What does ARC stand for?

What does ARC stand for? Can’t find it anywhere.

A vote for Roon Mobile. ARC is meaningless to me and likely many others.

But what if I’m not an audiophile?

1 Like

All Rumors Confirmed?

3 Likes

Accessible Remote Core.

Though the first word might be different. Active? Available? Addressable! IDK. But I feel good about the Remote Core part.

I have no insider info on this FWIW. But have been thinking about this question for a while.

3 Likes

Always Requires Connection …
(that is, your core does with 2.0 :face_with_diagonal_mouth:)

Some are not amused at all …

Guess that just means looking for an alternative to Roon 2.0 on my Mac (1.8 legacy?) when in a remote cottage for 2 weeks. Not a massive issue for me, but a bit surprised by this decision and the arguments put forward in favour by Roon.

Ah, well, we have ARC and I like that a lot.

4 Likes

Well- the topic title should be clear already : What do the letters ARC stand for ?
What is the acronym, or otherwise-hidden-meaning ?

I know audio return channel (used in HDMI). What is your meaning, dear Roon people ?

edit. CRAP. Question was asked a million times before. and no answer exists. Thanks anyway:) !

1 Like

What about Away Remote Control?

I’d like to know why on earth they would ever name it ARC when that acronym is already known in the audio industry for Active Room Correction.

1 Like

naming things is hard and Active Room Correction is not really known. ARC and eARC for HDMI is probably better known, and even then its a weird esoteric feature of a cable. I don’t think there is any confusion possibilities.

2 Likes

Are you saying that it stands for AudioReturnChannel?

AlternativeRoonConnection

2 Likes

Well, that is a novel meaning. How about AcronymRoonCreated?

5 Likes

AlwaysRoonConnected

3 Likes

It is all pretty silly and unimportant. Still, I’d prefer something not already encumbered with other meanings.

2 Likes

Roon stated in another post that it isn’t an acronym, but without any further explanation of what it means. :roll_eyes:

When I was invited as a beta tester, I thought ARC was something completely different (there was no explanation of what it was in the invitation). I wasn’t the only one that thought it was something different (room correction).

I wondered if ARC might have been an internal codename that made the leap to an actual feature name. Internal codenames can sometimes have a huge impact on how software engineering and marketing teams think about and conceptualize a feature.

I think if they’d styled it Roon Arc instead of Roon ARC we’d likely be having a very different conversation. :wink:

1 Like

New features usually have internal code names, but - usually - they are given “real” names when shipped. They could have asked for name suggestions before making it public, but I guess they didn’t want to end up with Roony McRoonface.

6 Likes

:joy::joy:

10char

2 Likes

Why does everyone assume that what ARC stands for must be some English phrase,?