What is the weakest part of Roon?

So different are the likes of different people. I wouldn’t want this.
My message to the guys at Roon: if you consider some of this ideas, please make it optional for everyone how likes to usability as it is!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread. I’ve set it to close in 24 hours so people can “like” weaknesses mentioned by others or add some final thoughts.

If left open indefinitely then threads like this tend to get unusably long and go off on tangents and meander about. The idea, of course, is to help the devs identify what aspects of Roon need work according to users. Hopefully it can provide some useful feedback in that regard.

It’s a bit different from Requests for 1.3, although they may ultimately both be ways of looking at the same thing.

The end of this thread isn’t the end of discussion. The Feature Request section has threads about a number of the issues raised; start another if you don’t see something you want changed already mentioned.

Thanks to all those who have participated. Nothing like a good Intervention to tell someone how much you care …

1 Like

Gotta love that one! — wrong from a UX… erhhh any perspective really.
And along those lines, if I press a song title, what else could I have in mind than to atually play that song?
That black overlay has to go.

3 Likes

Yes, but then hide it in contextual right click menu. 9 out of 10 times you just wan’t to play the song — not start the a radio or queue it. The UX rationale is a bit strange on that one.

I disagree with you. I use add to queue and add next all the time. Just because you don’t use these features… doesn’t mean others don’t and they should kill it.

8 Likes

They shouldn’t kill it — didn’t say that.

What they should do is let the predominant feature, in this case “Play”, rule the function and let other functions be secondary. Secondary functions can be put/placed in right clicks, secondary but dedicated buttons etc.

2 Likes

So then the question becomes, does anyone actually use it this way?

I do it all the time.

While i love the radio feature above almost any there are a few frustrating aspects of it. One that annoys me is that when choosing between versions of a song the radio seemingly always picks the track from the greatest hits album versus the original recording. This wouldn’t be too bad but most of my collection the original release either pre-dates or is at the beginning of the loudness wars while the compilation albums all suffer greatly from it.

I’ve noticed that Greatest Hits thing too with radio and it also drives me nuts.

hmmmmmm, NO!

2 Likes

I misunderstood what you meant by that then… I was thinking you meant those other features as well.

And again: NO!
This pretty black box is great. In all other players it happens that I accidently delete my queue. In roon this never happens and that’s great.
Different people - different use cases.So please, you have your point of view, and that’s ok. But it is not the right thing for everybody.

4 Likes

same here!

1 Like

Dear Roon - Regarding “PLAY” immediately Vs As-Is debate, i have a comment.

Some of us here are emotionally (including myself) attached to the existing PLAY pop-up menus which further asks what should be actual action. - I LOVE it that way it is compared to my past experiences.

However there will be equally opposite requests which are also emotionally asking to not call for the PLAY-POP up routine. I have written earlier too but it is time Roon enables this features to satisfy many emotions out there.

Settings -> General -> PLAY Preferences : No POP UP/ Vs POP-UP. whatever cool name you can think of.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I didn’t say it was right for anybody. All design decisions made, will be a compromise to some. It’s a “debate” and it’s my opinion. Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes it is indeed intuitive to use …

For me, the weakest part of Roon is the fact that the Radio feature keeps playing the same tracks from my collection. The algorithm doesn’t seem to cast its net wide enough in my collection. I’m willing to concede that with only 1,000 or so albums, the pool may not be big enough, but I thought it would be better than what I experience.

7 Likes

I’ve made some suggestions for user tuning of Roon Radio’s selections that should hopefully go some way to alleviating the current frustrations with it. If you like them, vote for them.

1 Like

One of the weakest parts for me:

Not having access to a listing of the files/folders which Roon skipped on importing a local library.

5 Likes
  1. I don’t like the pawmasher either and there’s a reasonable alternative as I’ve already commented [here] (“Play rest of album starting with this track” option) - it’s also compact, tidy & logical.
  2. “Radio”. It’s not a radio, it’s a contextual shuffle. So please rename it to RoonShuffle. And sort the algorithm out while you’re at it !
  3. Remote access via VPN or sockets / tunnelling etc. I travel a lot & currently drag a 3TB USB drive around…but why…? Using SqueezeServer / LogitechMediaServer I can connect to my NAS from anywhere - including in planes now (!) - and play my music at will. Surely this kind of access / integration is the next step & sorely missing ?
3 Likes

+1 for RoonShuffle!

3 Likes