What is Roon? My thoughts

Yes my DAC does that to my vinyl. I can’t say I hear any degradation in that either and until then I’m not going to worry about it.

1 Like

But do you also criticize them if they can’t lift 1,000 kilograms? :wink:

A DAC for Vinyl? Wait… what???

3 Likes

Haha NAD converts it all to digital I’m afraid and so did my old Devialet.
I look at the electricity bill after a full analogue valve system and smile….

2 Likes

Nope, I meant at no additional charge. This is as I expected. And why having measurement tools but being unable or unwilling to generate your own room correction filters on demand via your software application or hardware component is unwise. Instead, you are more or less beholden to an ongoing third party service. But maybe you do not care about money.

AJ

Guys, did you not read my post above? Stop posting outright wrong or outdated information. Stop it.

I do not have a dog in the fight, but Dirac Live does not require multiple A/D/A conversions. The original context in this thread was Audirvana, which supports use of loopback plugins that Roon does not.

Dirac Live software running on the same CPU can be interconnected with Audirvana. And, of course, no A/D/A conversions are required or even possible in that scenario.

Now, if you are stuck with a Dirac Live miniDSP hardware component that utilizes A/D/A conversions, well, you bet on the wrong horse. However, stop acting as if it is the only horse. This is not like 15 years ago when Audyssey was available initially and only in the MultEQ Pro Sound Equalizer standalone hardware component, which necessarily required A/D/A conversions.

I already posted above at least one current miniDSP hardware component that incorporates Dirac Live, is fully digital, and, oh, just so happens to be Roon Ready.

AJ

You sure about this?

2 Likes

Funny (IMHO) video removed

1 Like

Roon is doing alright for what it is. Catering to a minority of music freaks compared to the millions of people using apple and Spotify.

I hope that roon updates their software to Natively support apple silicon and ditch support for some of the older hardware

Andrew,

My whole point was that my Dirac system started working on the Analog signal that my DAC provided and undid all that work. My RC Software from Thierry can always be altered, changed or redone if you do changes to your system or playback room. Why pay for a top quality DAC only to waste that effort with another piece of RC hardware? I guess you say that Dirac is different now…and that’s good for you.

Danny has already stated publicly that he is using a beta version on his M1 Mac. So hopefully that’s a good sign, though they never promise delivery dates.

I do that is why I use his services as it would cost more to add a Dirac enabled device. I have paid under £150 for DSP for 2 rooms. To do that via Dirac isn’t possible with my gear and not in all rooms. Infact I could get DSP filters for all rooms via HAF and still have enough left over for many changes.

And with my system yes it would be using 2 X ADC and 2 X DAC if I was to use a cost effective method such as miniDSP as it’s an all in one system with Roon Ready. 2500 for one device to use room correction to get a digital out that I could use is not what I would call cost effective.

1 Like

I just love these threads where people describe applying huge amounts of DSP, room correction, Dirac, blah blah, which I’m sure makes their listening experience “better”, yet there are threads where people literally come to blows over MQA. You could not make it up :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

What’s a “huge amount” of DSP, and what does that wave to do with MQA?

We sometimes have too charged a discussion here. Exchanging opinions is particularly valuable when you don’t argue too vehemently, but clearly work out different points of view. It’s good that this is dressed up in questions, because that way it can be underpinned with further thoughts.

Wow, I thought I wandered into a room correction thread. :wink: Not really interested.

Back on the original topic. As to whether Roon is just a marketing promise? So far for me it’s just a marketing promise. I gave the same promise to my wife that she could now access my library from her iPad/iPhone and send sound anywhere through the house. She was thrilled. I was thrilled, that she was thrilled. Well, she stopped using it. Says, its too slow, doesn’t come immediately back between apps, and takes too long to do anything. So its an as yet unmet promise to me and my wife! A promise I long to see fulfilled. I guess that’s a long way of saying I’m subscribing as long or until there is a better solution. Jriver, Plex, Audirvarna, all may yet deliver the one app solution. Or maybe Apple/Amazon/Google may decide combining actual content and front-ending Allmusic along with some audio transport agnostics is the ticket. Better yet they decide to buy Roonlabs! Lol. Who knows? Today I’d say Roon does more for audio and audio distribution within the home than the competition, but the competition is not done. And I still rely on these other programs to access my library when I tire of Roon’s mercurial behavior. Let’s see what the future brings.

5 Likes

The “charged discussions” are often through misunderstandings and I have been on the receiving end of mild belligerence more than once. In a predominantly English speaking forum the use of online translation appears to be common place and the posters have to place trust that the translation is accurate. Fortunately, most of the time, we (natural English speakers) can make sense of the often confusing translation and respond accordingly.

Unfortunately in cases where contributors have a good command of the English language comprehension can be an issue. Cultural & colloquial aspects of common phrases are often misunderstood, respondents become aggrieved and a reasonable community discussion morphs into a trivial rant.

There are those, of course, who get heated about someone challenging their views who subsequently disregard diplomacy and rant anyway.

If a post irritates me, I read it multiple times to consider alternative interpretations before responding by which time diplomacy returns often resulting in a more measured, or no response.

3 Likes

If you don’t understand what that means, then check out the “post your signal chain” thread. Lots of people using huge DSP there. If you don’t understand why that conflates with the MQA “debate” then check those threads out (although most of them have, rightly, been closed). So, what do they say, basically do your own research.

Self-critically, I have to note that my language skills here are between barely adequate and poor. It always amazes me what the Google translator does. This Google translator probably doesn’t deserve better grades either. Very often I look at the text again with Deepl and try to remember what the English teacher wanted to get into my head 50 or 60 years ago. I hope this way a satisfying dialogue is possible.

2 Likes

I use DIRAC and it has taken my room out of the equation but it doesn’t sit in ROONs signal chain when you press the dot. I would prefer to have the perfect room but that wouldn’t suit domestic bliss.
I have asked the question before which I think you are alluding to in a different way as to why people have a snobbery about bit rates and seek out only the best masters when they are using the equivalent of an 80s graphic equaliser to add their ‘taste’ to the signal.
I’m pretty chilled these days and have jumped off the ‘chasing shadows’ path, downgraded my whole system and just enjoy the music.
Just to keep on track - ROON to me finds and displays my album art work. I would have paid double for that!

3 Likes