What makes a great JAZZ PIANIST? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

I see he’s going on tour with the incredible Cecile McLorin Salvant.

2 Likes

Right now I am enamoured with the latest from the Tord Gustavsen Trio. A minimalist recording with amazing clarity and detail.

3 Likes

Wow. RoonShareImage-637039913685137100

7 Likes

Agreed. Fabulous album.

1 Like

Reviving a dormant but quite excellent thread.

So I scrolled through and read this lovely thread, which contains many really wonderful recommendations on jazz piano playing and players. Most of them I know but there are a few that are new to me as well.

Below are several of my favorites that have not been mentioned thus far. This is understandable for those few less well known musicians but there are also a few giants who somehow have been overlooked. Not anymore :grin:

Waldron’s style is unique and totally his own. One my all time favorites.

Another one of my all time favorites. The Sixth Sense is a completely overlooked classic.

If you don’t already know Jaki Byard then you are in for a treat!

A relatively young Frenchman with amazing technique.

A Dutch giant.

How did Monty not get a mention?

And Hampton?

And Hill?

Not mentioning the one and only Cecil, who is world unto himself, would be a grave sin.

Enjoy!

10 Likes

Revisiting Monk’s lyrical side, a warm, delightful reinterpretation, needed antidote for the pervasive anxiety.

5 Likes

This collection spans a broad range of musical expressions, tying together the multiple facets of Preston’s distinguished career. Writing about a live performance, Bill Kohlhaase notes “…(Don Preston) still attacks the keys with the intense passion that generated Cecil Taylor comparisons, but his solos also reflect intellect, technical skills and a storyteller’s way with a line…And his playing, like his compositions, ranges across panoramas of mood and emotion, all colored with the freedom that comes from possessing remarkable facility.” Likewise, this recording features these same qualities and provides an insightful look at the talents of Mr. Preston. Don Preston is known to jazz and keyboard aficionados for his pioneering contributions in the use of synthesizers and piano. Many will recognize the name, Don Preston, from his long collaboration with Frank Zappa as the keyboardist in the Mothers of Invention.

4 Likes

The final album by West Coast pianist and composer Horace Tapscott is one of sublime gentility, reaching harmonic elegance and meditative grace. Accompanied by Billy Harton drums and bassist Ray Drummond, Tapscott moves through five compositions by others – including Charlie Parker’s “Now’s the Time”; Sonny Rollins’ “Oleo”; and Gig Gryce’s “Social Call,” as well as Thurman Greene’s “Lullaby in Black” – and adds four of his own to a set that is unusually devoid of odd time signatures and floating rhythmic techniques. There is a gorgeous waltz in “As a Child” that is big on rigorous attention to harmonic detail and not lilting danceability. Also, during the title track, Hart and Drummond move the four-four time signature into reversals of two-four or six-four and accent the living hell out of every turnaround in the score. Another notable track is the inventive chorded cascades Tapscott lays down in “Bibi Mkuu: The Great Black Lady,” where he moves from a restatement of Ramsey Lewis’ early version of “Wade in the Water” to an inversion of rhythmic pulse and melody, digging into the middle register for large open chords and angular arpeggios that point back to that source. The tuner rings with authority. If Tapscott would have had more time, there is no telling where he would have gone. Maybe he would have stayed in the same place he’d stayed for 30 years, helping out younger musicians from L.A. But with playing and composition like this, rattling the cage of the neo-trad punks, it’s hard to believe they could have overlooked him forever.

6 Likes

Hi @Fernando_Pereira ,

Stefano Travaglini is really brilliant. My wife and I saw him live in Ascoli Piceno (Italy) last year. Great concert in a wonderfully intimate jazz club.

Have you ever listened to his duet album with Massimilano Coclite?

6 Likes

Thank you for the two Travaglini suggestions, about to get them going for after dinner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this interesting thread :+1:

You should know this one…???
Bill Carrothers at his best !

RoonShareImage-637277629551716217

3 Likes