What INTEL NUC do you use for ROON Rock?

That post you referenced said “not yet” and was from 3 years ago before ROCK supported the NUC10, but now it is (at least some models) on the official ROCK compatibility list (and it was 2+ years ago when I bought mine)

@Suedkiez - oh :anguished: Sorry

Torben

:slight_smile: The list is here:

I run my core on NUC5i7 and endpoint on NUC5i5, works excellent!

am running NUC10i7FNH1. Looks like I’m the only one with a NUC10 so far…

Works great.

1 Like

NUC8i5SEH with 64Gb of Ram :joy:. Maybe a little overkill here but it was already in it when I bought it as an occasion… Works fine, also with DSD.

Another question or two, thank you all for DDR-savvy answers…

1. are there any projections on how RAM needs to scale with ROCK library size?
  2. would it be a good idea to replace a DDR module that’s been in service for several years?

Thanks for your reply @simon_pepper- matching modules for ‘true Dual Channel’ versus FLEX for mismatches was all news to me :thinking:

I found some interesting posts on the pros and cons here, but I have neither the time nor appetite to investigate the specifics on what will happen if I mismatch on the compact Linux distro with ROCK.

So I’m gonna play safe and match!

Cheapest option would be another matching Crucial 8Gb module for £20 GBP.

SEH? Google and the Intel website only finds a NUC8i5BEH. What’s the S if I may bother you?

@Torben_Rick has one and I use a NUC10i5FNH in a fanless Cirrus7 nimbini Media Edition, with Samsung SDDs, flawless for 2+ years, way more than fast enough for my modest library (45K tracks) and convolution filter in one zone

1 Like

A keyboard error? You’re right. It’s a B :wink:

Ah! :slight_smile: Then 64GB are indeed overkill because according to Intel it can only address 32. But as you got it kind of for free, it doesn’t hurt either :wink:

Interesting, Intel should update their site :slight_smile:

1 Like

NUC11TNHi7 has been rock solid (pun intended) for me. USB and HDMI Audio out worked reliably with no issues. Plus, it fits in a Akasa Turing fanless case which keeps CPU temps lower than the factory fan set up!

1 Like

Have tried install Roon on QNAP NAS and i5 Desktop each for a month since joined Roon last December. Now Roon Rock on NUC12WSHi7Oz for almost 3 months now. Have 16G x 2 3200 Ram and upgraded to 32Gx2 3200 Ram. Samsung 1T 970 EVO plus M2 SSD for Rock OS. No internal storage. Akasa Turing fanless case with external Noctua Fan at one end using 5V USB power supply.
Have about 800,000 tracks (Reduce from 1M tracks). Still struggling on usage and seems still importing the music from my NAS. Very slow response and can only use the internet radio really. Have turned off both audio analysis and still has no improvement. HDMI audio is not supported by the Rock for NUC12 yet.
Really like the small form factor of the NUC for the Roon. Do not want to build a desk top for running Roon. May be Roon is not suitable for me and will not renew the subscription.
Thanks.

I run Roon Rock on an Intel NUC (Bean Canyon) 8i5BEH3 with just 8 Gb RAM and I have no issues whatsoever with reliability or performance.

I have around 2,400 albums in my music library ripped onto a Synology DS216+II NAS, and currently a further 600 or so albums in my music library sourced from Qobuz or Tidal.

I try not to clutter my music library too much. If i want to listen to something by the Stones for example (I probably only have 5 or 6 of their albums in my library), I simply run a search on the Stones and browse through their discography. No point in including all of their albums in my music library. I find that my music library works best when it is limited to albums by more obscure (to me) artists and albums that I really like and play a lot.

NUC10i7FNH (tall chassis), 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD (system), 4tb SSD (internal, local music storage), 1gig ethernet.

Works fine, no performance issues thus far.

3 Likes

You are NOT alone my friend. I have been running Roon ROCK in a NUC 10i7FNHN1 (16GB RAM and 240GB SSD) for the last 22 months without a single issue.

2 Likes

NUC 5i3RYK, database on synology 418play. Not a single issue, DSP and all works fine, about 160.000 songs, three years and counting.

2 Likes

cirrus7 nimbini v3 - Intel® NUC Comet Lake i7-10710U
16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM, SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB, M.2, SSD 870 QVO 1TB, SATA

Absolut silent and works just fine.

Torben

4 Likes