint. I never have to switch from being a music listener over to being a technician debugging issues. I’ve had a much better experience with units that integrate the network endpoint into the DAC. The MOON network players get very little attention here on the audio boards, but they’re truly excellent. Enjoy the 680D. I think you’ll be very happy with your choice.

Leema Elements DAC, I had been using it as a DAC and pre amp as it has a built in analogue volume control until recently. Now using it purely as a DAC with fixed output into a Sugden pre amp. It’s much more satisfying this way. About £1500 new but I got it s/h. Hand made in Wales if that interests you, Sugden amps are hand made in England and my Linn speakers are made in Scotland !

LINN SELEKT DSM with KATYLST DAC. About 7K

2 Likes

Mac Mini -> dCS Rossini -> Boulder 850 Monoblocks -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor

2 Likes

Sorry RODIOLPHE_COULIN are you connect the Aqua La Voce S3 via I2S (AqLink) to Ambre Metrum and it works fine also on DSD mode not only PCM?

Do you know if possible also with my DAC Aqua La Scala Mk3 Optologic?

Thanks in advance
Roberto

Bonjour Roberto
Effectivement mon voce S3 est relié à l’ambre par un câble i2s fait maison, car les protocoles sont différents, le lien sur ce forum http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-15351.html
Quoi qu’il en soit, la voce S3 ne gère pas le DSD natif mais sinon fonctionne DSD/PCM.
Pour lton Dac je ne sais pas mais écrit à Christian Anelli le patron de Aqua il répond pour tout détail technique.
Désolé j’écris en Français…
De quelle ville es tu en Italie ?.
Prends soin de toi
Rodolphe

————————

Hello Roberto
Indeed my voce S3 is connected to amber by a homemade i2s cable, because the protocols are different, the link on this forum http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-15351.html 3
Anyway, the voce S3 does not support native DSD but otherwise works DSD / PCM.
For lton Dac I don’t know, but wrote to Christian Anelli, the boss of Aqua, he answered for all technical details.
Sorry I’m writing in French …
What city are you from in Italy ?.
Take care of yourself
Rudolph

Curious to try a R2R based dac, so recently invested in a “cheap” Denafrips Ares II dac (USD 768). What a positive surprise, it’s a keeper.

1 Like

The Denafrips DAC’s do punch well above their weight for sure.

And compared to soekris, any idea?

Well I do have 2 soekris R2R DAM 1021 dacs and I have 2 friends with the Terminator from Denafrips. I like the R2R sound I guess…but I have 3 Lumin’s too, plus a few other Oppo dacs that are ESS based and one or 2 others that I can’t recall the chips used.

I’m a Schiithead.
Started with Gugnir True Multibit™ when it came out some years ago.
Have upgraded to Yggdrasil since. This DAC has it’s second design analogue board now called A2 (how original) and uses Analogue Devices non-audio DA converter chips and Mike Moffat’s analogue mega burito filter.
Most important is the update some time ago to Unison USB™ The unique, in house developed Schiit USB receiver that replaced the standard (and often used) XMOS receiver chip.
I now stream from a USB Raspberry Pi output direct to the DAC.
Read very good things about de Denafrips and would love to compare it.

1 Like

Mac Mini by USB => Mutec MC3+ USB with separate LPS => Abbas Audio DAC 2.2 tube DAC via coax SPDIF => Micromega M100 integrated. I also go from Mutec by To Micromega as well as USB direct from Mac mini to Micromega if I want full DSD.

Hey Larry, I got my Holo May KTE DAC way earlier than I expected. I can not eaaily put into words how much of an improvement my system sounds in contrast to my Matrix XSabre Pro MQA DAC. I’m feeding it an Hqplayer enhanced 1.536mhz upsampled signal in NOS mode at 20bit with Polysincext2 filter and NS9 noise shaping. It’s so detailed, natural, and sounds as closed to the real thing as I’ve ever heard. I’m getting goosebumps experiencing acoustic tracks. So much depth, inner detail, micro and macrodynamics in spades. I highly recommend this dac and will never listen to a chipped dac again. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Jon,

I’m glad you are so happy!! I mentioned that you would hear a big difference! I love when a new component makes such a positive significant change!!! Maybe room correction next improvement?

Cheers!

I’m using a Moon 340i D3Px amp, that comes with an integrated DAC. Connected to a pair of new Bowers and Wilkins 702 S2 Signature speakers. Sounds great.

Roon Core runs on a old (2017) HP EliteBook 820 G1 Intel Core i7-4600U 2.10 a 2.7 GHz Windows 10 Pro 64 bits 8MB. Everything woks fine.

1 Like

That Moon is really, really nice. Never got on with B&W speakers though - just my personal prejudices.

Just ordered an SMSL SU9 for my headphone rig to replace the Ifi Nano iDSD BL. Felt I needed a proper desktop DAC now fto pair with the Schiit Heresy 3. Also gives me upgrade options to balanced amp in te future. The ifi will be up for sale as soon as it arrives unless it sounds crap .

I am using Auralic Aries G2/Vega G2

1 Like