What I would have liked in Roon 1.7

Thank you for making my point for me @Geoff_Coupe .

@Tobias_Imbach shouldn’t have tried searching for James Britpop. The software should have given him the opportunity to search only for a band named “James” and it should have returned only bands whose name contains “James”.

No albums, no tracks, no composers, escpecially no record labels (who ever thought that would be a feature people craved?) and no radio stations.

And with a good search function the band he was looking for shouldn’t have been listed “early on”, it should have been the first result, because the shortest corresponding string should come first. I.e. “James” before “James Brown” or “Barclay James Harvest”.

I really don’t get why the development team refuses to implement a half decent search function.

3 Likes

Aside from the stuff that’s already been said (mobile first and foremost), a renewed emphasis on local libraries. So the UI overhaul, a usable frontend for room correction (I personally don’t care if it’s Dirac or not, and would in all honesty prefer that it wasn’t), “party mode”, things like that.

Valence is all fine and good, it’s a massive undertaking, and of course streaming is the future, but between 1.6 and 1.7, I’m starting to get a sense that Roon is focusing a bit too much on being a fancy front-end to streaming services, and I’d really welcome progress that shows there’s more ambition than that.

2 Likes

What should have been in Roon 1.7 but isn’t there is a bit of love and tenderness for the basics of Roon. I really like the new features and I see where the new UI design is heading which is all good but I hope next time they also take the oldest parts of Roon with it because there are still a whole lot of inconsistancies in the whole UI. This problem only gets bigger each and every upgrade with all these partly changes. All in all my wishes for Roon 1.7 where actually not much more then some love and care about the old bits. I allways ak myself “could my mother in law use it?” and each update I’m a little less sure of that mainly because of the inconsistancies that only add up.

3 Likes

Another voice chiming in for the remote access. It works flawlessly in Plex, just shamelessly copy whatever network code they have conjured up.

1 Like

If you think that is easy, you are delusional. And how does that procedure help someone who has kids or others permanently in-house who you want to be able to have their own account and playlists, but you want to have read-only access to the music library files?

I think it was a joke. It was a lot of work, which only makes the charade more admirable.

2 Likes

That’s weird,

James came up straight away for me, maybe because they are in my local library? They are in the top row on the far right. Perhaps there is a reason that they don’t come up as the first result especially considering I simply typed “James” in the search field.

That’s why. If they are in your library they are part of the search index.

I simple freakin sleep timer.

Yes I know I can make up play lists and all that but it would mean I can simply select and artist and random and just let it play for 45min or 1 hour. plus I could use it with internet radio.

1 Like

While you’re waiting for Roon to (maybe) include this, there is always this Alarm Clock extension for Roon:

What I also would have liked to see is a third colour scheme. In general I think the dark theme is to black overall and highly grapic card/display dependant. The light theme is to light overall. In other words both are a bit to extreme. A third colour scheme somewhere in between, something easier on the eyes, a bit more timeless design focussed on funtionality/readability would be very welcome. There has been a talk about some time ago but it has dissapeared to the background.

Would love to see Apple Watch complication similar to, if not exactly like BluOS. Would like to be able to force press Roon Radio button and get Play now, Add next, Queue options.

A dedicated podcast download area tab (such as the new radio) which allows download and storage of podcast and updates. Secondly the ability to search for two or more parameters i.e. composer and musician and perhaps studio, for example

• fix the spurious artist object creation bug that’s been demonstrated to be readily reproducible
    Box sets - Individual album art per disc.
  • Box sets - Individual album name per disc (through support for the discsubtitle tag)
  • Box sets - Make discsubtitle searchable along with what’s already searchable
  • Box sets - album review per disc
  • Biographies - enable import of artist biographies from a designated folder and filename structure. There are way too many with nothing and it hasn’t noticeably improved since launch nor can it reasonably be expected to for more obscure artists/bands
  • Artist pics - get better at sourcing and adding artist images. There are way too many with nothing and it hasn’t noticeably improved since launch.
  • Artist pics - make it so user added pics can be dropped in a designated folder using a designated file naming convention and Roon then imports
  • Roon on the go
  • More interesting/ stimulating ways to visualise/ explore a music collection (regardless of whether on prem or streaming)
  • Long shot: include biographies and album reviews in search results
  • Amazon integration
4 Likes

Agreed the Track numbers were supposed to have improved for box sets, but the Box sets detail have not improved by any stretch of the imagination.

The Box set if collected from different albums and album art, takes on the first album in the series for the rest of the discs, this is UNCHANGED from 1.6 and before. OR if discs are renamed in sequence, such as 1-Track 1, 1-Track 2, 2-Track 1, there’s only one entry for albums, and only one artwork since all the tracks are in one folder. Fine for some collections, but not all which seem to be the majority.
I don’t see any guidance around this.

Also agreed, the artists pics are useless, having modern photos of artists now doesn’t relate to the music you have on local drives, perhaps if you went to a live concert, yesterday? Besides many are blank as before.

Given up on Roon to go, with the huge database strings across an open 4G/5G not going to happen.

1 Like

There are not things “I would have liked to see in R1.7”, it is simply a list of things that spring to mind in response to “what else can they do beyond bug fixes and performance boosts”, and hopefully whilst doing whatever comes next with Valence.

1 Like

Fair point. It was shifted here because it’s a good list that deserves dev attention and it will get that more here than in the old thread.

These are what I am waiting for seems like such simple things to do. I use a few other programs and these allow the above to be implemented, but don’t have the same depth as roon for finding out about other artist and new music. Please can these be added so to me roon is another step closer to been complete.

Sorry @Lloyd_Borrett, I was indeed being sarcastic. Of course it’s crazy, who would ever do this? The point here is that for want of a simple feature from Roon, we have no real work around to protect our personal music libraries. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes tone doesn’t translate in the written word. Cheers.

I would like the ability to Focus on a subdirectory on the Internal Storage Drive in the NUC Rock.