What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

I have mac mini (as roon core) connected to DS10 with a usb cable (frenze). I’m using it in network mode in general and using roon app my ios devices (using gold note remote rarely) The sound is beyond my expectations.I’m not sure if I’ll need to listen vinyl again.
Pls check if DS10 has it’s firmware updated to 1.7.3
Otherwise it should be done manually and then DS10 becomes compatible with roon. The rest is only pleasure.

2 Likes

Slow reply :rofl: but welcome to the RME club. I know Simon bought late-middle of last year & it seems there’s Magnus and of course me!

:fist_right:

Edit
Living proof - I do read up and likely spend way too much time doing so!

1 Like

Currently I run Roon on a LUMIN T2 for my main lounge room and a smattering of BlueSound PowerNodes, Raspberry Pi’s with DAC HATs and some old Sonos gear through my house.

I’ve just made the investment in a MSB Premier with Powerbase and network renderer module and updated clock. It will be interesting to see how this performs when sitting side by side with my LUMIN.

2 Likes

Hello, I would also like to buy the DS-10 and have a question - does the DAC USB connection setting also work on the DS10 - with a DAC or just the Ethernet connection?

thanks in advance

Yes it works with USB DAC connection as well as ethernet.

Lumin T2 in main rig.

3 Likes

2 systems here:

1. Ropieexl>Khadas tone board>Marantz SR7012
  2. Ropieexl>Topping D90 DAC>Topping A90 amp>Sennheiser HD800S headphones.
1 Like
  1. Mac mini (Roon core) --> Lumin T2 --> ATC SСM 40A
  2. Mac mini (Roon core) --> Lumin T2 (as network transport) --> Mhdt Havana DAC balanced --> SPL Auditor headphone amp

PS. For the second setup I plan to purchase RME ADI-2 DAC

3 Likes

Family room - Lyngdorf 1120
HiFi room - Matrix Element M
Office - ifi Zen DAC
2 sonos play 1
1 sonos play 5

Ifi zen DAC was a recent purchase.
Killer little box for the money.
Drives a pair of HiFiMan Ananda with ease :+1:

1 Like

Sitting with my iPad in the sun with this Moshi DAC for USB C

Quick and dirty but sounds fine

1 Like

I know that it’s not the DAC but I’m dangerously interested in a pair of ATC STM 40As myself. I’m currently listening to a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 actives with a sub. Would be interested in your opinion.

1 Like

1 X Topping D50s
1 X Topping D10s

Happy with these. There again, I’m of the “it’s just a DAC - if it works, it works” school of thought.

So why the D50? Why not two D10s?

1 Like

Damned man, i have the D10 and D50! :smiley:

Atoll Dac 300 MSRP $4000 Canadian

1 Like

I’m sorry for offtopic

I think these are excellent loudspeakers, transparent, clarity, linear, accurate and at the same time possessing sufficient force and speed. I like the philosophy of the sound of the ATC, a certain velvety of their sound. And these are active loudspeakers, which saves a lot of money and time, since ATC loudspeakers are very picky about amplification and in order to open them, a very powerful and expensive power amplifier is required. The active version solves this problem, although it does not provide room for growth. In any case, you need to hear them in order to form your attitude, as a last resort try to listen to other models of SCM20 SCM50 or even SCM100. Just to catch the philosophy of ATC sounding. The SCM40A Cherry was my best choice in terms of size and price, and I have no regrets.

2 Likes

Thanks very much @German_Losev. It’s the actives I’m interested in, not sure I’d ever buy a passive speaker or separate power amp again. I have my eye on the 40As after following similar reasoning, size, aesthetics and price. You’ve done nothing to put me off.

I got the D50s because I wanted one with remote and liked the look of that. Also wanted coax in for CD player. No remote, or coax in, needed for D10 set up.

A very reasonable answer.

However, have you compared the two DACs or better still listened to any alternative DACS, and do they all sound the same to you?

I ask this because I have 4 streaming/DAC sources, and they all sound ‘different’ to my ears. This difference is enough to allow me to rank their sound quality, or at least my preference in respect of their sound quality.

The "It’s just a DAC" philosophy certainly doesn’t hold in my experience.

Now, if you were to claim that a digital cable is “just a cable”, then I would be much more inclined to support your view.

1 Like

I’ve listened to a handful, but not in a controlled environment. I need to double blind test to draw any conclusions. I’m not asserting that all DACs sound the same. What I am asserting is that DACs that measure well (i.e. differences are only located outside of the audible spectrum), will produce identical results. The only way I’d be convinced otherwise is through controlled double blind testing. Without this I would have no way of ascertaining whether or not these results were down to the DAC or some form of cognitive bias.

However, this is only my take on the matter and it takes a multitude of opinions to make the world go round!

1 Like