What makes a great JAZZ PIANIST? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Not Jazz here but he also plays Jazz.

Hank Jones comes to my mind first.

2 Likes

8 Likes

8 Likes

Outstanding Horace Tapscott recording and a clinic in the art of holding together and driving a large orchestra from the piano.
RoonShareImage-636924917148863210

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the great – literally his hands looked like they could span two octaves – Randy Weston. Saw him many times. Also brilliant at making an ensemble cohere.

RoonShareImage-636925577201795740

5 Likes

@Miklats recommended the brand new album “Near and Now” a couple of days ago. That’s how he reminded me of Gwilym Simcock, a great jazz pianist from Wales…

6 Likes

Album review says it all. Discovered this album thanks to a recent Speakers Corner vinyl reissue. What an interesting pianist.

5 Likes

This recording is outstanding with superb sonics. Helluva rhythm, section too!RoonShareImage-636934567795247120

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for this great recommendation, Aaron. Didn’t know this album. Great stuff!!!

1 Like

A female pianist I really admire is Kris Davis. Check her out on this trio album…

7 Likes

Kris Davis is amazing. Up there with Craig Taborn and a select few.

3 Likes

Nice convergence! She has an album “Octopus” with Craig Taborn, highly recommended.

2 Likes

Super duper – unsurprisingly. Great sound to boot. RoonShareImage-636951696609742180

6 Likes

It’s shocking that such a good recording it was somewhere hidden for 20 years before being released. I’ve been listening to it repeatedly since it showed up in Qobuz a few days ago.

2 Likes

Although when you consider the number of masterpieces that languished in the Blue Note vaults for years and years – like Hank Mobley’s Slice of the Top or Wayne Shorter’s Etcetera – it seems like it must be a common practice for labels that have a lot of releases.

3 Likes

Lots of great choices here.

If you like Monk, Frank Kimbrough has recently released a 6 CD set playing every single composition of Monk - it’s called Monk’s Dreams. Highly recommended.

Another pianist I really like is Mike Longo, who used to play with Dizzy.

No one seems to have mentioned Basie. No flash, but he’s perfected the art of making every single count.

Mc Coy Tyner seems to be missing too. Maybe the big chords are no longer so popular?

Herbie Hancock? Fantastic pianist.

A few more that didn’t make the thread: Tommy Flanagan, Horace Silver, Errol Garner, David Kikoski, Kenny Barron

PS for some reason, I don’t get most of the pictures posted, so apologies if I’m repeating someone else’s posts.

3 Likes

I like Tommy Flanagan and André Previn very much also. I may have missed them in this very long thread.
Also, while tame, Beegie Adair is quite tasteful.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Hi @seaharp1!

Yeah, Petrucciani was and is absolutely amazing. Here are two recommendations I posted in November 2017 – in reply to a post by @anon49565150, who recommended one of Petrucciani’s piano & organ duet albums (with Eddy Louis). Just in case you don’t know these records yet…

5 Likes