What INTEL NUC do you use for ROON Rock?

What INTEL NUC do you use for ROON Rock?
Your experience, comments etc.

Mine is a NUC7i5BNH transplanted into a fanless Asaka Newton S7 case. It’s been operational since June 2017. Very happy with it.

I use an Intel NUC8i7BEH…been using the last six months or so running ROCK in a standard configuration. Loving it so far.

3 Likes

You might want to check out this thread, especially the comparison of an older generation i3 vs Nuc8i7.
@Mikael_Ollars has also composed a list of NUC capabilities here. It’s just a bit old, but frankly it doesnt appear that newer versions of NUCs have much to offer in Roon Performance vs older generations.

Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i3BEH). Works very well. once in a while it needs a reboot, but otherwise, cools quiet and stable. Don’t understand why anyone would need more than a modern i3 to run Roon.

My 8i7beh is dead. (critical bios update) I’m looking for something better that will only handle rock roon.
rock is compatible with 10 ?

NUC7i7BEH. Flawless for us.

NUC8i5BEH. No problems at all. I don’t use DSP.

NUC5i3MYHE

With 8GB RAM, 240GB SATA SSD
Has been running ROCK since it was released.
Used with a 19V 100VA LPS, so 4.2A available

Runs everything I can throw at it, up-conversion to DSD218, DSD256 (though my Naim NDS network player only supports DSD64), down-conversion of DSD256, DSD218, 24/384 & 24/352.8, upfolding all MQA, supports DSP convolution files and it can do all this on multiple zones all at the same time.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Don’t normally run with any DSP, but good to know that a NUC5i3 can do it, the same as NUC7 & NUC8 i5 & i7 units.

Current library is 6.5k albums, 88k tracks with 56% in some sort of 24-bit HiRes format (7.4TB on NAS in RAID1 array, with daily sync backup to another NAS in RAID1 array, with offline back on RAID0)

1 Like

Intel NUC 7i5

5i5mybe OEM NUC board in an Akasa Plato MC enclosure.

NUC8i3BEH, 8gb RAM, 256 gb M.2 SSD
Library: 1000 albums, 14,000 tracks (downloads + Tidal + Qobuz).
Seems very responsive and stable.

Intel NUC NUC7i7DNKE Dawson Canyon i7-86
16GB (2x8GB) Crucial DDR4-2400 CL17 SO-D
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus Series NVMe 250
So far so good :slight_smile:

Intel NUC 7 (NUC7i5BNH) - Core i5, Tall, running Roon ROCK. It works as a server only, and has been flawless. I used it as an endpoint too, with a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC feeding the mostly-background-music speakers in the living room, kitchen, etc. When this setup was going to inherit an exaSound e12 DAC from my regular listening room setup, I learned that exaSound and Linux don’t talk to each other. So now I use another old computer as an endpoint.

I use a NUK8i5BEH with 250GB NVM SSD for Roon Rock and a 1TB sata3 SSD for the library, I run 3 zones, one with no DSP or sample rate conversion, one with PEQ, volume control and sample rate / format conversion (PCM only DAC) and one with PEQ and no sample rate conversion.

The installation of ROCK literally took 30 seconds, I was shocked how quickly it installed.

Snappy performance too.

I have a NUC8i7BEH. Has been flawless so far

This was my main desktop machine back when I bought it. I recently repurposed it with ROCK and although this particular model is left out form the supported ones it has been chugging along very nicely. 16GB RAM and 180GB SSD inside, only spins up the fan when adding new music so not a big problem.

1 Like

i use a Intel NUC Dawsoncanyon NUC7I7DNH2, Samsung M2SSD, 8GB Ram
a fast, very quiet, problem free machine
files on a synology 1813+ NAS

Not yet. it has Ethernet issue

just put an updated kernel and the ethernet works