What we are listening to [2016]

Picked this up a support thread, a very interesting jazzy mix of reggae with some very interesting take on very well known songs.

SJB

Yea really enjoying this one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Listening to Van Morrison’s duets album and I click on Gregory Porter. This led me eventually to this album - no meta data but this is worth listening to for "Someday over the rainbow " alone.

SJB

1 Like

Greg Porter’s voice evokes Brook Benton, Nat King Cole, and others. Most of the songs are solid. Until Sam Cooke reincarnates, Greg Porter will do fine for this listener.

today…heavy play of Tonio K. :sunglasses:

A bout of heavy nostalgia (although I wasn’t born when it came out :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Rooned from Gregory Porter to Kurt Elling and his reinterpretation of a Coltrane and Johnny Hartman album, which led me to the original

SJB

1 Like

Stuart Hamm. Bass Guitar. Played with Vai and Satriani. Amazing bass player. Prog/Fusion.

A busker at the top of Grafton Street was playing quite a decent version of the song “Wish you were here” today which prompted me to go for the album this evening.

My favourite Floyd album.

Well worth checking out Christy Moore’s version of Shine on you crazy diamond from his album “Listen” on Tidal, sometimes a cover can show up aspects of a song the original as good as it is doesn’t hint at.

SJB

1 Like

Well, Christy Moore can do anything he wants with a song. I’ve seen two artists only hold an audience absolutely spellbound for an entirely solo show, Christy Moore and Richard Thompson.

Enjoying this one, thanks Daniel.

SJB

1 Like

John Field’s Nocturnes. An early Romantic Irish virtuoso pianist and composer. Influential on Lizt and Chopin. A fine recording of lovely solo piano; wonderful music to quietly read by.

1 Like

Purely downloaded to see how many albums "focus on similar " would produce as per another thread (1/4 of my collection is the answer).

Really enjoying it though, particularly the T-Rex inspired numbers.

SJB

Dusty Springfield…superb!

Russ

Have listened to them for over a decade. Try Felt Mountain.

1 Like

Been Listening To Van Morrison It’s Too Late To stop Now Vol 1, 2, 3, 4. And having a pint.

1 Like

@Rugby Aw come on, a pint of what?

SJB

Well, a nice home-brewed Belgian Dark Strong Ale I’ve yet to name, 9.7 ABV. :sunglasses:

Sounds impressive.

I’m stuck in a rut, but a very pleasant rut

SJB

1 Like