What we are listening to [2017]

Styx - Pieces of Eight

Testing out my new Meridian Explorer 2 via my Bryston BDP-1. No MQA yet via Roon, but it’s a nice little DAC. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can get MQA via Roon if you load an MQA master from Tidal. Not that album yet maybe. Chris

Thanks. I’m about ready to wrap for the night (1:20am in California).

Do you mean to load the album as a favorite in Tidal, and then load via Roon? My new Explorer2 isn’t tied to the computer per se, it’s USB out from a Bryston BDP-1 in my main system. Bought it in anticipation of Roon Tidal MQA compatibility. Was able to get Tidal Masters on the iMac in the office system, but my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic was limited to 24/96 (which is more than sufficient with my PSB powered monitors).

Yes, Tidal master saved as favourite will appear in Roon when you sync Tidal and Roon.
Then played via Roon PC to the explorer will give you MQA on the Explorer output. You should see the blue light.

Live performance was magical, the recording is stunning!

5 Likes

George Benson - Breezin’

This MQA title saved was in Tidal as a favorite and then Roon/ Tidal was synced. Downstream from the BDP-1 to the Explorer2 still is a single white light, but the remaster MQA is 48/24 flac and sounds very nice.

3 Likes

After acquiring this week an additional two CDs mastered with pre-emphasis, bringing the known total in my collection up to around 10, I finally developed an appropriate workflow in foobar2000 for a 16 bit FLAC to 24 bit FLAC conversion that applies digital de-emphasis to the affected CDs. Long story short, I actually can use Roon to play these albums now, using the de-emphasized versions for listening while storing the original pre-emphasized versions only for archival purposes.

AJ

Sooo good!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Jefferson Starship - Nuclear Furniture

1 Like

Perfect lazy Sunday morning music…

3 Likes

The Monkeys in Undecoded MQA sounds brilliant and Fresh.

1 Like

Started a TIDAL trial yesterday. Golly. It’s not just Dvorak’s 9th a button-click away, but 40 different recordings of it. As a recent retiree I feel like Rip Van Winkel waking up with a remote control to all the world’s music.

3 Likes

1 Like

Shazam’ed this artist on the closing credits of American Sniper and now exploring his catalogue.

1 Like

1 Like

Gary Clark Jr. Live - good stuff, but when I’m listening to headphones the volume control on the analog amp is out of reach, the level was set for chamber jazz, and Clark blew me out of my seat.