What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Oppo UDP-203
Project Stream Box S2 Ultra
Project Pre Box S2 Digital
Matrix Audio mini-i pro 3

3 Likes

dCS Rossini

3 Likes

That’s a pretty nice piece of kit!

Roon server on mini 2012–> topping D70s MQA-> unison research unico nuovo-> paradigm monitor9

Curious when Roon starts support for these dacs.

It properly outperforms my old DACMagic 100 connected by USB to the Core.

1 Like

I have bought multiple of these HifiBerry board’s (with cases) and I am just shocked how good they are and it’s not really even a maker project anymore (more like Lego)

Not currently using any live (but did have two running), but maybe looking to expand a headphone room into the conservatory, but we better not tell the wife as there are already two Sonos play one’s out there on nice stand’s which sound great to be fair to them.

3 Likes

What has your experience been like with the Stream Box S2 Ultra and roon? Is it a good combination?

My experience with the Stream Box S2 Ultra and Roon have been all very positive. I started with the Pre Box S2 Digital; it was my jumping off point for wanting to experience TIDAL and MQA for the first time. At the same time, I discovered Roon and learned it was Roon Ready.

The combo works perfectly together in my setup though I can’t comment on using with another DAC.

Having said that, my newest addition, the Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3, is probably the better value if purchasing a streamer/DAC combo with MQA. The Pro-Ject setup is in my office listening area while the Matrix Audio is in my living room Home Theater/listening setup. I learned about the Matrix Audio on the Roon Labs Instagram and after reading the positive reviews, I decided to purchase it and have been very happy with it for the short time I’ve had it.

5 Likes

I use Cocktail Audio N25 and Roon 1.8 on MacOS

2 Likes

PS Audio Directstream Jr
Schiit Yggdrasil (Bryston BDP-1)
Cary XCiter (Sonore ultraRendu)
Bluesound Powernode 2i
Pro-Ject Pre Box s2 Digital (Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra)
Chord QuteHD (Sonore microRendu)
Music Hall 25.3 (W4S Sonos Connect zp90)
Arcam rDac (Sonos Connect zp90)
Schiit Modi 3 (Chromecast Audio)
LG V30 phone
Sonos Connect Amp
Sonos Play5

2 Likes

dCS Bartok - Main headphone rig
Chord Hugo2go - Bedroom headphones
Couple of Naim Mu-So Qb’s - Dining room, Bedroom
Couple of Sonos One’s - Kid’s room, Kitchen

3 Likes

Main: GraceDesign m903
Desktop: ASUS Xonar Essence One

Both of them being used w/ my favourite headphone Meze Empyrean

3 Likes

For the past several years, the regrettably discontinued Oppo UDP-205, via Ethernet from a Synology core. I’ve listened for SQ differences between CD’s and rips of them via Roon, but not seriously enough to have heard any, so far.

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge connected to my core via audioquest pearl ethernet. It’s a very simple setup and the sound quality is fantastic.

1 Like

Musician Pegasus r2r dac replacing my RME Adi-2 dac. Love it!

3 Likes

lovely Line Magnetic space heater too.

2 Likes

Haha, yes! It’s a great combination, this SET amp and a r2r dac

My DAC has nothing to do with Roon because it is not a streaming DAC and I don’t use it as USB DAC either. So between Roon and my DAC there is always a separate streaming unit, but for SQ reasons I prefer SqueezeLite as a player, not RoonReady.

Roon Server 1.8 on Mac Mini M1 8Gb uram / 256Gb SSD.
Music 37.000 tracks flac/hires on Qnap HS-251

In the living:

• NAD M10 BluOS streaming amp.
  • Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2 (2x)
  • DB4S (1x)

In the office:

• Mac Mini M1
  • Arcam rPAC usb DAC
  • Presonus Eris E5 monitor (2x)

In the bathroom

• Raspberry Pi4
1 Like

I have an M10 as well, and really like it. I prefer the M10 to the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 it replaced.

1 Like