What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Most of my DACs are whatever Meridian has been building into their active speakers: a 7.1 home theater and stereo living room setup. Photos here.

Outboard DACs include SMSL iDEA for workstation, Dragonfly Cobalt for MacBook Pro (Photos here), Meridian Explorer² for RPi4 whole house audio source and iFi iDSD Black Label for Allo USBridge headphone station.

I expect the new portable iFi iDSD Diablo to be delivered next week.

Esoteric N-01XD

1 Like

Very nice piece of kit.

1 Like

Project Pre-box S2 Digital.
Dual DAC chips…
DSD up to DSD512…
Full MQA hardware unfolding…
Roon Ready.

1 Like

I was using a Meridian Explorer² with an Raspberry Pi and a powerbank as a mobile Roon endpoint for my Dan Clarck ETHER C Flow cans.
The Explorer² died and I replaced it with an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt.
What an improvement. :sunglasses:
I’m glad my cats dropped the Explorer² one time too many from my desk. :grinning:

Using a Simaudio Moon 390 with a pair of 400M’s. Roon works very well with my 390 and i think the best purchase i made a couple of years ago was my lifetime membership.
If anyone knows how to add my AK240 portable DAC’s contents to roon it would be much appreciated.

Devialet Expert Pro 220 internal DAC, is it perfect, NO, is it the Best, NO, is it flexible, meaning swap out one component for another, NO, but it’s what I got and I love it.

I love all the shared info on everyone’s systems and I virtually buy them all the time.

3 Likes

Mac Mini (late 2012) Roon Core → Mac Mini (2018) Roon Bridge → USB out to Topping D10s DAC → Pioneer VSX-07TX → SoundArtist LS3/5a in a near field desktop set up.

The D10s was $112 on Amazon.

1 Like

Just using the line-out from a Chromecast into my Quad 33 preamp this last week. Sounds fine. Can’t see me wanting to spend thousands on a DAC again.

Win 10 desktop into a Schiit Asgard 3 with Multibit into Meze 99 Classics.

1 Like

main: salk streamplayer 3 SE → schiit yggdrasil
endpoint: mac airbook → benchmark 3b / line magnetic 502CA

1 Like

Me too with a qutest

1 Like

Headphones:

iMac → NEO iDSD

Speakers:

Pi 4B → Gustard X16 → Teac AX-505

1 Like

Radio Shack MQA Special DAC with Upgraded Linear Power Supply. JUST AWESOME!

2 Likes

Aesthetix Romulus.

1 Like

Just added a Raspberry Pi 4B endpoint running HiFiBerry OS with a HiFiBerry DAC2 HD HAT to my Man Cave setup.

2 Likes

Holo May here. Like it more than my previous Denafrips Terminator and Chord DAVE.

2 Likes

I have 8 Roon zones, but also another dozen DACs for use with pro audio. The DACS currently used with Roon, in order of Preference are:

Denafrips Ares II
Schiit Modi 3 Multibit (latest gen)
Dragonfly black (only DAC with MQA rendering)
Google Chromecast Audio
Google home
ebay 4xTDA1543 USB DAC
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Backups (USB CS4398 in Marantz int. amp., and Hegel 24/96 USB DAC in int. amp.)

1 Like

I have the same but XLR version. Amazing for the cost of a middle of the road dinner.

1 Like

Linn Akurate DSM combined with Akurate Exaktbox 10 with Katalyst