What INTEL NUC do you use for ROON Rock?

NUC7i5BNH since August 2018. Rock solid. No problems.

@fatez, how does one go about doing that?

I made the apparent mistake of buying the “latest and greatest “ NUC 10 before I realized that I should have bought a NUC 8 instead. :frowning:

NUC8i5BEH - very solid & good performance on my network.

Just under 3.000 albums in my Roon Library, of which around 2,200 are stored on my local NAS and the rest are from Tidal.

NUC 7i7DNBE (Core i7 8th Gen, Intel Core i7-8650U vPro) inside fanless PrimeMini 4 chassis.

8 gen i3, Akasa fanless case, running non stop for about a year, basically trouble free.

NUC6i3SYH. 6th gen i3. Works great since 2016.

Another NUC7i5BNH user here. 4300 albums. Fairly happy with it, but it is not a flawless experience.

Turn it off at night always and sometimes the control devices need to be rebooted in order to recognise the core after restart.

Why not let it run 24/7?

But why?

I turn on my stereo when I will listen to music and then turn it off when I don’t. I turn off the bathroom lamp when I leave and turn it back on when I return.

The only reason to leave it running 24/7 would be to get rid of the restart of the devices, but why waste electrical energy for such a small hiccup? Apart from the energy waste, it is not silent and annoying to have buzzing constantly.

1 Like

I think Roon core devices tend to work better when you leave them running 24/7. My Nucleus has not been turned off since I got it in early December, except for a couple reboots.

1 Like

good idea, the tipp with the bathroom lamp. :wink:
for me it would be an energy waste too if the NUC runs 24/7

It pretty flawless if you leave the core running 24/7, but I agree with you, and have often commented, this is not always ideal. As for needing to reboot things when you power the core back up, does it change IP address? Perhaps you can set a reservation in your router so this doesn’t happen?

It used to. A few months back I set a static IP for the NUC which improved things immensely. Good tip though.

Contemplating keeping it switched on, but for me I have three issues:

1. NUC too close to listening spot, so clearly audible in quite passages.
  2. My Chord Mojo DAC runs on batteries, so am pretty careful with switching that one off too. It needs to be also carefully started in order to work.
  3. Waste of energy. Small in the grander scheme of things, but just doesn’t feel right.

1 and 2 might not be problems in a different setup and might also change at my place, but 3 is hard to get around.

Well, it’s about 8 watts.
To be consistent, one should also turn off clock radios, DVRs and the really big splurge, a satellite dish (24 watts). Just turn them on ten minutes before you need to use them, just like the NUC.

Sure, if I had those things I would probably turn them off too.

Stereo switches off, iMac goes off, MacBook Pro goes off. Apart from fridge and freezer, there is not much else plugged in at home not in active use.

2 Likes

How much DDR is ‘enough’ for ROCK?

Does more RAM improve performance, everything else being equal?

Would a jump from 8Gb to 24Gb yield wins?
Must the clock speeds of both modules match to see best performance?

I currently run a >100k track library on a nice old NUC7i5, with an M2 and SSD that were near-optimal the many years ago I built it. Single DDR4-2400 8Gb module.

Some users have found increasing from 8GB has some improvement, particularly with large libraries.

You could add an additional 8GB module and allow the NUC to benefit from dual channel RAM.

Also consider a faster NVMe SSD for the Roon database. These have dropped in cost over the last years and 250GB is now the entry level.

I built my NUC7i7DNKE with 16GB and a Samsung 950 EVO Plus last year.

1 Like

Depends on library size , I went mad at 32 gb . Probably 16 would have been plenty.

The 2 slots must have matched speeds Memory types etc , probably best bought at the same time.

Mine is 10i7, 256 SSD , M.2 with a 4Tb internal SSD And a optional 5tb USB HDD, I mostly disable this to de clutter views (125k tracks without 200k with)

It’s now 6 months old , never touched it :sunglasses:

1 Like

@danny - I am running IntelÂŽ NUC Comet Lake i7-10710U - Does this have Ethernet issues?

Torben

I’m running a NUC7CJYH. Bought it to try it out as an endpoint running ROCK, then had issues with my Windows Core (a NUC i5) that required me to reinstall everything, switched over to the Celeron unit for a short term fix and I’ve never needed to go back.

Never hear the fan on, no issues except wifi doesn’t work, which isn’t a problem as I wanted to use Ethernet. I can even do upsampling and convolution filters without issue.