What we are listening to [2018]

It has, @AndersVinberg. Not exactly the historian myself here, but it’s quite fascinating indeed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Here is young Chinese pianist Shengliang Zhang, who performs under his nickname, Niu Niu.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Totally not my style, but somehow…

2 Likes

I’m re-exploring 80s-90s Hip-Hop at the moment.

7 Likes

1 Like

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip, @HWZ. Enjoying it now. Interesting combination, Charles Lloyd, Bill Frisell and Lucinda Williams.

9 Likes

From the singer of Tindersticks. This review snippet quite nails it:

“Memories of Love” is that truly exceptional music piece here. Starting off just with the electric piano, Staples’ solo voice and a lot of silence in between and then switching into an instrumental piece with only a glockenspiel and electric piano, all so hushed that it is not something for the middle, but something that would sound like a shriek in the dead of the night. This has previously only been achieved by another duo of perfectionists, Scott Walker and Mark Hollis on his sole solo album away from Talk Talk. — Soundblab

Oh, where is Mr. Hollis…?

2 Likes

This is growing on me, thanks for posting Dick.

Exactly!..

Listening now. Besides the superlative quality of the music and musicianship, the sound quality is really, really good. It’s amazing what they can do these days. (Listening to the 24/192 MQA version on Tidal.)

2 Likes

I compared “Impressions” on this studio album with the live version on the Impressions album, and the lost album is dramatically better. Both show Rudy Van Gelder as recording engineer, but no remastering of the Impressions album (its in MQA, I have a 24/192 version of the lost album). I assume it comes down to the original recording.

1 Like

logical follow-up :wink: