What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

The streamer providers I use are the following:

a. qobuz,

b. Tidal,

c. Spotify,

d. jazzradio.com.

But I mostly use qobuz for the hiress files it has. In the Head Fi community:

1. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/

2. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/

3. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/page-694#post-15872819

you can get reliable information about MQA. Chord (Rob Watts) does not like it and explains why. In any case, I think qobuz has better sound quality …

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Chord products and MQA

Here’s my setup:

Stack Audio Link II endpoint
Chord Hugo Mscaler
Chord Dave
Focal Utopia

10 Likes

SGI i5, ultraRendu, Micromega MyDac

JonC,

You will hear a big difference between the Sabre DAC and R2R…the glare will be replaced by sweet sounding top end!!! Please post when you switch to tell us the difference!

2 Likes

I do use my onboard DA1 DAC it does use a es9016 chip:

Sometimes I am curious about getting an external/independent DAC.
Was thinking for starters to try a Topping E30 (which is only 100+ usd) and see if I feel the difference then move on with something better… What do you think?

I have the same integrated amplifier, and yes, I bought another Dac! And … Yes! 'He plays much better !!

Thanks, will do!

nice! thanks, which DAC are you running?

Chord Hugo tt2.

1 Like

I have the MA7200 that use this Dac and I bought a Cayin IDac MK2 that is a great addition. I would say a good wedding.
But I do not know if you will hear any difference btw the Mc Dac and the topping as the difference is already thin btw the Mc Dac and a much better Dac.

On a blind test i won’t bet the Champs Elysées I can hear a difference btw both dacs…

interesting, between the onboard DA1 and the Cayin IDac MK2?

that is impressive unit, way out of any budget for testing if I heard a difference :smiley:

I’ve always red and heared that the Mc Dac was not that good and give it a try with a dac i liked.
I mean there is a difference with a better Dac double 9028 pro and ability to select 5 different filters and many inputs and outputs.
I also like design and lcd screen that displays info,
So it is more for the overall performance than a big step up.

If you can try several dacs, go for it and decide whether or not you can hear a difference

1 Like

yeah… radder than investing in a 500-1000 usd DAC for experimenting I will grab a pair of Dynaudio Evoke speakers.

Save the money … Until recently I had an MA9000. I replaced its DA1 module using the DA2 module. In terms of sound, that was only a slight increase. But the HDMI input has proven to be quite useful. If you want to significantly improve the sound of the DA1 module, it doesn’t help to look around in the class of 2-3 thousand USD. You have to orientate at the top. I chose the Linn Klimax.

3 Likes

Wow!!!

Atoll - DAC300
Métronome - AQWO

what a beast, a lot of peanuts there!

I just purchased a SimAudio / Moon 680D streaming DAC. It came out almost a year ago. Not many reviews on it yet but I absolutely love it. I think it’s for sure one of the best DACs that is out there. Cheaper than MSB’s entry level DAC which is their “Discrete” DAC. Out of the box their Discrete DAC will not do ethernet streaming. You have to purchase their Renderer input module which is an option.
I think the 680D is $ 9,000.00 MSRP. I think MSB’s discrete DAC is $ 10,000.00 MSRP. Much cheaper than dCS Bartok DAC which is $14,500.00 MSRP.