What makes a great JAZZ PIANIST? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Here’s another female artist I’m quite fond of, Havana-born German pianist Marialy Pacheco!

6 Likes

Thank you all for sharing your recommendations. I like a lot of them.

Here is one of my favorites:

2 Likes

Somehow we have so far managed to neglect this giant.RoonShareImage-636538519963939320

6 Likes

Great and timely recommendation (my queue is empty). Thank you.

1 Like

Roon’s Discover feature just reminded me of Michel Camilo. He is more “traditional” than my typical recommendations, but who can ignore his virtuosity, energy, and sheer enjoyment of the music? I’ve been lucky to hear him live in solos and duets with two other great jazz pianists, Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Chucho Valdés, and even as 6 hands on the same grand! He’s a blast.

He has some great clips on YouTube too.

3 Likes

@Fernando_Pereira

Don’t know him yet. Will definitely check him out. Thanks a lot, Fernando.

Well I have a few names dating back to the stone age. I suppose these would qualify as Classical Jazz, more perjoratively as Lounge Jazz. Almost all work from known tunes and riff from there. May not fit any current definitions of jazz, but they “listen good”. Here goes:

Let’s see how these go… Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi @John_V,

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, which have absolutely nothing to do with the “musical stone age” IMHO.:joy: I’d very much prefer the term “timeless music”! Alexander, Harris and Mance haven’t been mentioned here yet, if I remember correctly. BTW, Junior Mance deserves a photo, too…:joy:

1 Like

GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star

8 Likes

Another excellent pianist…

Some suggestions…

8 Likes

Thanks, John.
Your nominees certainly fit MY current definition of jazz. I’ve enjoyed many happy hours with both Gene Harris and Monty Alexander lately after hearing some great recordings for the first time at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver.

My binge listening started with a demo of the new Alexia 2 speakers from Wilson Audio that were playing Soular Energy by the Ray Brown Trio (with Harris on piano). Then I got turned on to Alexander and his trio with Milt Jackson (Soul Fusion), as well as with guitarist Ernest Ranglin on Below The Bassline. Lots of new treasures (at least new to me) to discover since then.

Now, thanks to you, I’ll be hanging out with Junior Mance, too.

1 Like

“There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.” – Duke Ellington :smile:

2 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/RrCsYKH.png

4 Likes

Happy to help. “Jazz pianist” has almost no limiting meaning, there being different eras, styles, combos and such. But on the other hand, the loose question encouraged a lot of names I hadn’t heard before.

My tastes might be called “Classic Jazz”. I also like “Classical Jazz” in the style of Jacques Loussier and Claude Bolling. Their schtick is to riff off of classical pieces. Nice to listen to.

This solo album by Larry Willis is really great and well worth a listen…

8 Likes

Anybody getting Yaron Herman Trio from TIDAL? Can’t find it.

Hi @John_V,

“Follow the White Rabbit” and more than ten other Yaron Herman albums are available on Tidal (i.e. where I live).

Sorry, I am not a Tidal subscriber.

Interesting, and I promise I wasn’t dreaming. I went to the TIDAL page and searched for Yaron, Herman, Trio, and permutations thereof. No soap.

Ah, I know what happened. I typed in Yaron, and no drop-down choices appeared. I’m thinking “no matches” but just now I hit enter with nothing selected or appearing, and he/they appear!

I’d call that a bug. It would appear that Roon and/or TIDAL don’t have their entire library indexed. Not good.

Thanks for the album start. Sigh…

Yes, that’s how search works in Roon. I think Roon has its own library indexed so if you have an album with Yaron you would get the drop down. But Roon doesn’t have the entire Tidal index locally — aside from the size, it would also require very frequent sync. So no drop down bu5 when you hit Enter, Roon sends the request to Tidal.

It would be possible to send the request to Tidal for every keystroke, Google does this, but it is extremely demanding on cloud compute power and networking.

1 Like