What to replace Squeezebox Touch with?

Thanks for the suggestion but I’d rather use something that’s current and supported by the manufacturer. And all of my devices are hard wired so wifi strength isn’t an issue. Although you said you were looking into the Orbi system. I have one with two satellites and it pretty much blankets the whole house with strong wifi.

Some of the Pi-based solutions we discussed have pre-assembled versions like these but you will still need to fiddle with the software. I can’t think of anything fully supported with a screen in your price range, and I follow this space pretty closely.

You would be very happy with one of the Sonore endpoints. (Rendu’s).

It won’t die :grinning:
If you have an appleTV, you should really try the Roon Remote TV app. It’s very nice. (Any screen with HMDI will do).

For endpoint there’s so many options. Also well below $500.

Thanks for the suggestion but as stated in my previous post, I need Roon to be able to control the volume which it can’t do with the ‘Rendus.

Rather than using an inbuilt screen, you could go with one of the many RPi combinations as a ‘headless’ endpoint.

Then hide the RPi ‘endpoint’ out of sight and use a cheap/used Amazon Fire tablet on a ‘Show Mode stand’ running the Roon Android app as the screen/controller. Which will also be more full featured and flexible in terms of placement than the inbuilt RPi screen options.

None of the DIY RPi options require much more expertise than the ability to follow some instructions / use a screwdriver and once built they should simply function like a commercial device or appliance ie. when you turn on/off the power they come straight back up as an endpoint waiting receive music.

Not wanting to get into a MQA discussion (plenty of those already) but do question if you really need/want MQA as that will substantially increase costs.

If you want an external remote / volume dial take a look at this project (RooDial) within the tinkering section here.

In short, it may make sense to split out the endpoint from the screen and volume controller and place the later two where they are most accessible to you.

1 Like

Check out the PecanPi line. All in one solution with LPS. Plug and play, no DIY. Just $50 over your budget without a screen. A tad more with screen. I had a squeezebox ecosystem for 10+ years. Love my PecanPi, no affiliation just a happy customer.

https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi-streamer

All of that said Raspberry pi is like Legos. Pretty easy to be up and running for less than $150 while you find your ultimate solution.

Wow $849 is pretty steep for a DIY box.

Yeah but this means I’ll have to turn on my TV to listen to music. Not ideal. :frowning:

Not at all. Only visually if you like. (As you requested).
The latest update also allow you to browse library etc.

You can control both (your choice) from TV or an the app on your phone or iPad.

Actually I’m able to use my appleTV remote control to stop and start playing without having TV on. As I placed the app up in top left corner in the menu.

This will apply to all endpoints that use RAAT. Not so with HQPlayer together with a Rendu as one example.

Time to work on your reading and comprehension. I specifically said “Plug and play, no DIY”. It is light years ahead of any squeezebox device I’ve had and I loved them.

Maybe it is just because I’ve not had my second cup of coffee, but you seem intent on knocking down every solution people propose. We are all tying to help you. Act accordingly. Good luck on your quest.

1 Like

Whoa, easy there. What I meant by DIY was that it looks like it was made by some guy in his garage, that’s all. Plus $849 is way above my range, which I made clear in my original post in which I asked for something in the sub-$500 range. And you knock me for reading comprehension?

can you use EDO with an Audioquest Dragonfly? the latter is so small, it’s still effectively a one box solution.

You have a link for the EDO? Sorry, I’m still a noob at this.

Thanks for the link. It sounds like I’m stuck using long discontinued technology. Although I find it a little hard to believe that I’m the only Roon user with their system stuck away in a closet. Oh, well. Off to EBay I guess to see what I can find.

Enhanced Digital Output. turns the Touch’s USB into a USB audio output:

Ahh ok gotcha. Thanks very much. But this still means that I continue to use the Touch and hope it doesn’t die. :frowning:

Looks like we’re in the same boat. :frowning:

The Touch is a very good device. Ahead of its time.
As said. The Uptone LPS power supply will raise SQ.
I use it myself. As well as several Boom and radios.