What we are listening to [2018]

RoonShareImage-636731653566422794

1 Like

5 Likes

My first ever concert in 1977 was to see Joan.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

I saw Thin Lizzy live at the Dutch Pink Pop festival back in 1978 just before this album came out.

9 Likes

I first saw Joan in '84 or '85 and have seen her a few times since. Her voice is ageless.

2 Likes

This Polish trio seems out to confuse from the start. If you’re pinning your metaphysical hopes on a jungle cat, your spiritual leanings probably lean toward ideas of oneness and harmony more than salvation from evil. Vegetables aren’t exactly things we think of in terms of lifespans. And aren’t onions poisonous to most animals anyway?

Well, if the surface wackiness is appealing, the music offers more cheery offbeat humor to match. The piano-trio format is mostly acoustic here with a few smatterings of organ throughout—the comparison to The Bad Plus is obvious, though the influences of Brad Mehldau and Esbjorn Svensson are joined by some mathematical prog and the experimental spirit of Krautrock. It’s not uncommon for these pieces to jump from one motif to the next like the abrupt turns of meandering daydreams. Everything here is clearly painstakingly rehearsed, however, even as it’s performed with freewheeling flair.

Ocelot of Salvation is often fiendishly difficult to bob heads (or sometimes even count) to, but skillfully dispatched with some amusingly head-spinning clashes of tone. The early “First Steps”/“Athenia” sequence has atonal crashes snapping straight into oddball synth- trance. “Torpor” perversely belies its title with both fast-cooking piano and unexpected brevity. The later stretch finds them enjoying a GoGo Penguin-like trance jam before stopping on a dime and and gradually breaking down into aimlessness musique concrete. When they coalesce again it’s over a lightly shuffling breakbeat washed by contemplative piano waves, before they decide to summon Miles Davis with some jerky funk-fusion. Immortal Onion offers a surprise around every corner here, a rollicking experience as fun as it is weird.

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-636732172356482600

4 Likes

Is that a real review or a humorous one?

Both, I guess. Apt even, after listening to the album twice.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Becky and the Birds. Emotional, melancholic and so,so beautiful.
This 7-track EP debut should be listened in chronological order.
Genre-bending like FKA Twigs.

51ocJ8Hu0bL

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-636726439162248455

5 Likes

RoonShareImage-636732481666960020

3 Likes

Cant resist a little Lana

3 Likes

A nice return for Brett. Better production than the last Album which is almost unlistenable as it sounds so tinny.

1 Like