What is accomplished by attaching a Roon Ready device directly to the Core machine?

I don’t get what is accomplished by attaching SMS-200, or for that matter mR or an SBC, to core machine. These devices are strictly for use as an endpoint on a network. They don’t offer any USB enhancement. They only promise to not add any additional noise.

I found an sq improvement with it in there. Probably due to the isolation from my PC afforded by Ethernet connection between the sms and the PC. I was getting occasional static like clicks and pops without the sms and with it I get none. I run roon server as the PC is not able to run roon core so for a number of reasons should probably look at a better PC but suffer from terminal idleness so it will probably have to break before I shuffle into action!

I have an SMS-200 that I use as an endpoint. I don’t notice an SQ difference between that and an RPi, but my audio memory (like most people except professionals) is short. Never attached it to the ethernet port on the core machine. It seems like what would be more effective is some sort of USB cleaner upper.

I’ve made this argument, vociferously, in another post about mRendu. To see an answer by the designer of mRendu go here -

Eeerrrrrrmmm, I think that is what I do. PC to SMS via Ethernet and SMS via USB to dac. Hard drive with music connected to PC via USB and PC is running Roon Server. Would it be better to connect hard drive to Ethernet gigabit switch direct? I think I can do that just never got round to trying it!

That article, in so many words, is saying don’t attach mRendu etc. directly to PC via ethernet. Instead, in your case, SMS-200 should be connected off switch, that’s it’s function, i.e. to feed an endpoint off the network. There’s no point in attaching SMS-200 directly to PC, you might as well connect DAC directly to PC.

Typical setup is core->network switch->SMS-200->DAC->etc, etc… Hard drive should be connected to USB on core PC. How can you connect a USB hard drive to a gigabyte switch? Are you confusing Ethernet switch with USB hub?

I connect PC to Ethernet switch then Ethernet switch to SMS. SMS is connected to dac via USB. External hard drive holding music folder is connected to PC via USB. I run Roon Server on the PC which runs W10.

1 Like